Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:32 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
LOVED the fridge!!
Have you read the other two? Playing the Modovans at Tennis (also brill) and something like one-hit wonderland. They are all hilarious!
Read the tennis one, thought it was pretty good ... haven't done One Hit Wonderland yet.

The fridge book inspired me to quit my job and dip out of work for 3 years ... it was originally going to be 1 but you know how things go ... without it I definitely wouldn't be here ...

(edit) Against all expectations I've just read Allen Carrs 'Stop Smoking The Easy Way' (prompted by a thread on these here boards) and have actually stopped so I guess that deserves a mention.

Last edited by Vim Fuego; Mar 20th 2008 at 11:48 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

The Dave Pelzer series made me stop and think. Felt extremely humble by the end of them that's for sure.

Lynne
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zalaben
That book was a load of bollacks!

I knew it was right from the start. A drug addict would not be able to remember so much crap in such minute detail.

He got what he wanted.. going on Oprah and making a shitload of money.
Knew someone would say that - doesnt take it away that it is a good read

Originally Posted by Beastie
The Dave Pelzer series made me stop and think. Felt extremely humble by the end of them that's for sure.

Lynne

Lynne

Have read these over and over again and always enjoy everyone of them .

Another set of books I love are by a lady called Torey Hayden - very good mix of fiction and real life characters.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Johnathon Livingston Seagull - reads differently everytime you read it!

The Persian Pickle Club - one for the girlies!

Love in the Time of Cholera (for all of those that have seen Serendipity!)

Liffy B
Old Mar 21st 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Adventure Capitalist -Jim Rogers
The Game of Life -Florence Scovel Shinn
The Good Life -Scott and Helen Nearing
Power Of Now-Eckhart Tolle
Books by Louise Hay
And many more but the above are my favourites.
Yoong
Old Mar 21st 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Gaynor, we obviously have similar tastes when it comes to books - have read every one of Torey's books - what an amazing woman.

Lynne
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=burton bunch;6091284]Knew someone would say that - doesnt take it away that it is a good read

agreed
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:32 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

MrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Personality Plus.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

The L-Shaped Room.
I read The L-Shaped Room and it was a fantastic book - I worked with the author's cousin at one time. I read Two is Lonely as well, the follow up. Not such an impact.

And I started The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - on a borrow and the person needed it back, but I really want to finish that and that's my aim for the end of the year. A really fantastic book.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody remember "The Dice Man" by Luke Reinhard IIRC?

That was a trip at the time.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

witch crafting and wiccan warrior.

Oh, and not to forget..any one of the dragonriders of pern series. Its my escapist fantasty.

And the vampire the masquarade players handbook as it got me in with my rpg crowd.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caitilin
witch crafting and wiccan warrior.

Oh, and not to forget..any one of the dragonriders of pern series. Its my escapist fantasty.

And the vampire the masquarade players handbook as it got me in with my rpg crowd.
<unsubscribes>
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:51 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

MrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
<unsubscribes>
Oh go on, fight the scientist in you!!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:55 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by MrsLauder99
Oh go on, fight the scientist in you!!
No, it's not that. It's just that my fantasies are much more interesting.

Hang on, I'll look for a link.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:52 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody remember "The Dice Man" by Luke Reinhard IIRC?

That was a trip at the time.
I still have a beaten up copy on my shelf, next to Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. Either I am much older than I thought, or you are younger than you let on...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

<unsubscribes>
thank you for validating my choice in reading material. I'm so glad you respect my choice together iwth everyone elses.

*rolls my eyes*

for crying out loud, get a grip. Its my choice what i read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.