Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bill Cosby but not funny stuff this time

Bill Cosby but not funny stuff this time

Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:47 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bill Cosby but not funny stuff this time

come back when the menapause goes.I was a nasty peice of work anall
Old Feb 9th 2007, 1:02 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is in the wrong place. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Canada, and is simply posted to provoke "discussion".

It should better have been posted in "take it outside".
Old Feb 9th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
This thread is in the wrong place. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Canada, and is simply posted to provoke "discussion".

It should better have been posted in "take it outside".
Myself, I have no problems if they want to move it. I am indifferent.

However what I do find really bizarre is that this has even become an issue. Frankly, who the hell cares where it gets posted? I live in this country so I picked this sub-forum. I need not be an Albert Einstein to figure that one out. If indeed the topic is of little interest, and so far there has been little interest, then the thread will die a natural death, in spite of or because of Morweena.

As to provoking discussion am I not correct in assuming all threads are designed to do exactly that?

As to it having nothing to do with Canada my dear are you that out of touch? If you gave it a moments thought you would see the issue is no really no different north of the 49th parallel or is Canada somehow magically immune?

Ironically I see that in the 'Take it Outside' forum there is a thread on the matter of 'reasonable accommodation' as initiated by the good folks in Herouxville Quebec. Funnily enough I do not see anyone there making a case that, horror of horrors, it doesn't belong here since it is an internal Canadian issue. Ergo it should be moved out.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...15#post4365815

I am new to this forum so maybe I am at fault. Maybe I haven't learned the ropes and the prevailing culture yet? But it seems to me you are really making a bloody mountain out of a molehill. I had presumed we are all adults at this site!

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 9th 2007 at 1:54 am.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 1:57 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by montreal mike
As to it having nothing to do with Canada my dear are you that out of touch? If you gave it a moments thought you would see the issue is no really no different north of the 49th parallel or is Canada somehow magically immune?
It has something to do with Canada, but perhaps not nearly as much as you may think. And it has nothing to do with magic, but history. The Blacks of the US were victims of state-sponsored discrimination - and that is very well documented. Such is simply not the case with Canada. I'm not claiming that Blacks didn't/don't face issues here involving discrimination and racism.... but the level of discrimination was minimal when compared to what existed in the US..... BTW, I'm old enough to remember what life was like for Blacks in Canada and the US back in the mid 1960's.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 9th 2007 at 2:21 am.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:16 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I am not "your dear", I hardly know you.

I wasn't making an issue, just a comment, but since you seem to feel personally attacked, I'll explain further.

" Take it Outside! (6 Viewing)
Please keep all political, religious and other controversial topics in here. The discussions may become heated, so parental guidance is advised."

QED.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:25 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

The "Maple Leaf" was also created to host this type of discussion.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:48 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The "Maple Leaf" was also created to host this type of discussion.
I disagree. The Maple Leaf is for "off-topic chat".

Take it Outside is for .... and I'll quote again ... "Please keep all political, religious and other controversial topics in here.

A post like the opener, which is purely and surely intended to inflame (ie "discussion") surely comes into that category, but never mind eh. I just won't read any more and you can all "discuss" your little socks off.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:31 am
mañana is my busiest day

I disagree. The Maple Leaf is for "off-topic chat".

Take it Outside is for .... and I'll quote again ... "Please keep all political, religious and other controversial topics in here.

A post like the opener, which is purely and surely intended to inflame (ie "discussion") surely comes into that category, but never mind eh. I just won't read any more and you can all "discuss" your little socks off.
You have a good point with that. On the other hand, one could argue that the majority of the threads in the entire forum belong in the "Take it Outside" part of the forum since so may threads are "controversial". I guess it depends on how controversial a particular topic is.... opinions will vary.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 9th 2007 at 3:34 am.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

It has something to do with Canada, but perhaps not nearly as much as you may think. And it has nothing to do with magic, but history. The Blacks of the US were victims of state-sponsored discrimination - and that is very well documented. Such is simply not the case with Canada. I'm not claiming that Blacks didn't/don't face issues here involving discrimination and racism.... but the level of discrimination was minimal when compared to what existed in the US..... BTW, I'm old enough to remember what life was like for Blacks in Canada and the US back in the mid 1960's.

My reference to magic was purely for Morwenna's 'benefit'. A touch of sarcasm at times gets the point across though, in this instance, not as effectively as those two little words ‘my dear' which seem to have done the trick!

Ocean .. I do not for a moment dispute what you write and your point is well taken. I can remember the riots of the mid-sixties when some US cities erupted. We never had those issues here.

But what Cosby is saying, or at least this is my interpretation, is that it is time now for this younger black generation ‘to move on’. Not, as some would do, to fault others for their plight. Stop feeling sorry for themselves and all that good stuff.

I recall Cosby once being being interviewed and he took a lot of heat. (With slight exaggeration) it was an unpardonable transgression on his part for him to have commented so frankly on the mindset of some of his fellow blacks.

But then I ask myself what was his true motive? The man is a very successful well-to-do comedian so what would have to gain in being so critical and outspoken? My belief is that he wanted to wake/shake them up a little and if he succeeded then he was on the right track.

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 9th 2007 at 4:20 am.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

A post like the opener, which is purely and surely intended to inflame (ie "discussion")
Nonsense. who the hell are you to judge?

Morwenna why not apply for the position of moderator here? If by chance you are considered up to the task and if accepted then (bravo!) you will be able to redirect threads.

And posters, such as I, whether we agree or not, will simply have to put up with your decisions.

Meanwhile, why not contact the present moderators, in private of course, voice your displeasure and make your request for thread reassignment or deletion, ... whatever?

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 9th 2007 at 4:47 am.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:17 am
mañana is my busiest day

"But what Cosby is saying, or at least this is my interpretation, is that it is time now for this younger black generation ‘to move on’. Not, as some would do, to fault others for their plight. Stop feeling sorry for themselves and all that good stuff."

^^^ Yes indeed.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

On the other hand, one could argue that the majority of the threads in the entire forum belong in the "Take it Outside" part of the forum since so may threads are "controversial". I guess it depends on how controversial a particular topic is.... opinions will vary.
I understand that. This is just plain common sense. So obvious I would think. So why can't Morwenna understand that?

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 9th 2007 at 4:32 am.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:43 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Well, I saw it in a video.
What have I told you about believing ANYTHING you see in those Dutch and Swedish Videos.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Nonsense. who the hell are you to judge?

Morwenna why not apply for the position of moderator here? If by chance you are considered up to the task and if accepted then (bravo!) you will be able to redirect threads.

And posters, such as I, whether we agree or not, will simply have to put up with your decisions.

Meanwhile, why not contact the present moderators, in private of course, voice your displeasure and make your request for thread reassignment or deletion, ... whatever?
Mike, why have you decided to launch a personal attach against Morwenna? Shes technically correct. She stated an opinion which you can agree with or not. I think your response is out of order and patronising.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 1:21 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

this is getting way out of hand here why not just end this thread now.kiss and make up (please)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.