Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is Canada really as big as it looks??

Is Canada really as big as it looks??

Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Is Canada really as big as it looks??

We've been looking at deserting the UK for somewhere new, and have thought about Canada, but have been put off so far by just one thing - the size! Is Canada really as big as it looks?

There is no way we would consider leaving the UK to settle somewhere substantially bigger, so is Canada the right place to consider?

Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Canada really as big as it looks??

Originally Posted by owen
We've been looking at deserting the UK for somewhere new, and have thought about Canada, but have been put off so far by just one thing - the size! Is Canada really as big as it looks?

There is no way we would consider leaving the UK to settle somewhere substantially bigger, so is Canada the right place to consider?

So are you in the UK or NZ?

Either way stay where you are Canada is roughly 41 times larger than the United Kingdom.

Last edited by Steve_P; Feb 16th 2008 at 4:24 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I'll get me coat!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll get me coat!
Does this mean you're coming anyway?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Happy_Feet will become famous soon enough

did someone say big? i like big

definetly coming to canada now!

mrs happy feet
Old Feb 16th 2008, 5:44 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Your Funny!!!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:52 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

On my map, Toronto is only a wee pinkie finger away from NS but someone told me it was 17 hours driving.

Surely they jest
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:34 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto is considered on the eastern side of Canada and no where near the middle. I have to go to Cape Breton with work at some point in the next month or two, and I checked it out on Google Maps. If I were to drive from Toronto to Cape Breton (the island on the top end of Nova Scotia) it is 1,998km. And that's the short route. If I were to drive the other way to Vancouver it would be 4,370 km approximately by the shortest route.

So yes, Canada is big. Ontario on its own is about 4.5 times the area of the Untied Kingdom. Canada as a whole is approximately the same area as Europe, and that includes all of European Russia as well.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:41 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Some years ago when we lived in Port Perry, my sister-in-law and her OH stayed with us. One morning they announced their intention to hire a car and "pop over to Vancouver for the day". Our reaction was . We then showed them a map.......
A couple of years ago another SIL wanted us to drive her down to the Grand Canyon for the day......she'd pay the petrol and pack a picnic
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:42 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Toronto is considered on the eastern side of Canada and no where near the middle. I have to go to Cape Breton with work at some point in the next month or two, and I checked it out on Google Maps. If I were to drive from Toronto to Cape Breton (the island on the top end of Nova Scotia) it is 1,998km. And that's the short route. If I were to drive the other way to Vancouver it would be 4,370 km approximately by the shortest route.

So yes, Canada is big. Ontario on its own is about 4.5 times the area of the Untied Kingdom. Canada as a whole is approximately the same area as Europe, and that includes all of European Russia as well.
Oh, you will pass though the my town of New Glasgow enroute.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:44 am
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by oldbag
Some years ago when we lived in Port Perry, my sister-in-law and her OH stayed with us. One morning they announced their intention to hire a car and "pop over to Vancouver for the day". Our reaction was . We then showed them a map.......
A couple of years ago another SIL wanted us to drive her down to the Grand Canyon for the day......she'd pay the petrol and pack a picnic
I have been told by a few people that they have friends coming over to Canada for a couple of weeks vacation. When I ask which part they are visiting, they reply "oh, I don't know, they are hiring a car and will be travelling all over".
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:59 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

My father said he'll come visit us in Toronto, and he'll take a few days to a week and maybe take a leisurely bike drive to and through the Rockies. Sigh.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:39 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

It's so big... my beaver... oh, nevermind.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Get your scissors out and cut off the pale bits from the map. There. Canada's a much more manageable size and definitely worth considering now, isn't it?

Attached Thumbnails Is Canada really as big as it looks??-image.gif  

Last edited by Biiiiink; Feb 17th 2008 at 1:44 am.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Get your scissors out and cut off the pale bits from the map. There. Canada's a much more manageable size and definitely worth considering now, isn't it?

Its a little known fact that the Canadian government wants to make Canada seem bigger to scare the people to the south, so they paid the mapmakers to strech out those white bits up to the north pole. The mapmakers were double agents in the pay of Denmark, the USA, and Russia, so they balked at stretching Baffin Island so far. The truth is that most of Canada is within 100 miles of the US border and Iqaluit is in a frozen food warehouse just off the 401.

I find that looking out of my window I can see just as far as I could in England. Unless there's a blizzard, or my specs need cleaning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.