Calling all nurses

Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold
Default Calling all nurses

Any nurses allready in Canada that can give me advice on the move to canada. Just passed the CRNE in Feb, cant go to about jan, feb o8 (Daughters last year at school) only just put my app in for PR in today but hope to go on a wp if i can get a job (Hopefully in the london, Ontario area)
I plan to go first while my daughter finishes her last few months of school
advice on the following would be appreciated

whats nursing like in canada ?
is it plausible to go on a wp early next year or will I have to wait 45 months for PR ?
whats the job situation in London, ontario and ontario in general (Seen lots of jobs but mainly part time

anyone know of any infectious disease units in Ontario ?(My speciality)

I am new to this site my wife found it, allready it has helped us greatly

thanks for your help
Darren w
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses

Hi and welcome to the board. I am a nurse both registered in Ontario and Quebec. Unfortunately for you, I cannot comment on nursing in Ontario as I have never actually worked there.

I have been working as a nurse in Quebec though since 1992 so I can give you a some insight here anyway.

There are a lot of jobs available here but nothing full time .. a lot of weekend work and infact, if you are willing you can work Thursday to Sunday with a double shift on either Sat /Sun to get your full week in (which I often do) Yes, believe it or not after 15 years of nursing , I am still a float nurse. It has it;s advantages though..I am never stuck on one floor and I get to have a lot of experience on different wards..

Forget taking vacations between May and October . You have to work every second w/e but if you want to get some hours in , you would be better working every w/e but that is up to you.You have to work either Christmas or N.Y. day and depending on your seniority you do not get to pick which one you want off. There are places that alternate years though.

What else can I tell you? I would think that a British trained nurse would be a plus for you. They have a good reputation. I f you want to work in the E.R or the ICU , CCU etc you will have to follow a special course ( given on site at the hospital, atleast here)

Nontheless I Love my job and the hours just come with the territory. Oh yes, you have to choose 2 shift out of 3 ( days, evenings nights) if you dont want to work nights then you will have to be available days or evenings. However, ofcourse there are agency nurses which is also quite good as you get to choose your own hours and by the way, they are very very well paid.

I trained here in Quebec so i cant tell you if you need to pass exams but If i had to pass an exam to qualify between Quebec and Ontario I am sure you will have an exam to succeed.

here is a web site for you . The Canadian Nurses Association of Ontario.
www.cno.org

I hope i have been of some help. Let me know if I can help further

Sarah
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walkerv05
Any nurses allready in Canada that can give me advice on the move to canada. Just passed the CRNE in Feb, cant go to about jan, feb o8 (Daughters last year at school) only just put my app in for PR in today but hope to go on a wp if i can get a job (Hopefully in the london, Ontario area)
I plan to go first while my daughter finishes her last few months of school
advice on the following would be appreciated

whats nursing like in canada ?
is it plausible to go on a wp early next year or will I have to wait 45 months for PR ?
whats the job situation in London, ontario and ontario in general (Seen lots of jobs but mainly part time

anyone know of any infectious disease units in Ontario ?(My speciality)

I am new to this site my wife found it, allready it has helped us greatly

thanks for your help
Darren w

Hi Darren,
I am a nurse too but sorry I can't answer your questions because I work
in Mental Heath in Vancouver BC. I would like to recommend the allnurses
forums. There is a Canadian nurses thread and here is the link.
http://allnurses.com/forums/f108/
Sounds like an interesting area you are going to work in.
Good luck.
Yoong
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info guys, that forum seems very interesting I could of done with it before I sat the CRNE

Cheers

Darren
Old Apr 15th 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

desdemona4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Calling all nurses

Hi Darren,
I don't know about Ontario, but I managed to get a job in Vancouver fairly quickly, after spending some time barking up the wrong trees by trying to get a positions in smaller places. The other health authorities have no ,or very little, experience of employing nurses from abroad. I applied for the post in late October, had a telephone interview in December, got permit through in March.
One thing it may be worth checking on is the length of time from your applying for registration to actually registering. In BC there is a time limit, and I nearly fell foul of that!
I would suggest that you look at employers web sites for the magic words "overseas applicants", as this will probably give you info about applying from abroad.
Hope this helps a bit.
Debbie