Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Calgary Meet Up - Feb 7th or 8th?

Calgary Meet Up - Feb 7th or 8th?

Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary Meet Up - Feb 7th or 8th?

Hello Guys

The Recce trip is getting nearer by the day! And I thought I would arrange a meet up for those interested in meeting me in Calgary!

I have had 3 express interest in gathering - Judy / Calgary2006 and Gryphea. I am obviously free either Thursday or Friday nights, and will be guided as to where to go etc, by you locals.

Anyone else wish to come - feel free to.

And if you want to meet up, but can't make the suggested days, I'm more than happy to meet up with people every night if that happens.

I arrive in Calgary on Monday 4th Feb, and my flight leaves on Saturday 9th. I'm staying @ the Sandman which I'm told is fairly central.

Also - what kind of touristy things shall I look into doing? I have one interview lined up, although I may try for more when I'm there. But need to get a feel for the city as a place to live.

Looking forward to it guys!!!

Bandit.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice
Default Re: Calgary Meet Up - Feb 7th or 8th?

Originally Posted by bandit
Hello Guys

The Recce trip is getting nearer by the day! And I thought I would arrange a meet up for those interested in meeting me in Calgary!

I have had 3 express interest in gathering - Judy / Calgary2006 and Gryphea. I am obviously free either Thursday or Friday nights, and will be guided as to where to go etc, by you locals.

Anyone else wish to come - feel free to.

And if you want to meet up, but can't make the suggested days, I'm more than happy to meet up with people every night if that happens.

I arrive in Calgary on Monday 4th Feb, and my flight leaves on Saturday 9th. I'm staying @ the Sandman which I'm told is fairly central.

Also - what kind of touristy things shall I look into doing? I have one interview lined up, although I may try for more when I'm there. But need to get a feel for the city as a place to live.

Looking forward to it guys!!!

Bandit.
Hi Bandit,

Thursday or Friday are fine with me - I will go along with the flow if you want to have an "en masse" meet up.

Try to steer clear of too much touristy stuff - make sure you balance it out with day to day living type activities. Try a trip to the supermarket, get a feel for the choice, price etc. If you have ideas on where you might like to live, try the journey in rush hour etc.

Let me know what you decide with dates.

Julie
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:08 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Hey Bandit

I'd be up for meet-up, will quite poss be home alone then. Either night works fine with me.

You have to the Calgary Tower if you get a clear day. Downtown aint much to look at, but the Mountains make up for that. Also scare yourself by walking on the glass floor
As for other touristy things to do in the City, I have no idea as not done much "tourist" stuff myself, looking to rectify that this year though

Good luck with your interview and I hope to meet you soon, Tanya
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:25 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Friday evening, February 8th would suit me better, but I could make it on Thursday evening, February 7th if necessary.

Agree with Julie that you shouldn't be doing too much touristy stuff. But, at a minimum, you should visit the indoor Devonian Gardens (admission is free). They're located on the North American 4th floor (European 3rd floor) of Toronto Dominion Square, a black glass building between 7th and 8th Avenues and between 2nd and 3rd Streets SW. It's downtown, within walking distance of the Sandman. But you also could catch the C-Train for free in the downtown core. Toronto Dominion Square is about one stop from the Sandman, on the eastbound line (the sign on the front of the train will say Somerset). There is a stop right in front of TD Square (just outside the Eddie Bauer store).

I thought I'd already covered touristy suggestions in a previous post. Also, I wrote a Wiki called Calgary Fun.

Kind of busy. Have interesting work to do. What a concept. No need to use BE to alleviate boredom.

But I'll make a point of checking this thread once in a while to see what sort of arrangement is shaping up.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:44 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hire some stuff and book a ski lesson at COP ...... take home a broken limb as a souvenir!

(my son did this ... broke his wrist and found it a thoroughly memorable experience! )
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Hi bandit,

how goes you??????

Just to say all the best for the reccie trip to Calgary, we know you are going to love it.

Meet up is a good idea, pity we wont be there. Thinking of arranging one for when we are over there.

The lady that offered Tracey the job, has just put her application in for her LMO, so keep your fingers crossed

Good luck with all your plans while your there, please keep us posted.

Have a bloody great time, hope you find what we did.

Regards,
carl, Tracey, Emily and James
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly ! I'll keep watching the thread. If there is a glass of wine involved, you won't find me far away
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m
Possibly ! I'll keep watching the thread. If there is a glass of wine involved, you won't find me far away
I was hoping the glass of wine would be compulsory!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if it wasn't before, I now pronounce it a fact. Wine is compulsory, there! Ok - so where, and what time ?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Calgary Meet Up - Feb 7th or 8th?

Originally Posted by ann m
Well, if it wasn't before, I now pronounce it a fact. Wine is compulsory, there! Ok - so where, and what time ?
Over to you Bandit - let us know when and then we can work out the where....
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Guys!!!

I feel so popular !!!

Shall we say Friday - it will be my last night in Canada, and therefore even more reason to have a good night... And frankly Ann M - if there isn't a glass of wine involved then frankly I would think you Calgary guys all very weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suggest suggesting the locals arrange a restuarant or what ever to meet in, and a time that suits anyone working etc. Being an outsider, I won't know the best places to meet.

Is anyone happy to arrange that? Or I can arrange it when I get there if you tell me where to book?

Also - if anyone wants to meet me more than once, I'd happily have dinner mates for the week too - just let me know.

I guess giving me your Cell Numbers would be helpful - via PM and I can also give you mine.

The list I mentioned now just adds Ann M - not sure if you are coming with or without anyone? The person who arranges the restuarant will need to know numbers I guess.

Guys - I'm really excited and thankful for the kind and hospitable offers to meet me - a stranger to you all - and I'm so looking forward to my trip.

Please PM me contact details, and please anyone else wanting to meet, reply to this thread.

Do we have a volunteer to book a table somewhere????

Much thanks to you all.

Bandit!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gibbos1
Hi bandit,

how goes you??????

Just to say all the best for the reccie trip to Calgary, we know you are going to love it.

Meet up is a good idea, pity we wont be there. Thinking of arranging one for when we are over there.

The lady that offered Tracey the job, has just put her application in for her LMO, so keep your fingers crossed

Good luck with all your plans while your there, please keep us posted.

Have a bloody great time, hope you find what we did.

Regards,
carl, Tracey, Emily and James
Hello Carl & Tracey and kids!!!

How goes it - well, amazingly well as it happens! I am THE most excited person in Surrey at the moment. I can't wait for my trip and all that I will learn and see. I am spending just under a week in Vancouver and Calgary and the w/end with my brother in Houston, TX. It can't be better than that!

Work still have no idea, so it's all hush hush... I hope that my meetings with agencies in each city will be really helpful too.

That is great news for Tracey's LMO - I have everything crossed for that!!!

Hope you kids are OK and excited about thier future too.

Thinking about you guys when I hit Calgary! Did I say I was excited!!!!

Take care Carl, and best wishes to you all!

B
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:14 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I called James Joyce Irish Pub at 114 - 8th Avenue SW (bandit, for your benefit, it's downtown, on the pedestrianized part of 8th Avenue, which also is known as Stephen Avenue Walk).

Ann(e), the woman who answered the phone, said it was really hopping and loud around 5 - 6 pm on a Friday evening. She said it was not suitable for a large group of people who wanted to get to know each other and who therefore wanted to talk to each other.

On the other hand, she said if the group was confined to 6 - 7 people, she could put us in a private alcove that was quieter than the rest of the pub. She said we could start out with drinks and appetizers and, if we liked, we could progress to dinner.

If the group wants to meet just outside of downtown, but still close to downtown, another option to consider is Kensington Pub at 207 - 10a Street NW. Bandit, it's one train stop from where you're staying, and indeed in reasonable weather would be in walking distance. (One of us who arrived in a car could drop you back at the Sandman afterwards.)

Ann(e) at James Joyce Irish Pub said I should contact her closer to the time if we did in fact want to go there and if we wanted the alcove.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Judy

I am happy to follow the lead of the 'locals'.

It would be fun if not ironic to travel to Canada and (being of Irish parents)frequent an Irish place.

I am very happy to be accomadating to anyone willing to make the meet up, so if it's in a good location, lets book it!!!

I hope you all (not just Judy) feels I'm renegading on responsibility, however it is probably best for locals to suggest venues...!

Did I mention I'm excited to meet you all!

Bye for now!

B
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Update - Calgary Meet Up - Feb 7th or 8th?

Hey Folks

Apart from the odd PM troll that is deleting numbers, I wanted to just bring this topic to the fore, as I may not be on line as much until I hit Vancouver - This Saturday 28th Jan.

So - the date for our meet up is set for Friday 8th Feb.

Numbers are

Me
Judy
Calgary2006
Gryphea
Tanya ??
Ann M

I am more than happy to have parters or friends included as the more I can learn about Calgary the more useful the trip will be. And if any more guys from here wish to join me then please do. If you would like to meet up on another night - please PM me as I'd be happy to meet as many people as possible!!!

And Judy - thank you very much for preliminary investigations into venues. I am happy with either of your suggestions, and more than happy to walk (if safe) or hitch a ride with one of you. I guess it will be determined in part to numbers.

I am bringing my laptop - so will be on line once I'm in Canada. I may not be on it as much however so I have given Calgary2006 my cell number and will email you guys my number tonight too. I ought to also let you know my real name too .

I'm really looking forward to meeting you all.

Thanks again too!

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.