Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best City in the World

Best City in the World

Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:11 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by Oink
Vancouver is a lovely city which gets even lovelier in the long warm summers but my only big gripe are the beach areas. While there's a lot of them, they don't have very good amenities. I'm not talking about donkeys on the sand but it would it hurt them to put in a nice pier or a small funfair of note? We used to go to Clacton when were kids and we used have loads of fun.

See what I mean? Unless you want to watch people's floppy bits or smoke dope with the rest of the wackos on Wreck Beach here's bugger all seasidey stuff to do for kids!

Vancouver Seaside
I was surprised to read in the caption to the first photograph, Oink, that in Vancouver, "the mountains affect the time."
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We have a nice pier in White Rock.
Attached Thumbnails Best City in the World-p9110108.jpg  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I was surprised to read in the caption to the first photograph, Oink, that in Vancouver, "the mountains affect the time."
Not really sure what they meant there. Although sunny its very very chilly today, I wish I'd brought some hot soup.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We have a nice pier in White Rock.
Not much in the way of amenities on it but at least you can get out and do some fishing. I must say that White Rock is the most seasidey feel for a place around here. We had fish and chips there on the waterfront. Dock's I believe the place was called.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Not much in the way of amenities on it but at least you can get out and do some fishing. I must say that White Rock is the most seasidey feel for a place around here. We had fish and chips there on the waterfront. Dock's I believe the place was called.
Moby Dick's is my favourite but this is on East Beach.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure what they meant there. Although sunny its very very chilly today, I wish I'd brought some hot soup.
I assume they mean that at this longitude/latitude the sun would normally set at such and such a time, but cos there are these mountains in the way, it's actually a bit earlier.

Though I expect everyone knew that and I'm pointlessly stating the obvious again.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:02 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I assume they mean that at this longitude/latitude the sun would normally set at such and such a time, but cos there are these mountains in the way, it's actually a bit earlier.

Though I expect everyone knew that and I'm pointlessly stating the obvious again.
Well, I suspect that's what they meant, but I don't think it's usual practice to make allowances for obstructions when calculating sunrise/sunset times.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Well, I suspect that's what they meant, but I don't think it's usual practice to make allowances for obstructions when calculating sunrise/sunset times.
No, but you might be slightly irked if you went to that webcam specifically to see the sunset, only to find the sun had disappeared behind the mountain 5 minutes ago.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No, but you might be slightly irked if you went to that webcam specifically to see the sunset, only to find the sun had disappeared behind the mountain 5 minutes ago.
Not a problem of course in Saskatchewan.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not a problem of course in Saskatchewan.
Did you know that you can watch your dog run away for a week? It's a rarely made observation, but it's true.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:07 pm

Did you know that you can watch your dog run away for a week? It's a rarely made observation, but it's true.
Apparently it was so wet last summer you could watch it swim away for a week, if you chose to.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't heard that before. What if you don't have a dog?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys
As long as it's not a tacky one with shops selling "kiss me quick hats..."
Heaven forbid.

Kiss me slow is much better.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:18 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Heaven forbid.

Kiss me slow is much better.
For a retired civil servant, you can be quite edgy at times.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
For a retired civil servant, you can be quite edgy at times.
The DSS does that to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.