Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Aug 8 - 4,000 People a week trying to leave UK

Wikiposts

Aug 8 - 4,000 People a week trying to leave UK

Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:36 am
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all
Default Re: Aug 8 - 4,000 People a week trying to leave UK

Originally Posted by dbd33
What I don't follow is, if you disagree so fundamentally with the politics of a country why do you want to move there? Canada is not suddenly going to be unwelcoming of the masses after you arrive.

If you want to move because you think the country has space for you to retreat into like some slow speaking version of the Montana Militia why do you think Canada should admit you? That doesn't sound as valuable to the country as an immigrant who doesn't speak English or French but who will pick potatoes.
Mr/Ms? dbd33 - I feel challenged and refreshed by your unique perspective on life.*

How could you possibly know that I disagree fundamentally with all the politics of Canada? I think the country is a vast improvement on where I live now - and look forward to moving me and kids over there for an improved quality of life (been working on it for 10 years). I already have lots of Canadian friends and aquaintances - and look forward to integrating fully into a Canadian sub-division (a long way from "retreating into the hills"). Heck, as I'm moving to the Maritimes - I'm even going to learn a bit of French. I couldn't care less where "the masses" move to after I arrive - but at a guess it will be where they feel most comfortable (and good luck to them I say).

Slow speaking? Are you showing some snobbery/predjudice/bigotry <delete as appropriate> to Yorkshire people there? Montana Militia WTF? I think you need some councilling for your "anti-Yorkshire-ism."

As for why should Canada admit me? Too late - I'm a landed PR - with a job waiting for me in IT (as soon as I sell my house). I think the IT skills swung it as I'm not very good at spud picking

*add ultra-sarcastic tone
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobinHood
Mr/Ms? dbd33 - I feel challenged and refreshed by your unique perspective on life.*

How could you possibly know that I disagree fundamentally with all the politics of Canada? I think the country is a vast improvement on where I live now - and look forward to moving me and kids over there for an improved quality of life (been working on it for 10 years). I already have lots of Canadian friends and aquaintances - and look forward to integrating fully into a Canadian sub-division (a long way from "retreating into the hills"). Heck, as I'm moving to the Maritimes - I'm even going to learn a bit of French. I couldn't care less where "the masses" move to after I arrive - but at a guess it will be where they feel most comfortable (and good luck to them I say).

Slow speaking? Are you showing some snobbery/predjudice/bigotry <delete as appropriate> to Yorkshire people there? Montana Militia WTF? I think you need some councilling for your "anti-Yorkshire-ism."

As for why should Canada admit me? Too late - I'm a landed PR - with a job waiting for me in IT (as soon as I sell my house). I think the IT skills swung it as I'm not very good at spud picking

*add ultra-sarcastic tone
"Slow speaking" was a reference to the Maritimes rather than to Yorkshire. Yorkshire's all about whippets and ee bah gum, innit?

I didn't say that you seem to disagree with all the politics of Canada but that you seem to disagree with the fundamental policy of Canada; multiculturalism. I can't see why someone would flee a small amount of multiculturalism in the UK by moving to a country with a more diverse population. (Granted the Martimes are far from being the most diverse place in Canada).
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:11 am
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all
Talking Re: Aug 8 - 4,000 People a week trying to leave UK

"Slow speaking" was a reference to the Maritimes rather than to Yorkshire. Yorkshire's all about whippets and ee bah gum, innit?

I didn't say that you seem to disagree with all the politics of Canada but that you seem to disagree with the fundamental policy of Canada; multiculturalism. I can't see why someone would flee a small amount of multiculturalism in the UK by moving to a country with a more diverse population. (Granted the Martimes are far from being the most diverse place in Canada).
As far as I can tell multiculturalism is not the fundamental policy of Canada - the country has far more depth than that. Lets face it the multiculturalism policies were originally devised with the Francophones in mind - and changed over the years as the country became more diverse. As for "fleeing" a "small" amount of multiculturalism - who says I am? Sure I'm concerned by developments in my own area - but the main reason I am leaving is to live in a country I love, enjoying my job more, in an area with less alcohol related crime and drug abuse (mortgage free and in a bigger house).

Ee by gum I love t'Maritimes. Can't wait to go on a racoon hunt wi t'whippet.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can tell multiculturalism is not the fundamental policy of Canada - the country has far more depth than that.
Eh? What more depth is there or could there be? What differentiates Canada from the US is that, in the US, the abiding philosophy is that of the melting pot, immigrants are expected to become or at least to aspire to become Americans, whereas immigrants to Canada are expected to become hyphenated Canadians. One can argue that this philosophical difference matters little at the practical level but it is what makes Canada Canada.

Lets face it the multiculturalism policies were originally devised with the Francophones in mind - and changed over the years as the country became more diverse.
I don't think that's the case at all, Trudeau created modern Canada by his immigration policies, policies that continue to this day. The francophones had no need of multiculturalism as their culture was entrenched.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:43 am
Canadian Outlaw

Eh? What more depth is there or could there be? What differentiates Canada from the US is that, in the US, the abiding philosophy is that of the melting pot, immigrants are expected to become or at least to aspire to become Americans, whereas immigrants to Canada are expected to become hyphenated Canadians. One can argue that this philosophical difference matters little at the practical level but it is what makes Canada Canada.

I don't think that's the case at all, Trudeau created modern Canada by his immigration policies, policies that continue to this day. The francophones had no need of multiculturalism as their culture was entrenched.
According to chapter 1 of my AA Book on Canada - the country has been multicultural (Anglophone, Native and Francophone) since before confederation. I was not talking about Trudeau's policies in particular -but the very fact that he was Prime Minister - says that Canada has been balancing different cultures since before the "modern" era. The roots of Canada's multiculturalism stems from its past IMHO (and the AA's ).

As for the melting-pot approach - what the US does is its own business. I don't think immigration policy is what really sets both countries apart - there's more to it than that. But then again aren't the Americans the most hyphenated country on earth (Italian-, Irish-, African-...). I have to say I do like the States (got married there) although I'm not into the gun-culture and Bible-bashing in some States. If I'd decided to emigrate there it would have been Portland Maine (which is not a million miles from New Brunswick anyway).

Hyphenised Canadians? Hmmm... not heard the term English-Canadian/British-Canadian. Are we exempt or do I have to use "Anglo"? I have heard of Irish-Canadian maybe I could be one of those as my Dad's side are from Dublin. Seriously I have no intention of being hyphenated - as soon as I have citizenship I will be "Canadian." Who knows - maybe I'll even loose my Yorkshire accent (and give the whippet away).

Did you see the CBC report filmed in Keighley, West Yorkshire last year? It appeared online for a bit - I'll see if I can find a link for it (maybe in the CBC archive section). That was part of a news at 6 show with regard to the governments re-evaluation on multiculturalism in light of the "Toronto 17." A 16 year old schoolboy was arrested re: the Toronto plot outside his school in North Kirklees by the way - I think that's why they filmed it in West Riding (and because the 7/7 lads of course). The jist of the show was the Canadian Government reviewing its policies with regard to the problems encountered in some parts of the UK (which may be replicated in Ontario in future years). Ann Cryer (Labour MP for Keighley) was interviewed and I think the Trevor Phillip's report was also mentioned.

Don't be surprised if, like the UK, multiculturalism is modified/phased out over the years... You know it really does perplex me that some people* congratulate themselves on their tolerance of the fanatically intolerant. Brave campaigners, like Ann Cryer, who have tried to help battered women in Keighley - for example - have been smeared as racist. In fact, the real racists are the people who vehemently condemn misogyny and homophobia when it comes from white people but mysteriously fall silent when it comes from "multicultural" areas.

*Often Guardian readers

Last edited by RobinHood; Aug 12th 2007 at 10:53 am.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:12 am
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Don't be surprised if, like the UK, multiculturalism is modified/phased out over the years... You know it really does perplex me that some people* congratulate themselves on their tolerance of the fanatically intolerant. Brave campaigners, like Ann Cryer, who have tried to help battered women in Keighley - for example - have been smeared as racist. In fact, the real racists are the people who vehemently condemn misogyny and homophobia when it comes from white people but mysteriously fall silent when it comes from "multicultural" areas.

*Often Guardian readers
Dislike of another culture isn't racism, it's an opinion.
Not liking the gay lifestyle is not homophobia, it's an opinion.
<comment removed>

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 12th 2007 at 2:02 pm. Reason: Inappropriate comment removed
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Addy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant future

BTW, could the last person out, please turn off the lights?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:32 am
Canadian Outlaw

Originally Posted by didikai
Dislike of another culture isn't racism, it's an opinion.
Not liking the gay lifestyle is not homophobia, it's an opinion.<removed>.
Maybe "intolerants" should all have a spell in "Tolerance Camp" like the Southpark kids in this episode:

http://allsp.com/l.php?id=e93

If you don't like things being stuck up a bloke's bott, didikai - don't watch the episode (poor old Lemiwinks the gerbil).

The character Mr Garrison sums up the "Tolerance Police" suberbly at the end.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 12th 2007 at 2:03 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

brigham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Reminds me of the stories of the English living in Spain, never learning Spanish, demanding egg and bacon for breakfast and English beer and Sky TV in the bars, saying the reason they had to leave England was because all the bloody immigrants wouldn't integrate.

Never mind spain, people emigrate to Canada and still want to watch UK tv, eat branston pickle, go to the local indian for a curry after a night in the pub drinking tetleys beer!![/QUOTE]

whats wrong with that, just watched 2 games of footy, chelski v brum and manure v reading, i'll have a ruby for my t and a boddies or a strongbow for my drink. Oh and if I can be bothered learning English at a younger age I don't see why any foreigner shouldn't!!!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:48 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

<removed>
Then don't think about it. Although, one has to wonder why you do spend so much time thinking about it. Maybe there's something you're not telling yourself?

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 12th 2007 at 2:02 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:03 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bazzz
Then don't think about it. Although, one has to wonder why you do spend so much time thinking about it. Maybe there's something you're not telling yourself?
I'm telling myself I'm glad I don't live on Davie, like you do.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:08 pm
Banned

Maybe "intolerants" should all have a spell in "Tolerance Camp" like the Southpark kids in this episode:

http://allsp.com/l.php?id=e93

If you don't like things being stuck up a bloke's bott, didikai - don't watch the episode (poor old Lemiwinks the gerbil).

The character Mr Garrison sums up the "Tolerance Police" suberbly at the end.
You watch Souhpark?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:26 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm telling myself I'm glad I don't live on Davie, like you do.
Did you see what he did there? For those of you not in the know, Davie St is as close as Vancouver gets to a gay village. By insinuating that I live on that street he's implying that I'm gay.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 3:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bazzz
Did you see what he did there? For those of you not in the know, Davie St is as close as Vancouver gets to a gay village. By insinuating that I live on that street he's implying that I'm gay.
Is that an insult??
A little bit of homophobia here methinks...
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:13 pm
Canadian Outlaw

You watch Souhpark?
Yup - I like the way it takes the rise out of everyone and anything. They are equal opportunity offenders.

Every episode is online here:

http://allsp.com

Even the (now) controversial "Super Best Friends" episode - which went unnoticed when it was aired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.