Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone watch the debate last night?

Anyone watch the debate last night?

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:26 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone watch the debate last night?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
D'you know, I think Souv might've already known that.

Could be wrong of course.
Well ..... somebody else might have been wondering.

She apparently went some way towards redeeming herslf in last night's debate, according to the news this morning.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:32 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Well ..... somebody else might have been wondering.

She apparently went some way towards redeeming herslf in last night's debate, according to the news this morning.
I do find it rather alarming that the standard that potential VP Mrs Palin is being held to is basically "that she didn't f*** it up".

I think they hold stronger standards than that if you're running for chair of a school board of governers, never mind the second-most powerful person in the USA.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:55 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
never mind the second-most powerful person in the USA.
Thats debatable. Constitutionally the VP has bugger all to do and very little influence. John Garner (FDRs VP, 1933-41) memorably described his elevated office as being "not worth a bucket of warm piss"

However, should the president become incapacitated, then its a short steep elevation to power.....
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pamplemousse
There is obviously arty things in urban areas but the notion of art as an urban activity is a limited, don't you think?

For instance, there is an exhibit at the Canadian Museum of Civilization of Folk Art from Quebec - it's very rural in its content (and wonderfully whimsical).

Also, a lot of potters, painters, sculptors, writers, etc... live where it's cheap to live and where they can do their art ... ie, where there is space, peace and/or where one doesn't have so many bylaw restrictions (pottery kiln, paint fumes, etc).

Just look at local artist studio tours... they are mostly all rural.
To me, the 'hot button' issues in QC are the state of the transport infrastructure, and the size of the government.

But i guess i'm just showing my political colours.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
To me, the 'hot button' issues in QC are the state of the transport infrastructure, and the size of the government.

But i guess i'm just showing my political colours.
Not very clearly. Do you want more or less transport infrastructure and more or less government?

If it's more or the first and less of the second, should you perhaps think this through a bit?
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:25 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I do find it rather alarming that the standard that potential VP Mrs Palin is being held to is basically "that she didn't f*** it up".

I think they hold stronger standards than that if you're running for chair of a school board of governers, never mind the second-most powerful person in the USA.
Originally Posted by iaink
Thats debatable. Constitutionally the VP has bugger all to do and very little influence. John Garner (FDRs VP, 1933-41) memorably described his elevated office as being "not worth a bucket of warm piss"

However, should the president become incapacitated, then its a short steep elevation to power.....
From what I've read and seen, somebody needs to explain to Ms Palin exactly what the duties of a VP are, as she doesn't seem too sure!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

The influence of the VP varies depending on the individual. They should be an assistant to the president with a mutual agreement as to that role. They should not be involved in the Legislature except when there is a need for a deciding vote in the Senate. Certainly Cheney has been very influential, many say far too much so, and to very bad effect. Palin appeared to be asking for more power than he had which is worrying. Also one in three VPs get to become President...
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:42 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I believe the argument is that Quebec's policy of rehabilitation, rather than retribution, reduces the incidence of re-offence.
Either that or they go to Ontario to commit their crime
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:44 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Not very clearly. Do you want more or less transport infrastructure and more or less government?

If it's more or the first and less of the second, should you perhaps think this through a bit?
More infrastructure and less government please
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
More infrastructure and less government please
Kaboom! A miracle happens.

Infrastructure, such as the interstate system or the hospitals in Canada, gets built because governments build it. The free market is consumed by the need for a profit this year and so cannot help with projects with a hundred year life cycle.

More infrastructure or less government is a choice, like ice cream or thinness, you can't have them both.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:28 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by dbd33
Kaboom! A miracle happens.

Infrastructure, such as the interstate system or the hospitals in Canada, gets built because governments build it. The free market is consumed by the need for a profit this year and so cannot help with projects with a hundred year life cycle.

More infrastructure or less government is a choice, like ice cream or thinness, you can't have them both.
Hmmm I wonder how roads get built?

Silly me I thought it was a tendering process and private companies bid for the work. I didnt realise you needed more government workers to help with the RFP and selection process. All they need to do is appoint their own Project Manager, design review team (more private sector roles with tightly designed governance).

Then appoint REAL project governance control not the wishy washy stuff I see now (in most provinces not just QC).

Unless government is running at full capacity I see no reason why spending money needs to generate more government. I know some government departments are running at near capacity and some go over the edge. But perhaps if they reviewed the working practices they may squeeze more work out of people during the summer months

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Oct 5th 2008 at 12:31 am.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 1:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm I wonder how roads get built?

Silly me I thought it was a tendering process and private companies bid for the work. I didnt realise you needed more government workers to help with the RFP and selection process. All they need to do is appoint their own Project Manager, design review team (more private sector roles with tightly designed governance).

Then appoint REAL project governance control not the wishy washy stuff I see now (in most provinces not just QC).

Unless government is running at full capacity I see no reason why spending money needs to generate more government. I know some government departments are running at near capacity and some go over the edge. But perhaps if they reviewed the working practices they may squeeze more work out of people during the summer months
For whatever reason, you're choosing to miss the point. "Less government" is not synonymous with "fewer government employees", although of course, if so specified it could legitimately used in that sense.

More generally, "less government" implies "less government spending". In which case who actually wields the shovel is irrelevant. It's who pays for it to be wielded which matters.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 1:30 am
Happy in NB

For whatever reason, you're choosing to miss the point. "Less government" is not synonymous with "fewer government employees", although of course, if so specified it could legitimately used in that sense.

More generally, "less government" implies "less government spending". In which case who actually wields the shovel is irrelevant. It's who pays for it to be wielded which matters.
There was me thinking small government was about getting the best bang for your buck and keeping government out of social engineering and sticking with creating the right environment for the society to thrive ..... (infrastructure such as power, roads, public buildings, education, healthcare, law and order to name a few)

hmmmm it doesnt get more ambiguous than that. One person's thrive is another person's interference and social engineering.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There was me thinking small government was about getting the best bang for your buck and keeping government out of social engineering and sticking with creating the right environment for the society to thrive ..... (infrastructure such as power, roads, public buildings, education, healthcare, law and order to name a few)

hmmmm it doesnt get more ambiguous than that. One person's thrive is another person's interference and social engineering.
If you're saying above that government should provide infrastructure such as power, roads, public buildings, education, healthcare, law and order then I agree with you.

The ambiguity comes in the definition of "social engineering". What you call "social engineering", I call "protecting children", and would include it under "law and order".
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:44 am
Born again atheist

You sound like a retarded version of Sarah Palin in dire need of a teleprompter. "Bang for your buck", "social engineering"; Define your terms man.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.