Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is this "Canada" or just Shaw? TV

Is this "Canada" or just Shaw? TV

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this "Canada" or just Shaw? TV

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My husband and I are still debating what to do when we move into our house later this year when it comes to cable.

The majority of what we watch is through Netflix or iPlayer (behind UnoTelly). There's news online, and BBC streams their news so if we want to actually have the news on, we can do that. Our sticking point is sports - football and hockey, mainly. We could pay for NHL GameCentre, which works to watch Leafs games from behind UnoTelly, but we'd be stuck for the playoffs since GameCentre doesn't broadcast those at all. My husband wants to be able to watch some football games, but we haven't been able to find any reasonable streaming options. Open for suggestions on any of these...

Both televisions will have computers or Chromecast hooked up to them, so getting content onto the physical TV isn't an issue - and we wouldn't be opposed to something like Roku or whatever either. Curious to know what others are doing.
I like the options for international content (specifically BBC) on UnoTelly. I went to their official site but I don't see any physical UnoTelly device that I can connect to the TV. Or is UnoTelly just another piece of software for external devices? There's a list of setup instructions on how to get it on Roku and various smart TVs, but there doesn't seem to be a uniquely UnoTelly physical device.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:05 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
I like the options for international content (specifically BBC) on UnoTelly. I went to their official site but I don't see any physical UnoTelly device that I can connect to the TV. Or is UnoTelly just another piece of software for external devices? There's a list of setup instructions on how to get it on Roku and various smart TVs, but there doesn't seem to be a uniquely UnoTelly physical device.
It's not a physical device, it's a DNS service. So we pay $40 for one year of service with them, and the settings are programmed right at the router, so any device behind the router (with the exception of Chromecast) gets redirected automatically... phones, computers, TVs, etc. So when I got to Netflix, it puts me in the US. When I go to BBC, it puts me in the UK. There's no changing any settings or anything, just automatically redirects. The speed is just fine (we live-streamed the Cambridge-Oxford boat race from BBC). It also works for a bucket of other services... for example, for NHL GameCentre, I can tell it I'm in, say, California, which would let me watch all the Leafs games, but only the regular season games as playoff games aren't broadcast. It also works with ITV, 4OD, Hulu, all the American TV network websites, etc.

Send me a PM if you want more details.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Proper football. As in, the sport where you kick a ball with your foot, not the other one.

So with what you said in other posts, you're okay for BBC and ITV - presumably channel 5 too.

For 2014-15, UEFA's Champions League is on ITV and Sky (BT for 2015 onwards)

ITV should be no problem. BBC will have Match of the Day live and repeats. And you seem without the buffering issues that a lot have with BBC.

Sky can be watched (targeted) on various streaming sites.

Something like feed2all which has a list of links on 'the day' and clicking skysports will show Skysports one to four.

The quality is usually acceptable or better.

Wiziwig is usually reliable too. See the match list, click on the match and the streams listed indicate whether Flash player or something else that might need downloading, but there are plenty off flash options.

A big advantage of wiziwig is the indication of what channel is broadcasting. So you can get straight to an English commentary without clicking two or three until you get one. Or if you loathe a particular commentator, look for a different English broadcast.

When the world cup was on, I couldn't face CBC so I watched on ITV (Thanks MediaHint) and when BBC had the game I had buffering problems so I sought BBC on wiziwig. Picture quality not up to the BBC standard (still acceptable) but at least it didn't keep stopping.

The cutback I just made probably loses me about a third of the games I'd normally see on telly - including losing a choice when there are 2 or 3 games at the same time but I'm confident I can cover it by streaming.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:43 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

So with what you said in other posts, you're okay for BBC and ITV - presumably channel 5 too.

For 2014-15, UEFA's Champions League is on ITV and Sky (BT for 2015 onwards)

ITV should be no problem. BBC will have Match of the Day live and repeats. And you seem without the buffering issues that a lot have with BBC.

Sky can be watched (targeted) on various streaming sites.

Something like feed2all which has a list of links on 'the day' and clicking skysports will show Skysports one to four.

The quality is usually acceptable or better.

Wiziwig is usually reliable too. See the match list, click on the match and the streams listed indicate whether Flash player or something else that might need downloading, but there are plenty off flash options.

A big advantage of wiziwig is the indication of what channel is broadcasting. So you can get straight to an English commentary without clicking two or three until you get one. Or if you loathe a particular commentator, look for a different English broadcast.

When the world cup was on, I couldn't face CBC so I watched on ITV (Thanks MediaHint) and when BBC had the game I had buffering problems so I sought BBC on wiziwig. Picture quality not up to the BBC standard (still acceptable) but at least it didn't keep stopping.

The cutback I just made probably loses me about a third of the games I'd normally see on telly - including losing a choice when there are 2 or 3 games at the same time but I'm confident I can cover it by streaming.
Ahhhh this is totally brilliant. Thank you for sharing! I'll have a look at some of it and go from there.

I agree with your statement about CBC during the world cup, btw ... they had the EPSN announcers, which was just infuriating. At least when they are broadcasting Premier League games they have the English announcers!
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:08 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Following changes in TV viewing habits We have reduced our package to one that costs $50 instead of $100.

What's irritating now though is going through the channels, those we no longer get still appear but with a caption saying a subscription is needed.

But why can't we just go through available channels rather than all?
Good business practice. It lets you see what you're not getting.

When we went back to the UK a few years ago I signed up for Sky. When you take their box, for the first 30 days you get absolutely everything. Then, after 30 days, you have to decide what you want to 'give up'. You still see every channel on the menu list. I thought that was a smart trick. It's always harder to give something up than to have never had it.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a physical device, it's a DNS service. So we pay $40 for one year of service with them, and the settings are programmed right at the router, so any device behind the router (with the exception of Chromecast) gets redirected automatically... phones, computers, TVs, etc. So when I got to Netflix, it puts me in the US. When I go to BBC, it puts me in the UK. There's no changing any settings or anything, just automatically redirects. The speed is just fine (we live-streamed the Cambridge-Oxford boat race from BBC). It also works for a bucket of other services... for example, for NHL GameCentre, I can tell it I'm in, say, California, which would let me watch all the Leafs games, but only the regular season games as playoff games aren't broadcast. It also works with ITV, 4OD, Hulu, all the American TV network websites, etc.

Send me a PM if you want more details.
I pretty much get the general idea of what it is now. I'll add its gold package to my list of subscriptions in lieu of getting a TiVo subscription, since Shaw offers free DVR services.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll have to look at that again.

We all agreed that the 'losses' were not worth the $50 a month but there's a bit of a rebellion now because of the blank screens coming up.
OK, I think I may have inadvertently found a Shaw-based solution to your dislike for blank screens. If you get Shaw's HD PVR, it looks like you have the option to hide the channels you don't want to see:

Why Gateway - Gateway Whole Home HDPVR - Shaw.ca

It seems like the only cost of DVR services is the one-time purchase of the equipment itself.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

The cable tv in Canada is just a rip off.When Im home in Mexico I pay $18 a month for the local cable .It has 110 channels,its basic and does have a lot of channels in spanish of course but has Warner ,CNN,Fox,FX etc in english where you watch Big Bang ,2 an half men ,some movie channels.I get the mexican la liga and boxing and up until last year I was getting the EPL live games but someone pulled the plug on that so Im thinking of changing to Sky which is about $25 a month and has Sky Sports ,with that and Netflix for $8 its a good deal.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I think I may have inadvertently found a Shaw-based solution to your dislike for blank screens. If you get Shaw's HD PVR
Thanks for the thought.

I think anything to do with HD ups the minimum cost and that defeats the object of going for the bare minimum.

But we've just done a list of what we have, so hopefully no more reminders of the blanks.***

Get this...my step daughter who, for two days running, watched back to back House on Netflix and then whinged about missing channels the day the change took effect, is back watching House on Netflix. Out of choice, rather than necessity.

***Funny thing....I was expecting to only have one version of each of CTV, CBC, Global etc but it seems we still have multiple versions after all. That's a bit of a surprise because they do charge extra for that and once upon a time that was an advantage worth paying for as it allowed you to watch something at different times.

So there aren't as many blank screens where most of the channel numbers are after all.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 23rd 2014 at 5:26 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:38 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Good business practice. It lets you see what you're not getting.
Just like when there only used to be one sports channel and you saw all the football broadcast on one channel. Then they'd make a second channel and spread the matches over both so you had to pay extra just to get the same service.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

With Shaw it depends on which cable box you have, if you have one of the basic no frills box then it shows all potential channels even the ones you don't get.

The more advanced DVR's don't do this and only show the channels you subscribe to.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Following changes in TV viewing habits We have reduced our package to one that costs $50 instead of $100.

There are 3 or 4 channels that we will miss - as in more than just no longer have (although I know we can stream or download the series/events broadcast on them so we'll not actually lose them) - but they really aren't worth the $50 it costs to keep them.

What's irritating now though is going through the channels, those we no longer get still appear but with a caption saying a subscription is needed.

Obviously we'll now need to learn the numbers of what we do get, whereas previously it didn't really matter as we could just go to where, say, CBC numbers were grouped together and that would do it.

But why can't we just go through available channels rather than all?

It is possible to select by category and you can work your way through that way. There ought to be a "what I have subscribed to" category so you only see those channels instead of hopping from 300 to 400 to find the 12 (whatever) you do get.

Back in the UK, my cable box just took me only to numbers of channels I was receiving when I used the up/down arrows.

So much easier.

So...is this just a case of another Canadian service being backwards or is it just Shaw not making the best use of technology?

It is likely due to the manufacturers of the boxes (Scientific Atlanta, etc.) not bothering to incorporate that into their units.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably just Shaw. When I lived in Canada, I had Shaw's TV and internet package. I had the exact same problem when it came to channels that weren't included in the package.

Rogers is the same way. Then again, my TV package includes damned near every channel they offer so I don't notice it very often.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:34 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Telus allows displaying by categories, subscribed only, hd only, all channels etc.
From memory (painful as the memory is) of having Bell...they had a similar set up. I'm pretty sure it could be configured to show only channels we could actually watch.

Glad to be free of that waste of money though. Pushing $70 for about 10 channels that actually showed anything half decent.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:35 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I are still debating what to do when we move into our house later this year when it comes to cable.

The majority of what we watch is through Netflix or iPlayer (behind UnoTelly). There's news online, and BBC streams their news so if we want to actually have the news on, we can do that. Our sticking point is sports - football and hockey, mainly. We could pay for NHL GameCentre, which works to watch Leafs games from behind UnoTelly, but we'd be stuck for the playoffs since GameCentre doesn't broadcast those at all. My husband wants to be able to watch some football games, but we haven't been able to find any reasonable streaming options. Open for suggestions on any of these...

Both televisions will have computers or Chromecast hooked up to them, so getting content onto the physical TV isn't an issue - and we wouldn't be opposed to something like Roku or whatever either. Curious to know what others are doing.
hockeystreams.com but you'll want to get your name on the waiting list.

No thanks required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.