Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone watch the debate last night?

Wikiposts

Anyone watch the debate last night?

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:37 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone watch the debate last night?

The results of a Ipsos Reid post-debate poll are in today's Globe and Mail.

Harper got a bit of a kicking. Layton, on the other hand, may well have gained fans in QC. Souvette was quick to compliment the dramatic improvement in his French. He's clearly been working very hard on it, particularly the accent. That will not have gone unnoticed.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone watch the debate last night?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The results of a Ipsos Reid post-debate poll are in today's Globe and Mail.

Harper got a bit of a kicking. Layton, on the other hand, may well have gained fans in QC. Souvette was quick to compliment the dramatic improvement in his French. He's clearly been working very hard on it, particularly the accent. That will not have gone unnoticed.
It is a measure of my view of the world that, on seeing the header, I thought "Huh? It's tonight".
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
It is a measure of my view of the world that, on seeing the header, I thought "Huh? It's tonight".
That's the other one. Last night's was prety important because there is a lot of swing potential in QC and Harper's plans to cut arts funding and throw children in jail have not gone down well.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

I watched a few minutes of it. Layton was born in QC,albeit Mtl and Hudson is where he grew up (he graduated from McGill so he spent 20+ years in QC)..as a result, he should be able to speak french.

Harpers french sounded stilted but still better than I was expecting.

Elizabeth May's french wasn't very good and at times she seemed quite shrill.

I blocked Duceppe out of my memory.

In all honesty, do you think these debates change peoples minds or do people just tend to focus on the insignificant things in these debates (ie. if a leaders tie clashed with his/her jacket, if their hair was combed properly).
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the other one. Last night's was prety important because there is a lot of swing potential in QC and Harper's plans to cut arts funding and throw children in jail have not gone down well.
I was thinking of Palin and Biden.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by clynnog
I watched a few minutes of it. Layton was born in QC,albeit Mtl and Hudson is where he grew up (he graduated from McGill so he spent 20+ years in QC)..as a result, he should be able to speak french.

Harpers french sounded stilted but still better than I was expecting.

Elizabeth May's french wasn't very good and at times she seemed quite shrill.

I blocked Duceppe out of my memory.

In all honesty, do you think these debates change peoples minds or do people just tend to focus on the insignificant things in these debates (ie. if a leaders tie clashed with his/her jacket, if their hair was combed properly).
The point about Layton is that he has made a very clear effort to get his French up to a level that Quebeckers want. Rightly or wrongly, some people will have read that as commitment.

The point of the debates, all campaigning in fact, is not to effect a mass change in voting habits. Most people don't change. Swing voters are the ones that win or lose elections. Such people change their minds for all sorts of reasons, including irrational and emotional ones.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was thinking of Palin and Biden.
Who?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:46 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder which will get better ratings in Canada, the PM debate or the US VP debate. Palin has the potential to be more entertaining I suspect.

I was sent this today.... It seems to define a condition I suffer from.
A NEW PHRASE IS BORN

I knew someone would find a name for
our election process for this year.

Electile Dysfunction :

The inability to become aroused over any of the choices for PRIME
MINISTER put forth by any party in the 2008 election year.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:27 am
Banned

pamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nice

Swing voters are the ones that win or lose elections. Such people change their minds for all sorts of reasons, including irrational and emotional ones.
I have to admit, Harper's idea of throwing children in jail is appealing to me. As for irrational reasons, I'm not aware of my own at this moment.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pamplemousse
I have to admit, Harper's idea of throwing children in jail is appealing to me. As for irrational reasons, I'm not aware of my own at this moment.
Agreed. Noisy little snot nosed beggars, aren't they? Let them out at about 19, do you think? Or is that too soon?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:51 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Or is that too soon?
Nineteen...too soon.

Most of them don't mature until they are in their mid thirties these days.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:59 am
Account Closed

iananddave is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched the french language debate on CBC Newsworld with translation.

Harper's translator sounded a bit camp - made me laugh considering he's such a homophobe. He looked in pain which made me laugh even more.

I thought Layton's French accent was rather sexy... he has been practicing. (Remember the accent not him ) He could loose the moustache and that ugly blue shirt in his commercials.

Elizabeth May's French was very bad! The poor translator was probably thinking 'what the f**k - made no sense... but when does she ever). Back on your train honey.

Dion was just being Dion.

and Duceppe was more Dion with the volume turned up. Quebec voice in Unesco - blah blah blah...

I look forward to the Frenches getting thrashed in English tonight
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iananddave
I look forward to the Frenches getting thrashed in English tonight
Won't happen. Both Dion and Duceppe have (very) poor accents in English, but they are both very good debaters in either language.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Won't happen. Both Dion and Duceppe have (very) poor accents in English, but they are both very good debaters in either language.
Duceppe once physically assaulted me in an elevator.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think people in rural quebec really give a stuff about 'arts funding?'

To me, this "arts" issue seems more of a "montreal" issue. I wouldn't write the tories off in QC just yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.