Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is Canada really as big as it looks??

Is Canada really as big as it looks??

Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada really as big as it looks??

Originally Posted by owen
We've been looking at deserting the UK for somewhere new, and have thought about Canada, but have been put off so far by just one thing - the size! Is Canada really as big as it looks?

There is no way we would consider leaving the UK to settle somewhere substantially bigger, so is Canada the right place to consider?

It's actually all a rumor.

Canada is really quite small.

You should book a reccie....a week should do it. Plan to fly into Vancouver, hire a car and take a drive over to Halifax stopping off for the odd day or two on the way.

If you have any time left over before flying back you could always drive down to Florida and spend a couple of nights in Disneyland
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:11 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Toronto is considered on the eastern side of Canada and no where near the middle. I have to go to Cape Breton with work at some point in the next month or two, and I checked it out on Google Maps. If I were to drive from Toronto to Cape Breton (the island on the top end of Nova Scotia) it is 1,998km. And that's the short route. If I were to drive the other way to Vancouver it would be 4,370 km approximately by the shortest route.

So yes, Canada is big. Ontario on its own is about 4.5 times the area of the Untied Kingdom. Canada as a whole is approximately the same area as Europe, and that includes all of European Russia as well.

Bless ... you thought this was a serious question, didn't you?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
And some fell on stoney ground!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:41 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Sniff. I really should read better. I don't get as much net time as I used to so I skim read more, but reading every third word just doesn't seem to do it. Never mind eh?

I'm fairly sure it was all Zoe's fault though.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:39 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Yes. Sniff. I really should read better. I don't get as much net time as I used to so I skim read more, but reading every third word just doesn't seem to do it. Never mind eh?

I'm fairly sure it was all Zoe's fault though.
I thought it was a very sweet reply!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Get your scissors out and cut off the pale bits from the map. There. Canada's a much more manageable size and definitely worth considering now, isn't it?

I must admit the nurse's wages do attract........could you not tow it down south towards the caribbean??!!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

......could you not tow it down south towards the caribbean??!!
You could hang on for this to happen
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
You could hang on for this to happen
OMG that so funny, just cos some canadians there!!

Mind you, would be nice being in Calgary in the summer and the caribbean in the winter

Now, is there an ICU in Turks and Caicos......................
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:43 am
little snowy owl

Now, is there an ICU in Turks and Caicos......................
My big brother's been living there for a year and a half on a two year contract with the Royal Turks and Caicos Police...... Ok I know that has naught to do with the price of fish, I'm just bragging that I've heard of Turks and Caicos!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:45 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

My big brother's been living there for a year and a half on a two year contract with the Royal Turks and Caicos Police...... Ok I know that has naught to do with the price of fish, I'm just bragging that I've heard of Turks and Caicos!
We drove from Kelowna, BC to Halifax N.S and averaging 3/4 hours a day driving it took us three weeks to do it - and everyday we still could not get over HOW BLOODY BIG IT IS!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
We drove from Kelowna, BC to Halifax N.S and averaging 3/4 hours a day driving it took us three weeks to do it - and everyday we still could not get over HOW BLOODY BIG IT IS!
Yes but did you have kids in the back going "Are we nearly there yet??"
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Driving just 45 mins a day! Lazy gits
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:59 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

We drove from Kelowna, BC to Halifax N.S and averaging 3 /4 hours a day driving it took us three weeks to do it - and everyday we still could not get over HOW BLOODY BIG IT IS!
So if you'd driven for 7 hours a day, you'd have done it in a week and a half. Or was that impossible because of the all the bathroom breaks.....
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

fionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nice

Yes you know Canada is big when you find out UK and Greece could both fit in Alberta alone, I only know this because we worked it out as part of a grade 6 science project.

Fiona
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:53 pm
little snowy owl

sigh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.