Big Brother

Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

rizwan_fareed will become famous soon enough
Default Big Brother

Has anyone been following it? Views?
If you have been following it you will know what I mean.

Shilpa made the comment last night "Is this what Britian has come to?" "Such a Shame"

It's big news in the UK and some people will go and say "Oh it's not racism, it's hatred/clash of personalities etc

But when you hear comments like all indians are thin ebcause they undercook their food or go back where you came from directed at Shilpa, I'm sorry but if thats not racism I dont know what is....

Channel 4 has to be applauded for bringing this into the open, just confirms what we already know....There are a lot of good people out there but Britain is also full of people like the ones in Big Brother who are just full of hatred/racism etc. Just everyday people like me and you...
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:42 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Brother

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed

Shilpa made the comment last night "Is this what Britian has come to?" "Such a Shame"

It's big news in the UK and some people will go and say "Oh it's not racism, it's hatred/clash of personalities etc

But when you hear comments like all indians are thin ebcause they undercook their food or go back where you came from directed at Shilpa, I'm sorry but if thats not racism I dont know what is....

Channel 4 has to be applauded for bringing this into the open, just confirms what we already know....There are a lot of good people out there but Britain is also full of people like the ones in Big Brother who are just full of hatred/racism etc. Just everyday people like me and you...
That is a gross generalisation for which you have no back up for. Sorry.

I don't watch that cr@p on Tv but have heard about what's gone on and condemn any racism.

But YOU can't say the country is full of racists, I'm sorry.

Don't generalise.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Crashedfiesta2 will become famous soon enoughCrashedfiesta2 will become famous soon enough

Big Bother more like. Despite the fact I don't watch the thing I can't get away from it in the news. Whilst racism is abhorrent in any society I can't help but feel the media is slightly overhyping this to the point that people will get sick of it (I know I am) and stop caring.

And yes you're exactly right. There are a lot of racist people in this country (and the world in general) with attitudes that seem to be passed from one generation to the next. But there are still lots of good people. If you look closely.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

daveh123 is an unknown quantity at this point

"Is this what Britain has come to?" "Such a Shame"
No this is'nt what Britain has come to! Its just that in Jade Goody, Channel 4 has put the most Moronic person they could find into that house.
You don't honestly think that she is a fair representation of British people?????????
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

rizwan_fareed will become famous soon enough

Ofcourse I dont think it's a fair representation of Great Britain but it's not only Jade you have to remember.

There are 4 English Girls there. 3 are making racist remarks and 1 is not. If 3 were being good and one of them was being bad then yes it would have refelected differently but with 3 acting racist and one being good...well i think you understand what I am saying
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

More of a class issue if you ask me.

From what I've seen (I cannot STAND "reality TV" and have only seen snippets on the news) those three mentioned are chav gutter trash and not worthy to shine Shilpa's shoes.

Maybe representative of a certain limited demographic but NOT the Nation as a whole!

For it's many sins you can call Britain many things, but it's one of the most succesfully integrated multi-cultural societies in the world. Storm in a tea-cup, nothing to see here, move along.

PS. Sorry if that makes me "classist"

Last edited by Iain Mc; Jan 18th 2007 at 8:22 am.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:24 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

here we go again,big brother.Im sick of hearing about it.I dont watch it,yet its shoved in peoples faces.programs like big brother should never be put on air.racism is every where.I am not a racist person my self,but Please NO MORE.live and let live I say.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Maybe representative of a certain limited demographic but NOT the Nation as a whole!
Unfortunately their behaviour is typical of a lot of people in the area I live (near Bradford). Even educated people come out with racist comments - having previously lived in London I was quite shocked when I moved here at how intolerant people are. Definitely not a good example of integrated society.

Why d'you thinking I'm moving ?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that like any society there is a great deal of racism in the UK. I think that the UK has probably become a lot less racist overtly over the last few years (people of colour can now walk down most streets without fear of attack).

to say that the Uk is a integrated multi-cultural society is a slight exageration as outside of London and at many universities, I believe that groups pretty much live in their own areas and by and large socialize in their own groups also.

Go outside any major city in the UK and you will hear bigoted views expressed that will make your skin crawl. And in many cities many of these views are expressed in whispers. A lot of these views come from ignorance.

It even happens in Canada. When I was there last I heard someone say that the asians who live in Brampton (GTA) are good asians not like the ones in the UK. They then made a few racist comments and they even told me a different name that had been given the city (slightly derogatory).

All people in all countries have racist views to some degree it's just human nature but when you let those views make you treat others badly or unfairly it is not right. I'm not a follower of big brother but must admit watching it for a few minutes last night that was all I could stomache.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Having, unfortunately, seen some of the latest series of Celebrity BB, I'd say that there's a hint of racism creeping into the programme, but most of it is down to simple bullying. Dare I say it - isn't that what the programme format is built to do? It certainly seems to bring out the worst in most people.
The three girls involved in the cat fights are not that bright, and little genuine claim to fame. The 'victim' (and she's handling herself brilliantly, and with dignity), is famous because she is a talented actress of 14 years standing, educated, eloquent, charming etc. I think that is the main issue, not her race.
Reminds me of the playground - stand out and you are in danger of being picked on.
Says an awful lot about a section of British society, but thankfully not all of it. My daughter went to an international school in the UK, with a real cocktail of race, religion and culture. Luckily those children wouldn't dream of being racist - or for that matter, bullying. Zero tolerance of either in the school, supported by the parents.
I should imagine Shilpa will return to her successful career, even more adored by her fans, whereas the three protagonists of the bullying will slip into insignificance at best. Who would want Jade Goody on their magazine's front cover now? I didn't understand who'd buy her fragrance in the first place (but apparently thousands did at Christmas) - can't see it flying off the shelves after all this furore.
Let's hope it all quietens down, and the international community doesn't judge British society by the actions of three rather dim individuals of dubious abilities.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by britsnake
I believe that like any society there is a great deal of racism in the UK. I think that the UK has probably become a lot less racist overtly over the last few years (people of colour can now walk down most streets without fear of attack).

to say that the Uk is a integrated multi-cultural society is a slight exageration as outside of London and at many universities, I believe that groups pretty much live in their own areas and by and large socialize in their own groups also.

Go outside any major city in the UK and you will hear bigoted views expressed that will make your skin crawl. And in many cities many of these views are expressed in whispers. A lot of these views come from ignorance.

It even happens in Canada. When I was there last I heard someone say that the asians who live in Brampton (GTA) are good asians not like the ones in the UK. They then made a few racist comments and they even told me a different name that had been given the city (slightly derogatory).

All people in all countries have racist views to some degree it's just human nature but when you let those views make you treat others badly or unfairly it is not right. I'm not a follower of big brother but must admit watching it for a few minutes last night that was all I could stomache.
It’s not the people on the programme that worries me, as there are always going to people any where in the world with those Dickensian views with regards to peoples differences. I am totally shocked at the TV Company for actually broadcasting such views, as they well know how their programmes influence the youth of today.
It sums up the media, as they make stars of such people like Jade, and I am proud to say I have not watched one minute of this rubbish and have only become aware of what has happened by the BBC news.

Andy
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with you, and the TV company needs to take responsibility, of course, for what it airs.
However, I viewed some of the content first hand, out of curiosity, to see what the furore was about. With luck, the outcome of the whole episode will be the end of so-called reality television, and some decent programmes instead!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

That's half the trouble, the name of the genre is completely misleading. There is no "reality" about it whatsoever.

More akin to sticking a load of lab-rats in a cage and poking them with sticks to watch them fight. And how undervalued the word "celebrity" has now become.

Can't think of anything less appealing.

Incidentally, I type this from an office in which approximately 50% of the staff hail from India. I've not heard anyone mention, or show the slightest interest in, Big Brother. Which is, of course, how it should be.

Last edited by Iain Mc; Jan 18th 2007 at 9:45 am.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, that is absolutely right - it is a storm in a tea cup. But it can't be ignored if it's causing effiges to be burned in India, and giving the impression that it's reflective of the UK as a whole.
But I think you're also right that it isn't worth further discussion! I've got a move to Canada to plan!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Isn't this exactly why people watch "reality" TV? They want the bad, rude, obnoxious behaviour - the worse the better - maybe this is why soaps are so popular. Those of you hoping to come to Canada, don't kid yourselves that racism doesn't exist here - it does, particularly in small towns (I can't speak for cities such as Toronto as it's many years since I've been there) and it's not just directed at someone who looks different; where I live, the Dutch and English are targetted, not in an overt way, but it's sly and sneaky. Gays of either gender are not to be tolerated. Unfortunately these attitudes are passed from one generation to another - I see it even among very close friends of mine who are regular church-goers and do an enormous amount of "good work" within their community - anyone who doesn't fit into their idea of what's "right" is ridiculed and barred. I think this is possibly because inhabitants of these small towns and villages have never met black people, asians and gays, but because they're different, they are to be feared and shunned. It's a great shame, but it's so entrenched I can't see it changing for a long, long time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.