Blackberries (fruit)

Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blackberries (fruit)

I never used to buy blackberries in the UK what with them being freely available in so many places.

But I buy them often here (from Mexico) having discovered how gorgeous they were the first time. They knock spots off the ones I used to pick. It's as if someone also removes those little sticky outy bits too.

So were they as nice as this if they came from Tesco?
Old Oct 8th 2011, 11:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blackberries (fruit)

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I never used to buy blackberries in the UK what with them being freely available in so many places.

But I buy them often here (from Mexico) having discovered how gorgeous they were the first time. They knock spots off the ones I used to pick. It's as if someone also removes those little sticky outy bits too.

So were they as nice as this if they came from Tesco?
I used to think it was odd buying blackberries as there plenty of wild ones where I grew up, but now I don't see anything wrong with it - it's a crop like any other. This year though I've had loads from the garden which have been nicer than those I've got from the shop here - probably because they are straight off the bush (and you soak them in a bowl of water for an hour or two to get rid of the sticky out bits)
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:02 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I used to think it was odd buying blackberries as there plenty of wild ones where I grew up, but now I don't see anything wrong with it - it's a crop like any other. This year though I've had loads from the garden which have been nicer than those I've got from the shop here - probably because they are straight off the bush (and you soak them in a bowl of water for an hour or two to get rid of the sticky out bits)
I never knew that, does it work for raspberries too or do they just go mushy?
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:33 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I never knew that, does it work for raspberries too or do they just go mushy?
No idea as I've never had a raspberry bush. I don't want to oversell it, but loads of the bits float off and you can rinse them away - especially if you give them a stir every now and then.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:36 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

No idea as I've never had a raspberry bush. I don't want to oversell it, but loads of the bits float off and you can rinse them away - especially if you give them a stir every now and then.
I guess I'll have to wait until next year to try now as the remaining raspberries froze on the bush this week
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:00 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...loads of the bits float off and you can rinse them away - especially if you give them a stir every now and then.
Now that you say that I can remember them floating on the surface of water when my mum was making her blackberry and apple pie.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:30 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you pick them in the wild, don't pick anything below 3'.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:27 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Now that you say that I can remember them floating on the surface of water when my mum was making her blackberry and apple pie.

I remember that too (not your mums, for clarification).