BC Teachers strike

Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Teachers strike

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Basically if you live in BC stop bitching about wages, taxes, cost of living, housing and spending. If you don't like it move to somewhere else
Nothing wrong with moaning, just be realistic about what your moaning can achieve.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nothing wrong with moaning, just be realistic about what your moaning can achieve.
I noticed in another thread you said you could earn more in the UK than you do here and in another thread you don't care about the pipeline as this is not your country. Fair play for whatever reason that is keeping you in Canada.
I have noticed that the biggest number of ex pat moaners either live in BC, GTA area or Nova Scotia. very little is heard from those in other areas. Perhaps those considering moving here should avoid those areas
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:43 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I noticed in another thread you said you could earn more in the UK than you do here and in another thread you don't care about the pipeline as this is not your country. Fair play for whatever reason that is keeping you in Canada.
I have noticed that the biggest number of ex pat moaners either live in BC, GTA area or Nova Scotia. very little is heard from those in other areas. Perhaps those considering moving here should avoid those areas
Inertia and laziness keep me here. I'd earn more, but I'd lose in other ways. I'd only make the effort to move for an amount that I'd consider life changing.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Inertia and laziness keep me here. I'd earn more, but I'd lose in other ways. I'd only make the effort to move for an amount that I'd consider life changing.
The silent killers.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
The silent killers.
Yeah. ... sigh ...
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

B.C. teachers' strike: 'Not even close' to deal, says education minister - British Columbia - CBC News

According to this article, the BCTF between wages, benefits, and signing bonus amounts to 14% , and the average public sector union increase is 7%, so it appears the teachers union might really be in a different reality.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
B.C. teachers' strike: 'Not even close' to deal, says education minister - British Columbia - CBC News

According to this article, the BCTF between wages, benefits, and signing bonus amounts to 14% , and the average public sector union increase is 7%, so it appears the teachers union might really be in a different reality.
Over how many years in each case?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's not stated, but the article implies the figures given are equivalent.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It's not stated, but the article implies the figures given are equivalent.
Well, the article reports that the Minister implies that the figures are equivalent.

Not entirely the same thing. Perhaps they are; I don't know, hence the query.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:05 pm

Like it or not, the liberals have a mandate to give a balanced budget as that is one the election promises that allowed them to remain in power. The news yesterday had figures suggesting the current demands would mean a deficit of $300M or so. It just isn't going to happen.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, they are just reporting the total figures in that article.

I know the B.C. Government and Service Employees’ Union got 5.5% over 5 years.

I know BCTF wants a 5 year contract.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:10 pm
Born again atheist

Thank you. But 5.5% over 5 years means that the members will be roughly 10% worse off by then than they are now.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not sure, they are just reporting the total figures in that article.

I know the B.C. Government and Service Employees’ Union got 5.5% over 5 years.

I know BCTF wants a 5 year contract.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:18 pm

Thank you. But 5.5% over 5 years means that the members will be roughly 10% worse off by then than they are now.

As a tax payer - yes, totally.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Your asking the wrong person. My wage today is the same as 2008, so my opinion is likely biased....

I have been in 2 unions, and our increases on each contract was generally in the 4-5% range over 5 years, but I was in the private sector, so I can't say its not a reasonable settlement, obviously the union and members thought it was as they approved it.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:29 pm
Born again atheist

As a tax payer - yes, totally.
But as a highly evolved humanist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.