Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canada - "proof" that state controlled drinking is good for health

Canada - "proof" that state controlled drinking is good for health

Old May 1st 2013, 12:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada - "proof" that state controlled drinking is good for health

Bet there are a few opinions on this.

New research finds minimum alcohol prices in Canada save lives without harming the drinks industry
Old May 1st 2013, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada - "proof" that state controlled drinking is good for health

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I expect it's bollocks, if drink is expensive people take drugs instead, and Canadians drift through life in a dopey blur. However, the worst of the alcohol distribution mechanism in Ontario isn't the minimum pricing but the state run stores; in addition to collecting high prices they limit choice, limit access, and employ an army of affluent civil servants to no good purpose. It would be possible to have minimum prices and still have beer, wines and spirits in Costco as well as specialty wine stores offering the broad range of products one sees in such wine meccas as Buffalo NY and Denver CO.

Oh, and thinking not only of the drink but cigarette smoking laws in Canada, one has to ask "at what price is health worth having?". Is ten more years of living healthily in, say, Mississauga, a blessing or a curse?

Last edited by dbd33; May 1st 2013 at 12:59 pm.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I expect it's bollocks, if drink is expensive people take drugs instead, and Canadians drift through life in a dopey blur. However, the worst of the alcohol distribution mechanism in Ontario isn't the minimum pricing but the state run stores; in addition to collecting high prices they limit choice, limit access, and employ an army of affluent civil servants to no good purpose. It would be possible to have minimum prices and still have beer, wines and spirits in Costco as well as specialty wine stores offering the broad range of products one sees in such wine meccas as Buffalo NY and Denver CO.

Oh, and thinking not only of the drink but cigarette smoking laws in Canada, one has to ask "at what price is health worth having?". Is ten more years of living healthily in, say, Mississauga, a blessing or a curse?
It's not bs at all, and although some would substitute cheap drugs (if they indeed are that cheap) many would not. You only need to visit a UK high street on a Friday or Saturday night to see the young and impoverished lying in gutters from over consuming dirt cheap drinks much as they would have done in Hogarth's time. England should follow Scotland and Canada in introducing minimum pricing (though state control is going a bit too far).
Old May 1st 2013, 2:34 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

IMO it's more to do with the culture. The drinking and pub culture is only a fraction of that in the UK. It's more coffee n a movie here.

Not high on my list, but on the list of things that would improve my health was the fact that the pub culture was not as popular in Canada. And it's not !
Old May 1st 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
England should follow Scotland and Canada in introducing minimum pricing (though state control is going a bit too far).
Kids today... when I was young, the reprobates would brew huge barrels of horrible-tasting but strong beer themselves for a cost of pretty much nothing.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
IMO it's more to do with the culture. The drinking and pub culture is only a fraction of that in the UK. It's more coffee n a movie here.

Not high on my list, but on the list of things that would improve my health was the fact that the pub culture was not as popular in Canada. And it's not !
I agree with you on that. I've been to Norway plenty of times and alcohol is incredible expensive there but people still get hammered. Because Canadians rather have only a couple drinks and a bbq or a coffee after work or soda at the work's Christmas do they drink less. If there was a drinking/pub culture the price of alcohol or LCBO restrictions wouldn't stop people from drinking.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
I agree with you on that. I've been to Norway plenty of times and alcohol is incredible expensive there but people still get hammered. Because Canadians rather have only a couple drinks and a bbq or a coffee after work or soda at the work's Christmas do they drink less. If there was a drinking/pub culture the price of alcohol or LCBO restrictions wouldn't stop people from drinking.
No, they drink at home, a lot. There's something quite disturbing the way Canadians drink.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
. You only need to visit a UK high street on a Friday or Saturday night to see the young and impoverished lying in gutters from over consuming dirt cheap drinks much as they would have done in Hogarth's time.
I can see that out of the window here any weekday afternoon. Just yesterday I heard some cradle clucking about all those drunk homeless youths across the road. I was much amused when a Nepalese programmer, of whom I had previously thought little, started in with the questions I don't bother asking the locals:

"How do you know they're homeless? They could be students"

"Why do you think it's just the drink? There's weed and meth sold on the corner"

etc. etc.

The streets I see in Canada are strewn with bodies morning noon and night, people routinely get drunk and freeze to death outside our office. If, statistically, Canada has less substance abuse than the UK, that's because the Canadians a) focus on booze alone and b) don't notice and so don't count the native population.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
No, they drink at home, a lot. There's something quite disturbing the way Canadians drink.
They drink in their trucks. Walk along the verge of any country road, scrape away the fag ends and Tim Horton's cups, and there's a rich bounty in deposits on bottles thrown out of the window.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So going out to a bar/pub and ordering 8 rum and cokes at $5 each plus tip is more desirable than say picking up a 26 oz bottle of rum and a couple of 2 litre bottles of coke for the same price if not even cheaper and drinking as much as you want at home.

Its minus 30C outside where would you sooner be?
Old May 1st 2013, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Its minus 30C outside where would you sooner be?
Florida.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Noooo, canadians seem to be divided into the holier than thou2 drinks and you're an alkie crowd and the lets drink beer while mowing the lawn, fixing the roof, ooo how about a shot party and where's the wacky baccy lot
Old May 1st 2013, 4:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Heavy drinking seems to be the norm in these parts with George St (Most pubs per capita of any city in North America) being Soddom and Gomorrah any night of the week. In the event of a forecasted blizzard or hurricane, Liquor stores do a roaring trade. "Yes by' got me a 24 and a snow shovel, I'm all set." I know of apparently otherwise sensible people who consider it quite acceptable to get on their quads and ride over to someone elses cabin, get pissed and ride back. But of course drink driving in cars and trucks is wrong.

There seems to be a bit of a taboo with lunchtime drinking though. Work colleagues look at me as though I'm some kind of alcoholic if I have a small beer with my lunch.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:06 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians do drink at home, yes I can agree with that. But the ones I know and my neighbours just do a bottle or two. To me that's not having a drinking problem, or culture, it's just having a couple. Then they stop and put on the kettle.

We have a free bar at our Xmas doo every year. No one is carried out or arrested. In Britain it would not be a cost effective bar.

I don't see 100's of Canadians binge drinking their way through the week ends.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians drink like they do everything else... homogenously, and by the season.

Oh, it's summer, so I'll have Baileys in my coffee!
Oh, it's patio time, let's have a cold beer!
Oh, it's winter, let's have a rum and coke!

I know plenty of Canadians who like to get spectacularly drunk - fair play there - but I don't see any appreciation for the taste. Is there such a thing as CAMRA in Canada? Very few pubs seem to take pride in the variety and quality of their products, it's just like Britain in the 70s/80s in that respect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.