Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Aug 8 - 4,000 People a week trying to leave UK

Wikiposts

Aug 8 - 4,000 People a week trying to leave UK

Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 8 - 4,000 People a week trying to leave UK

Originally Posted by owen
Unfortunately the article is no longer avail, "it may have been deleted"!! I wonder why?! 4000 indeed, a company after free publicity more like. An dwhile I'm at it, The Express' motto is "The world's greatest paper" OMG
I think the OP's link is broken, I just looked and here it is - http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ng-to-leave-UK

...they have 90,000 people not taking their driving test in English as today's headline
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:56 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny, I would cite my main reason for leaving as wanting to get away from Daily Express readers and their ilk.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think the OP's link is broken, I just looked and here it is - http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ng-to-leave-UK

...they have 90,000 people not taking their driving test in English as today's headline
Cheers biiiiink,
Peter the american's response "it's the liberty, stupid" is priceless!!!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Daily Express, is that the one that alternates it's front page between stories about Maddy and stories about Diana? It's astonishing that they've managed to find at least two Diana stories every week since she died and show no sign of letting up.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:26 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Daily Express, is that the one that alternates it's front page between stories about Maddy and stories about Diana? It's astonishing that they've managed to find at least two Diana stories every week since she died and show no sign of letting up.
How easy for us to make smart-ass comments from afar. I think the point of the article or sentiment is that there is unlimited immigration into an infrastructure that cannot support it, and the citizens are feeling overwhelmed. From my frequent visits back, I think there are some valid concerns. As for the comment about high numbers of immigrants who take the driving test but can't speak the language - same applies here, but as long as they understand the signage that shouldn't be an issue. Most road signs are pretty universal.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:34 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by startwin
I think the point of the article or sentiment is that there is unlimited immigration into an infrastructure that cannot support it, and the citizens are feeling overwhelmed.

Same could be said of a lot of fast growing cities in Canada. I know a lot of people who have lived in Calgary for a long time and they are leaving or are thinking/planning to leave for precisely that reason.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
How easy for us to make smart-ass comments from afar. I think the point of the article or sentiment is that there is unlimited immigration into an infrastructure that cannot support it, and the citizens are feeling overwhelmed. From my frequent visits back, I think there are some valid concerns. As for the comment about high numbers of immigrants who take the driving test but can't speak the language - same applies here, but as long as they understand the signage that shouldn't be an issue. Most road signs are pretty universal.
The Express is a legitimate target for smart-arse comments as it has a long history of publishing xenophobic clap-trap. Citing the Express in a thread header invites derision (as would citing the Toronto/Calgary/wherever Sun or the National Enquirer).

The sentiment that there is unlimited immigration into an infrastructure that cannot support it is common in Canada so, at the least, it's wryly amusing for someone to want to solve one perceived problem by adding to the same perceived problem elsewhere.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I think that wherever you immigrate to (or should it be emigrate??) anyway, no matter, I think moderation is the best thing. You should learn the local language well, integrate with the community but still keep on with the things like Branston pickle and Marmite!! I know of a couple who emigrated from Chile probably 40 years ago, when they were in their 20s. The father can speak OK English. The mother can speak hardly any English. They have a satellite dish and watch TV in Spanish. I think when you come to a country, you should make an effort to be part of that country, otherwise it seems to me that you are just taking what it has to offer and contributing nothing.

If you come to Canada from whatever country and don't learn the language and insist on wearing different clothing from your original country etc. etc. then I don't think you should be surprised if people don't welcome you with joy!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:39 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Express is a legitimate target for smart-arse comments as it has a long history of publishing xenophobic clap-trap. Citing the Express in a thread header invites derision (as would citing the Toronto/Calgary/wherever Sun or the National Enquirer).
Hey! Don't sully the National Enquirer!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Same could be said of a lot of fast growing cities in Canada. I know a lot of people who have lived in Calgary for a long time and they are leaving or are thinking/planning to leave for precisely that reason.
Not just fast growing cities. White flight from Toronto is a major reason why the city is more than half populated by first generation immigrants. Generally I think a good measure of the sentiment of the city is to look at where the police officers live as they tend to be extremely conservative and might be said to represent the most reactionary element of society. Toronto cops commute from remote places such as Port Hope and Orangeville.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by lizwil98
If you come to Canada from whatever country and don't learn the language and insist on wearing different clothing from your original country etc. etc. then I don't think you should be surprised if people don't welcome you with joy!
Nonethless, by behaving in that manner, I've raised the quality of discourse and satorial standards of the place.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:58 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Nonethless, by behaving in that manner, I've raised the quality of discourse and satorial standards of the place.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I don't even understand what that means
Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:15 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I think social integration, language skills etc are very important elements when emigrating, but IMO clothing is irrelevant. Clothing's part of what helps define you as an individual, and can reflect your cultural background. No need to ditch that just because you're in a different country from where you originated.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by owen
I don't even understand what that means
I have not adopted "protest" as a transitive verb. I own very little plaid. My use of "eh?" is derisory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.