Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Buying Tires from Costco

Buying Tires from Costco

Old Mar 27th 2015, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Tires from Costco

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Our normal tires are all season, but I worked the winter in Whistler so got winter tires since they are required on the highway from October to April roughly, but it snowed so little there was no point in having them.
Nokian make all-season tires that are also winter rated. Don't know how good they are in rain, but that was certainly the weak spot in the magazine tests of our winter tires. Fortunately rain is rare in the winter here.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some steaks at Costco that tasted like tyres. Boom boom!
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Nokian make all-season tires that are also winter rated. Don't know how good they are in rain, but that was certainly the weak spot in the magazine tests of our winter tires. Fortunately rain is rare in the winter here.
Winter tires seem to have to give up good rain performance to gain good ice ad snow performance.

Next year unless we are going to Whistler on a regular basis, probably won't bother. Even in a bad winter we only get a handful of snow day's, I really don't think winter tires are a necessity along the coast here....
Old Mar 31st 2015, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

We went to a local garage, who picked up the tyres from costco and fitted them...
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

Just bought a set of all seasons from Costco. Ordered online, then made an appointment for fitting. I didn't have a lift, so had to wait at the store whilst they fitted the tyres. 2 hrs!!! Everything else about the service was excellent though. Saved me approx $200 compared to other places I priced out.

I would have considered CT, but they didn't have a good range to choose from IMO.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Shop around. I work for a car dealership, and although I can't speak for all dealerships obviously, I know that we are priced very competitively for tires and if we're not the cheapest we'll match any local price, including Costco, which is across the street.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

I may have found the same, but didn't have time to look around too much. I did give my Toyota dealer a chance though, considering I needed a service anyway and they had a "price match guarantee" offer on. They would not match Costco prices as it's a membership retailer, and they came in at nearly 200 more. They could have made profit but obviously weren't interested so Costco got my money.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking about getting new tyres, consider 'all weathers' as opposed to all seasons. Not quite as good as fully rated winter tyres, although still rated as a winter tyre, but they are good all year, so you don't need two sets.
Check out https://www.kaltire.com/all-weather-...-winter-tires/.

I invested in a set this year and have been pleased with performance and behaviour so far. Generally recommended for typical winters around TO and Vancouver - the comment was made to me that 'if you're the snow plow driver, you still need full winters', but they will be appropriate for most of us.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:03 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing you have to keep in mind with Costco is that they will not install tires that are not the same size and speed rating as the automobile manufacturer dictates.

I tried to buy a set of tires for my car a few years ago and although they were the same size as Toyota called for the speed rating was different. Toyota said they should be "H" rated and I wanted "T" rated. Costco flat out refused to sell them to me if they were to do the install.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

I can see why they would do that (liability) but it does limit choice if you want something different.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:06 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for all-season tires, especially if you're in Vancouver area. Winter tires don't work in warm rain...

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
If you're thinking about getting new tyres, consider 'all weathers' as opposed to all seasons. Not quite as good as fully rated winter tyres, although still rated as a winter tyre, but they are good all year, so you don't need two sets.
Check out https://www.kaltire.com/all-weather-...-winter-tires/.

I invested in a set this year and have been pleased with performance and behaviour so far. Generally recommended for typical winters around TO and Vancouver - the comment was made to me that 'if you're the snow plow driver, you still need full winters', but they will be appropriate for most of us.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Another vote for all-season tires, especially if you're in Vancouver area. Winter tires don't work in warm rain...
All-season tires and All-Weather tires are different things!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask...where are people in the country, and how much are they paying for changovers (either a full changeover, or just a bolt-on of second set of wheels)?
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Can I ask...where are people in the country, and how much are they paying for changovers (either a full changeover, or just a bolt-on of second set of wheels)?
We have sets of tyres on rims and our dealership adds $40 or so to the price if we are not able to time with the rotations during a service.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:35 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrHyperPants
Been a long time since I owned a car. After coming to Canada a year ago my OH parents gifted us a car they no longer needed. Anyhow, need to get some new tires for it.

Anyone bought tires from costco?

Yes, several pairs

Would you recommend them?

Definitely

Do they provide a service others don't.

Balancing for life, fitting and nitrogen for $15 per corner

Do they taking bookings or do you just rock up there on the day and join the crowds, wait and hope to leave with some tires.

Kamloops Costco made an appointment for me

When researching tires online I find some of the other tire places don't have prices. You have to put in your personal details and request a quote.

I just want to get a quick simple price comparison of a rough idea on what its gonna cost. If it includes balancing and what ever bollocks they need to do. Hidden fees like environmental tax, tipping the mechanic.

Try 1010 tires for a comparison, that's a CDN site in Vancouver.

Cheers.
See my answers in bold above.