Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian Humour Deficit Syndrome

Canadian Humour Deficit Syndrome

Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Humour Deficit Syndrome

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Vancouver Island is ecstatically, deliriously, divinely wonderful. At least it is for me.
x
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I remember making our Canadian friends watch The League of Gentlemen I think they where in shock for the first few episodes but they grew to love it
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I think Little Mosque can be quite good at times. .
It often makes me smile in a wash-over-you kind of way - I still think it would go down a storm on BBC2 in the UK.

Canadians certainly do have a sense of humour and they are mostly friendly. But my little quips and silly one liners are often lost - which makes me go one of two ways - to either give up completely and just smile a lot, or to keep going and hope someone gets it one day. Mostly, I just keep going

Driving car the other night, pulled up at a 4-way stop in pole position. Another driver took off first anyway so under my breath I just said "that's OK mate, you go ahead". Canadian passenger laughing her head off - like, seriously bent-double

Lady came up to a colleague the other day and said "I have some money for you" and handed over some assorted notes. I smiled and said "Do you have any for me too?" and she looked at me with a mix of indignation and horror. How could I be so crass?! It was a joke Mrs ....

Group of friends discussing a film that had George Clooney in it. Began discussing other actors or characters and I said "Who cares, it has George Clooney in it". Huh?

And that's just me being me - not particularly funny, but obviously in my own little world sometimes
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:45 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
It often makes me smile in a wash-over-you kind of way - I still think it would go down a storm on BBC2 in the UK.

Canadians certainly do have a sense of humour and they are mostly friendly. But my little quips and silly one liners are often lost - which makes me go one of two ways - to either give up completely and just smile a lot, or to keep going and hope someone gets it one day. Mostly, I just keep going

Driving car the other night, pulled up at a 4-way stop in pole position. Another driver took off first anyway so under my breath I just said "that's OK mate, you go ahead". Canadian passenger laughing her head off - like, seriously bent-double

Lady came up to a colleague the other day and said "I have some money for you" and handed over some assorted notes. I smiled and said "Do you have any for me too?" and she looked at me with a mix of indignation and horror. How could I be so crass?! It was a joke Mrs ....

Group of friends discussing a film that had George Clooney in it. Began discussing other actors or characters and I said "Who cares, it has George Clooney in it". Huh?

And that's just me being me - not particularly funny, but obviously in my own little world sometimes
You should be on TV.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:56 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate white
Judy the canadians dont have a sense of humour full stop, we found that out from day 1.
Wrong. They may not share what you call humour, that's all.

I've lived half my life in England, half in Canada and still enjoy Brit sitcoms, but most of what the Brits I know call humour is insult or sarcasm-based. So, not the same sense of humour, but different.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I remember making our Canadian friends watch The League of Gentlemen I think they where in shock for the first few episodes but they grew to love it
They must have been 'locals' by the end of it.

I grew up about 15 km from where they film it (Hadfield, Derbyshire)and they managed to capture the essence of the area very well.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno. Never seen them.
Me neither.

I understand, though, that a sense of humour is useful in Ottawa today?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You should be on TV.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
They must have been 'locals' by the end of it.

I grew up about 15 km from where they film it (Hadfield, Derbyshire)and they managed to capture the essence of the area very well.
I'm surprised you escaped with your life

I think my friends were Brits in a former life they also loved Alan Partridge.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

I find Canadians have sense of humour,majority of the staff at my work
place are Canadians -plenty of politically incorrect jokes.
In my 27 yrs.working here, we only got reported once by a student
and another occasion by 2 doctors from other wards.

Yoong
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Souvette didn't get the first episode at all. I kinda did and realised that it was really an introduction to the characters. She buggered off to another TV while I watched a further three episodes and got the hang of the thing. I persuaded her to come back for another look and she, like me, pi$$ed herself over the appraisal scene. She works in federal government. She can relate.

The Office is, in my opinion, not only very funny but extremely clever in its concept.
Is the appraisal episode the one where the guy from accounts does the "always, mostly, sometimes, infrequently, never or dont know" always picking "dont know" to increasingly annoyed David Brent. Very funny. The one that really makes me cringe is his "Gig" at the motivation seminar.

I can't really think of any Canadian comedy on UK TV appart from the series with the mounty (with husky type dog i think) and the chicago cop. That must be quite a long time ago and was probably american anyway.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimf
I can't really think of any Canadian comedy on UK TV appart from the series with the mounty (with husky type dog i think) and the chicago cop. That must be quite a long time ago and was probably american anyway.
Due South. I loved that programme. The second series was half funded by the BBC I believe, due to the protestations from the UK when it was about to be cancelled.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
That would be "Due South"

Most canadian comedy tallent gets sucked down to the US sooner or later, whether it be Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, or the likes of Bill Murray, John Candy, Eugene Levy and Dan Ackroyd, or Lesley Neilson before that generation.

The truth is most canadian tallent is just assumed to be american anyway.

"Made in Canada" is the name of the show I couldnt remember before.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

They don't get British humour.

A major problem for Canadians, and Americans for that matter, is that British humour is very regionalized, to say nothing of the multitude of strange dialects. It doesn't have the required effect with the Close Captioned turned on. The only part of Canada I can think of with that "problem" is Newfoundland. Now the southern states of USA are another matter.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

What about Corner Gas?

Ok, maybe I've been in Canada too long. My Dutch husband thinks it hilarious but my Dutch Mother-in-Law says "it's too Canadian".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.