Brexit benefit

Old Sep 17th 2021, 12:28 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brexit benefit

Hurrah! Now I can go to the pub and order a pint.

No more ordering 0.568 of a litre for me. Take that, EU!!

Last edited by Jingsamichty; Sep 17th 2021 at 12:30 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 12:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit benefit

And I shall pay for it in shillings and thruppeny bits.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 12:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

As some wag on twitter put it "Wait, til they figure out what a gallon of petrol now costs".
Of all the pathetic waste of time and resources, this has to be one of the best.
Long live 125g of sweets!
Old Sep 20th 2021, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I quite enjoy Maximilien Robespierre's Brexit videos

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see any benefit in Brexit. It was a political lie from A to Z.

Other than in irony, I can't use the word benefit regarding Brexit.

And the US won't offer the UK the so often advertised "awesome trade deal" as long as the UK doesn't respect the Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 12:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I don't see any benefit in Brexit. It was a political lie from A to Z.

Other than in irony, I can't use the word benefit regarding Brexit.

And the US won't offer the UK the so often advertised "awesome trade deal" as long as the UK doesn't respect the Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland.
I rather suspect Jings is being tongue in cheek with his thread title. :-)

On the US / UK trade deal front, A US congressman summed it up rather well:

Still, Bozza has apparently got a deal on accepting imports of British lamb. That'll make up for Brexit then. Sorted.

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just my imagination or are the vast majority who oppose Brexit are actually Brits not living in the UK? The TIO threads are full of non UK mainly EU country based posters complaining about Brexit but what do they have to complain about? They still have FOM, according to them there are no empty shelves in supermarkets where they live and lots of HGV drivers delivering stuff. The North American based posters seem less concerned about Brexit.
Am I missing something?
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Is it just my imagination or are the vast majority who oppose Brexit are actually Brits not living in the UK? The TIO threads are full of non UK mainly EU country based posters complaining about Brexit but what do they have to complain about? They still have FOM, according to them there are no empty shelves in supermarkets where they live and lots of HGV drivers delivering stuff. The North American based posters seem less concerned about Brexit.
Am I missing something?
You are, we no longer have FOM. We are third country nationals, wherever we live in the EU.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something?
I'm on twitter, and the number of anti Brexit threads is huge, also the number of anti Tory threads as they are so closely related. I've not seen any threads where people have found any benefit, in fact the number of anti brexit threads is incresing every day, with the lack of HGV drivers, the crops rotting in the fields because the people who used to pick them are not allowed into the country without a visa, and they aren't that easy to get. The country is facing huge rises in the cost of gas and electricity as they are no longer in the EU regulatory scheme. Much of the UK CO2 was imported from the EU, so there is now a shortage of canned beer and sparkling water, Firms are fighting each other to pay HGV drivers more and more to keep them, so transport prices are going up, which means prices in shops will increase as well. So, there are NO benefits from Brexit, only downsides.

ps I'm a declared remainer
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
You are, we no longer have FOM. We are third country nationals, wherever we live in the EU.
So if you have a residency permit can you still travel with FOM? What is wrong with obtaining citizenship of the country you live in (Hungary) then you would have dual citizenship?
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

So if you have a residency permit can you still travel with FOM? What is wrong with obtaining citizenship of the country you live in (Hungary) then you would have dual citizenship?
If resident in the EU prior to the end of 2020, one has the right to continue that residence.
We may travel through the EU as visitors, as the Brits can. We cannot upsticks & move, unrestricted, to another EU country, so FOM has gone. Brits wishing to leave the UK for life in the EU have to meet new, stricter conditions, for example, a couple on State pensions can no longer retire to Spain. Citizenship in Hungary requires 8 years continuous residence, so we have another 15 months before we can apply, others considerably more, obviously citizenship requirements vary across the EU.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:44 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Some countries do not allow dual citizenship, so one would then have to choose as to whether they wish to relinquish the UK passport.

Weren't like that before (as regards FOM)...
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

The North American based posters seem less concerned about Brexit.
​​​​​​​Because nothing changes for them!
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Some countries do not allow dual citizenship, so one would then have to choose as to whether they wish to relinquish the UK passport.

Weren't like that before (as regards FOM)...
Well a quick check of the Google indicates that the following 5 x EU countries restrict dual citizenship namely Austria, Netherlands, Slovakia, Lithuania and Latvia.

Austria makes you denounce but has exceptions. The Netherlands people who want to acquire Dutch nationality through naturalisation are, as a rule, required to give up their other nationality if possible. This is called the renunciation requirement.
Dual citizenship is only permitted to Slovak citizens who acquire a second citizenship by birth or through marriage.
Lithuania does not allow dual citizenship in general, but in
certain casesbelow it is accepted

https://best-citizenships.com/2020/0...l-citizenship/

So yes you are correct but I haven't seen a huge number of UK nationals on BE posting from these countries.

​​​​​​​While I understand FOM was a benefit to some many of us have never had it so some of us don't see it as a big deal. Things change over time and we accept it. Canadians never had to show passports to enter the US but unless you have a trusted traveller ID card i.e NEXUS, enhanced driving licence etc then you now need a passport. We adapted and now no longer an issue.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 3:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Because nothing changes for them!
That's not quite true. We may have relatives in the UK and be sorry to see what's been done to them. We may have retained UK passports for ourselves, or for our children, with the thought of moving to an EU country. We now have to suffer an increased incidence of images of former MEP Nigel Farage and no one should have to deal with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.