Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best City in the World

Best City in the World

Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by Turquoise
Yup, dboy, you're right. I'm a Canadian living in outer London but I often pop in here as I find it interesting reading. I've been reading these threads long enough to know that dbd33 has a big hateon for Canada. I too, was wondering how long it would take him to pop in with his usual snide comments! Canada- backwards, mediocre, US light, frozen wasteland... oh, now there's dead bodies of homeless people strewn about our frozen parks! Yes, that used to be a real problem when I was living in Canada. Damn frozen bodies all over the place. Got sick and tired of tripping over them.

London itself is great and yes, there are a lot of lovely parks. When I first came here to teach, I lived and worked in Barking & Dagenham, Newham and in some areas in North and South London. Man, what sh!t holes- what an eye opener! Overcrowded, LITTER, CHAVS... we now live between Ilford and Romford- a step up but still, nothing to write home about (people at work refer to our area, Chadwell Heath, as Chavwell Heath, as they seem to be creeping into this area too). Lovely London and those nice parks (like Vancouver's beaches) might as well be in Brighton, also. My South African husband was shocked when he first started living here, also. He did some work in Tower Hamlets and Hackney and couldn't believe such crap holes existed so close to London. But unlike dbd33, I won't judge all of England, or it's people, by my conditions. Like a lot of other people, we are confined to where we live by jobs and money and your experiences are of course affected by these factors.
When I first came to England, I had the "grass is greener" syndrome. Now, while there are things I don't like about Canada, I realize now that there also is a lot to appreciate and would go home if not for hubby. I took hubby for his first trip to Canada (from Edmonton through Jasper, Banff, B.C.) and wow, so beautiful. British friends of mine live in Nova Scotia and love it; I would love to see the Maritimes one day also.
Anyways, loved dbd33's latest - try going to local parks around here, where us normal people have to live around London, and see all the hoodies with their staffies, drinking it up. I'll take the frozen bodies anyday!

Good advice from your mom, dboy!

Grew up in Hackney/Tower Hamlets, lovely places. Also lived in Chavwell Heath for a while and worked in Romford and completely agree with your views.

I think the problem with people who have been away from UK for a long time is they still remember how it was when they left. It isn't all bad, stilll a good place to live if you have money and can afford to live in a decent area, but it has changed a lot in recent years and not for the better unfortunately The rot just seems to keep spreading like a virus.

As for the beaches, a glimps of the sun and even Southend beach is full. I think people are frightened they might miss the only bit of sun we are likely to get if they don't take advantage of it!

Surely after his trip through the Rockie your OH wants to move too. Maybe be you need another trip to convince him
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Vancouver is a lovely city which gets even lovelier in the long warm summers but my only big gripe are the beach areas. While there's a lot of them, they don't have very good amenities. I'm not talking about donkeys on the sand but it would it hurt them to put in a nice pier or a small funfair of note? We used to go to Clacton when were kids and we used have loads of fun.

See what I mean? Unless you want to watch people's floppy bits or smoke dope with the rest of the wackos on Wreck Beach here's bugger all seasidey stuff to do for kids!

Vancouver Seaside
An interesting quote from the comments section in your webcam link...

"For the last hour or so, despite it absolutely pouring with rain, Sunset Beach las looked white and snowy. Any ideas what’s going on? Would love to know!"
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Vancouver is a lovely city which gets even lovelier in the long warm summers but my only big gripe are the beach areas. While there's a lot of them, they don't have very good amenities. I'm not talking about donkeys on the sand but it would it hurt them to put in a nice pier or a small funfair of note? We used to go to Clacton when were kids and we used have loads of fun.

See what I mean? Unless you want to watch people's floppy bits or smoke dope with the rest of the wackos on Wreck Beach here's bugger all seasidey stuff to do for kids!

Vancouver Seaside
yeah I see where your coming from but on the flip side, no pier or funfair equals not putting your hand in your pocket every five minutes to win that one eyed bear in the grabby machine, and also whatever happened to a good old bucket and spade? hours of entertainment right there I tell ya!!!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What are the beach huts like? Are they bigger than sheds?
They don't have those to either. They do have some nice park areas to play football on, some barbeque grills I suppose for poor people who can't afford their own and they put big logs on the beach which is good if you forget your windbreak. But it's all a little quiet. Our mayor seems to be more interested in destroying retail shops in our downtown area with bike lanes. I realize I'm stating the obvious but you can't take much shopping home on a push-bike. Very shortsighted IMO. That money could have been used towards a pier.

I rest my case. How nice would that be in Vancouver?

Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
An interesting quote from the comments section in your webcam link...

"For the last hour or so, despite it absolutely pouring with rain, Sunset Beach las looked white and snowy. Any ideas what’s going on? Would love to know!"
I think the clue there was that comment was made a month ago.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:27 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver Seaside
They do have a crap concession near the lido which is nearly on a par with those pink/white stripy huts you get on beaches in the UK. They could turn that bit at the bottom of denman into amusement arcades although I think it's being turned into yet another cactus club or something; yeah that's what the city needs - another bland "modern west coast" food outlet serving the same stuff as all the others.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think the clue there was that comment was made a month ago.
Well, yes.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:31 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uk-beachhuts.co.uk/beach_hut_for_sale.html

They don't sit around long though so keep checking the link if you're interested. I reckon Southwold beats Vancouver hands down. Adnams brewery and a good view of Sizewell on a nice day.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
They do have a crap concession near the lido which is nearly on a par with those pink/white stripy huts you get on beaches in the UK. They could turn that bit at the bottom of denman into amusement arcades although I think it's being turned into yet another cactus club or something; yeah that's what the city needs - another bland "modern west coast" food outlet serving the same stuff as all the others.
I know what your saying, they get an idea and then go mad by flogging it to death. It shows a distinct lack of imagination. Although I have to say the recent push towards more diversity in street cart food is a welcome, although expensive development.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by lmartin999
http://www.uk-beachhuts.co.uk/beach_hut_for_sale.html

They don't sit around long though so keep checking the link if you're interested. I reckon Southwold beats Vancouver hands down. Adnams brewery and a good view of Sizewell on a nice day.

If you put them in Vancouver people would live in them as they'd be bigger than most of the newer condos.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Whilst I think "defiantly agreeing" is quite appropriate in this thread I think you might need a bigger sample size.
not for me to make an informed opinion based on my personal experience, I could find more information on the net to compare other cities and hectares of green space etc but for one not all the info avaiable online is entirely accuarte and secondly I can't really be arsed.
I was making a judgment based on where I have lived in comparison, which i did state in the post.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stacey.cook1
yeah I see where your coming from but on the flip side, no pier or funfair equals not putting your hand in your pocket every five minutes to win that one eyed bear in the grabby machine, and also whatever happened to a good old bucket and spade? hours of entertainment right there I tell ya!!!
Totally agree with this. In fact I prefer beaches I've been to in Canada because they don't have all the commercial stuff which costs an arm and a leg and spoils the beauty of the place IMO.

I like the natural unspoilt quality of Canadian beaches though I would not say they are the most breathtakingly beautiful I have ever seen.

The only thing I missed were proper loos, can't be doing with the "long drop" toilets
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by tracys
Totally agree with this. In fact I prefer beaches I've been to in Canada because they don't have all the commercial stuff which costs an arm and a leg and spoils the beauty of the place IMO.

I like the natural unspoilt quality of Canadian beaches though I would not say they are the most breathtakingly beautiful I have ever seen.

The only thing I missed were proper loos, can't be doing with the "long drop" toilets
There's plenty of wildness type beaches up the Sunshine Coast, but we've had the Olympics now and there's no going back. If we want to be a world class city then we need a pier.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

There's plenty of wildness type beaches up the Sunshine Coast, but we've had the Olympics now and there's no going back. If we want to be a world class city then we need a pier.
As long as it's not a tacky one with shops selling "kiss me quick hats and dirty postcards And it must have proper loos
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we could sell the idea to the natives. They might agree if we tell them they can have slot machines on it - which of course they can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.