BC Teachers strike

Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Teachers strike

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I'm looking after your best interests by taking away that extra bottle of rum, that carton of cigarettes or more than $20 of dairy products including that really cheap piece of cheese. Those products are bad for your health.
There again all those trips to Thailand might get me or others thinking about a certain area that Thailand is noted for
Congratulations on turning the thread into a discussion about you and your job. Well done!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Congratulations on turning the thread into a discussion about you and your job. Well done!
Oh behave but I do note that you had to get a quick dig in about it
So back on thread many see the teachers as those evil public servants who do little work for a lot of pay and benefits and want more.
Both sides are at fault as we have seen both Provincial & Federal govts bargaining in bad faith over collective agreements and Unions making less than ideal demands.
So those with kids have a choice send them to schools to be educated and face these labour strifes or educate your kids at home through home schooling.
So how do BC teachers stack up against those in other Provinces or countries on salaries. Is that the teachers fault or the fault of provinces. If given the opportunity to earn 10 grand or more a year for doing the same job in a different area wouldn't you consider moving or complaining about your wage.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh behave but I do note that you had to get a quick dig in about it
So back on thread many see the teachers as those evil public servants who do little work for a lot of pay and benefits and want more.
Both sides are at fault as we have seen both Provincial & Federal govts bargaining in bad faith over collective agreements and Unions making less than ideal demands.
So those with kids have a choice send them to schools to be educated and face these labour strifes or educate your kids at home through home schooling.
So how do BC teachers stack up against those in other Provinces or countries on salaries. Is that the teachers fault or the fault of provinces. If given the opportunity to earn 10 grand or more a year for doing the same job in a different area wouldn't you consider moving or complaining about your wage.
Its the problem of the whole country. The illusion of Canadian identity is that as a country they think they're wealthier than they are, so you end up with bizarre income claims, especially where they have let the property speculating vultures increase property prices abnormally. They like the tax income, they don't like the consequences.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its the problem of the whole country. The illusion of Canadian identity is that as a country they think they're wealthier than they are, so you end up with bizarre income claims, especially where they have let the property speculating vultures increase property prices abnormally. They like the tax income, they don't like the consequences.
Im paid an annual salary regardless of where I work in Canada. I could choose to work in Vancouver or Toronto or work in say a place like Thunder Bay (which I did) or Charlottetown. Vast difference in the cost of living in those areas.
A lot of us have families so for arguments sake where is the cheapest place for me to buy a house Thunder Bay or Vancouver?
Is a teacher in Vancouver paid the same as a teacher in Thunder Bay? If they are then where is that teacher better off to raise a family?
Do we complain about a self employed plumber charging you X amount to fix your plumbing problems. What is the standard rate for a plumber? If he/she is good at their job then chances are they will get work. If a crap plumber then you might struggle. You can always choose to do your own plumbing if you don't agree to their hourly rate.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Im paid an annual salary regardless of where I work in Canada. I could choose to work in Vancouver or Toronto or work in say a place like Thunder Bay (which I did) or Charlottetown. Vast difference in the cost of living in those areas.
A lot of us have families so for arguments sake where is the cheapest place for me to buy a house Thunder Bay or Vancouver?
Is a teacher in Vancouver paid the same as a teacher in Thunder Bay? If they are then where is that teacher better off to raise a family?
Do we complain about a self employed plumber charging you X amount to fix your plumbing problems. What is the standard rate for a plumber? If he/she is good at their job then chances are they will get work. If a crap plumber then you might struggle. You can always choose to do your own plumbing if you don't agree to their hourly rate.
That'd be great if we could that with teachers. Have income linked to performance indicators and be able not to employ teachers we don't think are any good. Just like the market.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Have they no understanding of how public relations work or are they just that thick or arrogant?
Aren't those some of the qualifications required to be in such a profession?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea if Ontario teachers make more as I have read in some articles, but is it fair for teachers in a small province with a 4.4 million population to expect the same pay level of teachers in a far larger province?

But maybe BC has higher revenue for all I know.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 7:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have no idea if Ontario teachers make more as I have read in some articles, but is it fair for teachers in a small province with a 4.4 million population to expect the same pay level of teachers in a far larger province?

Pay them enough such that you can still fill the posts with qualified people. Simple.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Pay them enough such that you can still fill the posts with qualified people. Simple.
Which they seem to do, seems to be a lack of positions and a surplus of qualified teachers, so maybe the wages need to actually go down?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Ask yourself this question if they are doing the same job why shouldn't they be paid the same and this is where the problem lies. Isn't that what started the pay equity fights women were being payed less for doing the same job as a man did.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

Ask yourself this question if they are doing the same job why shouldn't they be paid the same and this is where the problem lies. Isn't that what started the pay equity fights women were being payed less for doing the same job as a man did.

There are too many variables in the real world that dictate wage. Wage should not be the same just because another employer pays their people more for the same job.

I agree is not right to pay a women less just for being a women, but just because Ontario pays more then BC or vice versa for a job, does not mean that job should be paid the same in BC.

My job pays 10.87/hr in Vancouver, in Edmonton same company, same job its 15.65/hr but you don't see people in Vancouver screaming to make the same as Edmonton, different job market different wage. For this example, Edmonton can't staff and Vancouver has more applicants then jobs, if a company has no issues finding qualified employees at a lower wage, I have no issue with that, clearly the wage is at an acceptable level to attract employees.

If BC can attract and retain teachers at the current pay structure and still have a surplus of people wanting teaching jobs, then the wage is set at an acceptable level for the job market in my opinion.

Just because another province pays more, does not mean every other province should match that wage. Every province is different, with different population and tax revenue, and budgets, what one can pay and afford, doesn't mean another can pay and afford.

If a BC teacher wants to make more and Alberta pays more, they can do what just about every private sector worker has to do, relocate for the higher paying job.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 19th 2014 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:37 pm

No. People can move to where there is better pay so that is not descriminatory.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No. People can move to where there is better pay so that is not descriminatory.
Im not suggesting its discriminatory because in the end its all about the money isn't it. Its like the old saying you have to pay for the best hence some outrageous salaries. Obviously if BC teachers are making less than others and teachers are wanting to move to BC then that quashes the theory of doing it for the money. So why are a lot of people complaining about house prices in Vancouver or Toronto or London. If you can't afford a house in one of many cities then why move there and then complain you can't afford a house. Isn't that the same argument we are using with wages?
Arent all BC residents happy with their Provincial government and feel like they live in a Province that is well run and manages its spending and is keeping taxes down.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:02 pm

Im not suggesting its discriminatory because in the end its all about the money isn't it. Its like the old saying you have to pay for the best hence some outrageous salaries. Obviously if BC teachers are making less than others and teachers are wanting to move to BC then that quashes the theory of doing it for the money. So why are a lot of people complaining about house prices in Vancouver or Toronto or London. If you can't afford a house in one of many cities then why move there and then complain you can't afford a house. Isn't that the same argument we are using with wages?
Arent all BC residents happy with their Provincial government and feel like they live in a Province that is well run and manages its spending and is keeping taxes down.
I don't know what point you are trying to make with this analogy. Your post compared gender with location, I was just pointing out that these two are not the same.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jun 19th 2014 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know what point you are trying to make with this analogy. Your post compared gender with location, I was just pointing out that these two are not the same.
Basically if you live in BC stop bitching about wages, taxes, cost of living, housing and spending. If you don't like it move to somewhere else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.