camping

Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:25 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of
Default camping

what is camping like in Canada? and do many people camp with tents or do they prefer caravans & cabins?

i love camping (with a tent) and plan to do it a lot in summer (mostly in Alberta and BC i guess) and want to take the dogs too.

any recommendations?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: camping

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
what is camping like in Canada? and do many people camp with tents or do they prefer caravans & cabins?

i love camping (with a tent) and plan to do it a lot in summer (mostly in Alberta and BC i guess) and want to take the dogs too.

any recommendations?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:36 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

nice set of wheels! but i always associate those 'homes on wheels' with pensioners, Germans and the Dutch. can you really call that camping?

seriously, does anyone still camp with a tent?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Yes tonnes of people camp with tents. Camping is HUGE here. Lots of people upgrade to something more luxurious when they can afford it as many sites only have eco toilets - saying that many more have more faciilities too. One thing I have noticed with tenting is that the tarp is put over the the tent (suspended in the trees), I suppose it helps keep the tent dry. Have a look at the Woodalls site.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:51 pm
happy daisy

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yes tonnes of people camp with tents. Camping is HUGE here. Lots of people upgrade to something more luxurious when they can afford it as many sites only have eco toilets - saying that many more have more faciilities too. One thing I have noticed with tenting is that the tarp is put over the the tent (suspended in the trees), I suppose it helps keep the tent dry. Have a look at the Woodalls site.
thanks for the tip. i've bookmarged the Woodalls site
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

If you are thinking of BC take a look at www.discovercamping.ca It is the site for advance booking camp sites in the BC Provincial Parks. Not sure how they feel about dogs - would guess ok if on leash. The site doesn't start taking bookings until April 1st so gives you some time to research....You don't HAVE to book in advance but if you know a great place it does help!

Have fun
Lisa
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:49 pm
happy daisy

Originally Posted by leepee
If you are thinking of BC take a look at www.discovercamping.ca It is the site for advance booking camp sites in the BC Provincial Parks. Not sure how they feel about dogs - would guess ok if on leash. The site doesn't start taking bookings until April 1st so gives you some time to research....You don't HAVE to book in advance but if you know a great place it does help!

Have fun
Lisa
excellent, thanks! I'm jumping the gun a bit with my research. We will only move to Alberta (hopefully) towards the end of this year, so the camping will have to wait until 2011
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Camping in Canada is meant to be a big thing for them but I've found their campsites are really quite crap and not very pleasant at all. In the UK the campsites are much better. Some have swimming pools, fish and chip shops, pubs, discos and even amusement rides for the kids. My Dad would even get his morning paper delivered to our caravan. Over here they don't have half the facilities you got back home.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Camping in Canada is meant to be a big thing for them but I've found their campsites are really quite crap and not very pleasant at all. In the UK the campsites are much better. Some have swimming pools, fish and chip shops, pubs, discos and even amusement rides for the kids. My Dad would even get his morning paper delivered to our caravan. Over here they don't have half the facilities you got back home.
Depends. There are plenty of Butliz type campsites in Ontario and Nova Scotia. Generally the federally run ones are of that nature; people packed tightly together, kept docile by massive consumption of drugs and alcohol, while the provincially run ones are geared more to people who want space. There are exceptions, of course, some provincial sites near
Toronto have the charm of Coney/Canvey Island or Wasaga Beach.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Depends. There are plenty of Butliz type campsites in Ontario and Nova Scotia. Generally the federally run ones are of that nature; people packed tightly together, kept docile by massive consumption of drugs and alcohol, while the provincially run ones are geared more to people who want space. There are exceptions, of course, some provincial sites near
Toronto have the charm of Coney/Canvey Island or Wasaga Beach.
Maybe its just BC that has crap ones.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:07 pm

Peterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant future

any recommendations?
We go camping ( In a tent) 3-4 times during the summer and love it , We are in Ontario and like Algonquin Park the best. Check them out at ... www.ontarioparks.ca
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:17 pm
happy daisy

actually, that doesn't appeal to me at all! I like to camp in nature, with space and without crowds. A toilet & shower will do me fine.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

any recommendations?

http://www.discovertherockies.com/Wh...y/Campgrounds/

There is a great selection of campsites, within two hours driving from Calgary.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Some have swimming pools, fish and chip shops, pubs, discos and even amusement rides for the kids. My Dad would even get his morning paper delivered to our caravan. Over here they don't have half the facilities you got back home.
I think this thread is about camping.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

In BC there are a number of 'walk in' campsites in the Provincial Parks....Obviously they don't let in the big monster campers......Another way to avoid the masses - if that is what you want is to go for the campsites with minimun amenities - i.e no showers and no hook ups.....! The Pr Park campsites that I have stayed in have been pretty nice with hedges separating each spot....You do have to get your booking in for those ones though as they vanish pretty quickly!
L

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.