Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canada - "proof" that state controlled drinking is good for health

Canada - "proof" that state controlled drinking is good for health

Old May 1st 2013, 5:16 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada - "proof" that state controlled drinking is good for health

Originally Posted by Oink
No, they drink at home, a lot. There's something quite disturbing the way Canadians drink.
That is quite true.

I have been in this fairly large city since 2004. I can probably count the number of times I have been to a bar on the fingers of two hands and I have no desire to revisit any of them.

My local gas station stocks more beer than most British hypermarkets.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Canadians drink like they do everything else... homogenously, and by the season.

Oh, it's summer, so I'll have Baileys in my coffee!
Oh, it's patio time, let's have a cold beer!
Oh, it's winter, let's have a rum and coke!

I know plenty of Canadians who like to get spectacularly drunk - fair play there - but I don't see any appreciation for the taste. Is there such a thing as CAMRA in Canada? Very few pubs seem to take pride in the variety and quality of their products, it's just like Britain in the 70s/80s in that respect.
When I lived in Oregon there was quite the appreciation for smaller craft style beer. While it was quite good stuff, they got a bit pompous and OTT like the CAMRA lot so I just drank lager. It had to be Heineken as they think Stella is posh so that wouldn't do.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I do think the taxes on Alcohol here is ridiculous, BC has a fantastic cultural asset of craft wines and beers, yet they are continually slapped in the face with taxes and restrictions, the government seems to have no appreciation for what it has here. If "posher" beers and wines were more affordable, it would probably encourage a more social drinking culture and less of a "drink a pack of the cheapest beer in my basement" one.

When I lived in Oregon there was quite the appreciation for smaller craft style beer. While it was quite good stuff, they got a bit pompous and OTT like the CAMRA lot so I just drank lager. It had to be Heineken as they think Stella is posh so that wouldn't do.
I watched this video a while ago about Oregon and it does seem like they're quite into their beers - this place has 32 on tap.

Old May 1st 2013, 5:36 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can see that out of the window here any weekday afternoon. Just yesterday I heard some cradle clucking about all those drunk homeless youths across the road. I was much amused when a Nepalese programmer, of whom I had previously thought little, started in with the questions I don't bother asking the locals:

"How do you know they're homeless? They could be students"

"Why do you think it's just the drink? There's weed and meth sold on the corner"

etc. etc.

The streets I see in Canada are strewn with bodies morning noon and night, people routinely get drunk and freeze to death outside our office. If, statistically, Canada has less substance abuse than the UK, that's because the Canadians a) focus on booze alone and b) don't notice and so don't count the native population.
There's always going to be alcohol and substance abuse. In Britain the issue is supermarkets selling alcohol at below cost as a loss leader and pubs offering extreme happy hours both of which encourage excess consumption (amongst the price sensitive).
Old May 1st 2013, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
That is quite true.

I have been in this fairly large city since 2004. I can probably count the number of times I have been to a bar on the fingers of two hands and I have no desire to revisit any of them.

My local gas station stocks more beer than most British hypermarkets.
I love the description of this Hull landmark

http://wikimapia.org/1680349/Taverne-Le-Whip

Is this one of the fine establishments you have been in.?
Old May 1st 2013, 5:42 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

How much is a pint in a regular pub in the UK now? About $4:50 - $5 gets a large beer in Ontario. (That was last Summer)
Old May 1st 2013, 5:48 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard

There's always going to be alcohol and substance abuse. In Britain the issue is supermarkets selling alcohol at below cost as a loss leader and pubs offering extreme happy hours both of which encourage excess consumption (amongst the price sensitive).
Explain how continental European countries with cheap alcohol don't suffer the binge drinking mentality to the same degree. It's not cost, it's culture.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
How much is a pint in a regular pub in the UK now? About $4:50 - $5 gets a large beer in Ontario. (That was last Summer)
No extra tax and no tip required and you get a proper pint.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:52 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I love the description of this Hull landmark

http://wikimapia.org/1680349/Taverne-Le-Whip

Is this one of the fine establishments you have been in.?
No but I know where it is. It's next door to the SAQ Depot, which contains enough booze to keep the city going for a week.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:54 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
but I don't see any appreciation for the taste. Is there such a thing as CAMRA in Canada? Very few pubs seem to take pride in the variety and quality of their products, it's just like Britain in the 70s/80s in that respect.
Well, not CAMRA, no, there being not much in the way of real ale widely available here, although it can be found in places in ON for example. In this part of the world I am a member of the grandly entitled "Artisanal and Craft Beer Club of Newfoundland and Labrador". Essentially, two beer afficianados have an arrangement with the local liquor corp whereby they get us to sign up to buying a certain quantity of whatever craft beer of the month they plan to bring in, the liquor corp brings it in and we go pick it up at the local store, paying the liquor corp directly. It all works rather well. The founders of the club are a bit poncy about their beer but we do get to drink some stuff that otherwise we wouldn't.

Last weekend, we and some others went here http://www.yellowbellybrewery.com/ for supper. Food is OK and the beer is pretty good. My kids love it for the silly name. If that means we can go for a family supper and daddy can have a few pints then I'm all for it.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:57 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

No extra tax and no tip required and you get a proper pint.
Not far off then?

At Boston Pizza they sell them BIG glasses for $8 I think they are almost 3 pint glasses. Still Canadians in Ontario leave after eating.

I think like a few others on here, nothing to do with the cost, it's culture. They even drink responsibly at soccer and hockey games, in the stands, it is annoying, coz I know that once I start, I just can't stop. So I don't start :@)
Old May 1st 2013, 5:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Well, not CAMRA, no, there being not much in the way of real ale widely available here, although it can be found in places in ON for example.
It was not without some regret that, last Friday, we sold the house within crawling distance of here:

http://www.woolwicharrow.ca/
Old May 1st 2013, 6:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It was not without some regret that, last Friday, we sold the house within crawling distance of here:

http://www.woolwicharrow.ca/
Oh that looks rather nice.
Old May 1st 2013, 6:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians certainly do drink at home. When I arrived back from France last week I found (to my delight) 5 half full bottles of various single malts in the basement "family" room and 2 bottles of vodka in the kitchen freezer. All thanks to my house-sitting son's Canadian friends.
Old May 1st 2013, 6:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Oh that looks rather nice.
Always a couple of cask ales, lots of other interesting beers, quality cider, edible food and not heavily up itself. It's what you want to have round the corner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.