Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Boot, bazaar, jumble, tag, garage, yard or whatever you call it sale.

Boot, bazaar, jumble, tag, garage, yard or whatever you call it sale.

Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boot, bazaar, jumble, tag, garage, yard or whatever you call it sale.

Has anyone done/participated in one, in Canada? If so, what strategies did you employ to maximize your return and stop yourself from being bored s***less? This has come about as HID has suggested that before I buy anymore frivolous crap, I should sell some of the other frivolous crap I have accumulated, don't use anymore and are paying to store. So, I thought of having one of these types of sales event but it does seem like a lot of work for not much return. I could go to the tip and dump it all and just say I sold it, but if it's worth it I'd thought have a go. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boot, bazaar, jumble, tag, garage, yard or whatever you call it sale.

Originally Posted by Oink
Has anyone done/participated in one, in Canada? If so, what strategies did you employ to maximize your return and stop yourself from being bored s***less? This has come about as HID has suggested that before I buy anymore frivolous crap, I should sell some of the other frivolous crap I have accumulated, don't use anymore and are paying to store. So, I thought of having one of these types of sales event but it does seem like a lot of work for not much return. I could go to the tip and dump it all and just say I sold it, but if it's worth it I'd thought have a go. Any suggestions?
I'd just put it on Craigslist. Make them come and pick it up from you and pay cash. That's what I did when we moved. worked well.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boot, bazaar, jumble, tag, garage, yard or whatever you call it sale.

You see people selling all sorts of crap on their lawns or outside condo buildings. Either most stuff has been sold by the time I've walked past or the people having these sales are hopelessly optimistic.

I've ebay'd stuff in the past - but I'm too lazy even for that really as it means I have to make the effort to post stuff. Maybe Kiwilass has the right idea above; make people come to you.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:33 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Why not purge your materialistic desires? You can start by piling all your frivolous crap in the garden and torching it. Continue from there on a search for enlightenment. Speak with nature to the seek the answers.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:35 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

GF says "give it to charity".

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I'd just put it on Craigslist. Make them come and pick it up from you and pay cash. That's what I did when we moved. worked well.
Craigslist is a good idea.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Kijiji is good, I use it all the time, anything you cant sell put on Freecycle in your area, its good, I got some nice ducks on Freecycle!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:15 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Nice sign tied on the nearest junction lamp post = v chavvy but works- also you can put an ad in the local free paper and craiglist!
ad in paper should highlight the GOOD stuff!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:21 am

I live in a flat so its hard to arrange a large outdoor sale. Although I have just found out that the local community centre has an indoor boot sale thingy in their gym. You pay for a table and set you stuff up on that. Its nice because it inside so you don't have to worry about the weather. I'm going down tomorrow to book my table space. I just need to find a rack, so I can get rid of all my oversized polo shirts left over from my madchester phase.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:53 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a flat so its hard to arrange a large outdoor sale. Although I have just found out that the local community centre has an indoor boot sale thingy in their gym. You pay for a table and set you stuff up on that. Its nice because it inside so you don't have to worry about the weather. I'm going down tomorrow to book my table space. I just need to find a rack, so I can get rid of all my oversized polo shirts left over from my madchester phase.
ooh tell us when - maybe we willcome and see what crap you have
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

I did a Garage sale once - probably never again. Bloody vultures were outside waiting for the door to open. Really hectic! You get dealers/opportunists in there early trying to get a good deal on stuff they can sell on. Settled down a bit after that though.

You can make quite a bit of cash if you have a lot of stuff to get rid of. It's amazing what people will buy.

I like the give away for free idea, too. Get them to come pick up (you'll still get low ballers though - especially from Kijiji or Craigs list - don't be surprised if they want you to deliver it for free and bring them a burger as well...)

Other best option if you don't want money is the charity idea. There was a huge Condo fire here last week and hundreds homeless and nothing but the clothes on their back. A truck was parked at a nearby supermarket and took donations of stuff for the victims.

Otherwise take it by box/bag at a time to local charity store every time you go out; or phone around and ask if they have a local depot where you can take it in bulk. Did this once with the Sally Army, found their depot and loaded our van up to the hilt and dropped it all there. If you're in city limits, a lot of them will even come collect if you have a good load of stuff.