British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Anyone into birds? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/anyone-into-birds-877713/)

BristolUK May 19th 2016 5:07 pm

Anyone into birds?

I'm not.

But it's a lot more fun passing a tree full of waxwings and gazing out the window at Blue Jays, Woodpeckers and the other ones I've not been able to identify than I remember noticing back in Bristol.

I saw a couple of Black capped chickadees today. Never seen those before.

Bob May 19th 2016 5:44 pm

Re: Anyone into birds?

4 Attachment(s)
I love the different birds out here compared to the UK.

Here's a few local ones, a wild turkey, a turkey vulture across the road, a bald eagle that just took off and a cardinal.

I really like seeing cardinals, bluejays and the variety of woodpeckers, but those things are pretty tough to get a decent photo of.

Pizzawheel May 19th 2016 9:29 pm

And not one tit joke.

Sigh.

BristolUK May 19th 2016 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11952221)
And not one tit joke.

Sigh.

Well, there was a 'wood' and a pecker in there. :lol:

Pizzawheel May 19th 2016 9:59 pm

And I guess there's the bluejays acronym joke.

Still the birds are pretty awesome. It's amazing to see a cardinal in your back yard.

JamesM May 19th 2016 10:58 pm

I'm into Owls. I thought my avatar gave it away.

MillieF May 20th 2016 1:39 am

I miss the sound of a European, or indeed African, morning....the birds here in winter are a hardy breed by force, they don't tend to sing their praise;) Nor indeed would I. This morning I heard wood pigeons and the sound is so utterly evocative of pleasanter times that it caught me by surprise...it would seem that the good times, might finally roll:thumbup:

I like the sound of the woodpeckers, an enterprising bunch. But the crows cawing leave me cold...Eastern Canada is maybe less melodic than more pastoral parts?

BEVS May 20th 2016 1:58 am

I love all birds.

I've subscribed to this thread so bring on the pics everyone. :starsmile:

ann m May 20th 2016 5:13 am

1 Attachment(s)
I like birds. We get a lot of Bohemian waxwings round here. November is an all you can eat buffet ;). Only seem to be able to load one photo at a time on ipad. I don't know how this one even took off. Greedy bugger

ann m May 20th 2016 5:14 am

1 Attachment(s)
And another

ann m May 20th 2016 5:15 am

1 Attachment(s)
And last one

ann m May 20th 2016 5:18 am

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, well, while I'm at it, here's some more ...

Stinkypup May 20th 2016 5:22 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 11952366)
Ok, well, while I'm at it, here's some more ...

I love the waxwings but the Great Grey Owl:thumbup:
And Bob, I do love a Cardinal :eek:

ann m May 20th 2016 5:22 am

1 Attachment(s)
American robin (who's actually a thrush and not related to British robin).

ann m May 20th 2016 5:24 am

1 Attachment(s)
And last one for tonight, just a regular old grey jay

Stinkypup May 20th 2016 5:25 am

4 Attachment(s)
You did ask...
Bluebirds
Californian Quail
Obligatory eagles;)
Waxwing

ann m May 20th 2016 5:27 am

Nice, Stinky :thumbup:

Siouxie May 20th 2016 6:25 am

I miss the song of thrush's and blackbirds.. and the English robin sitting on the fence.

My sister and her husband are hard core twitchers - they travel all over the place (in Ontario now, but years ago in S. Africa) to view a lesser spotted whatever. I remember gazing in awe in Hong Kong at a hoopoe and my brother in law (who was visiting) saying "oh those - see them everywhere" lol.

I like the cardinals, goldfinches, tree creepers and doves - not so much the damn hawk who nested in one of the trees in the back garden this winter and decimated several doves and sparrows. Grackles are a pain in the bum but amusing to watch, as are American robins.

On my other computer I've a lovely picture of a dove in the nest from a couple of years ago and several shots of baby robins - I'll have to dig them out.

:)

BEVS May 20th 2016 6:48 am

Do. :nod:

I miss robin redbreasts. :wub: The robins here are black & white. Everything here seems to be black and white. :lol:

Shard May 20th 2016 9:36 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11952296)
I love all birds.

...ok...just some geese

BristolUK May 20th 2016 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11952368)
And Bob, I do love a Cardinal :eek:

Bob from Twin Peaks? http://www.sheepproductions.com/tps/...ations/bob.jpg:rofl:

christmasoompa May 20th 2016 12:06 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11952296)
I love all birds.

Here you go, our owl chicks that have recently started exploring. Pretty rubbish photos but taken on my phone. They're in one of our owl boxes (the other box has just had Sparrowhawks nesting/hatching - think they didn't read the sign on the box!). :lol:

BristolUK May 20th 2016 12:58 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Black-capped Chickadee

Stinkypup May 20th 2016 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11952491)
...ok...just some geese

Ironic Canada geese... Presumably taken in the UK ;)

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11952582)
Here you go, our owl chicks that have recently started exploring. Pretty rubbish photos but taken on my phone. They're in one of our owl boxes (the other box has just had Sparrowhawks nesting/hatching - think they didn't read the sign on the box!). :lol:

What owlets are they? I wouldn't begrudge sparrowhawks, they are amazing birds too
Snoop has got me addicted to the Norwich peregrines webcam ...
Norwich Cathedral Peregrine Live Web Cam 2016 | Urban Peregrine Projects

Trouble is, mum has been chased off by a larger female interloper and left dad holding the babies...:(

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11952613)
Black-capped Chickadee

Beautiful photo Bristol-:thumbup:

Siouxie May 21st 2016 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11953029)

What owlets are they? I wouldn't begrudge sparrowhawks, they are amazing birds too
Snoop has got me addicted to the Norwich peregrines webcam ...
Norwich Cathedral Peregrine Live Web Cam 2016 | Urban Peregrine Projects

Trouble is, mum has been chased off by a larger female interloper and left dad holding the babies...:(

Here's another cam for you - Hamilton Community Peregrine Project Falcon Cam - Sheraton Hamilton Peregrines and close up Hamilton Community Peregrine Project Falcon Cam #1 - Sheraton Hamilton Peregrines

Oink May 21st 2016 12:19 am

See a lot of seagulls, blue herons, cormorants and eagles. I get on better with them than the naffing seals, sea lions and orcas.

Stinkypup May 21st 2016 12:45 am

That looks good, the great thing with the Norwich one is the live streaming with sound. It overlooks the school that the pups went to before they came over. Interesting to see the life of the school from the cathedral spire.

Some bird fancier:eek:/ racing pigeon breeder I see in the comments is moaning about his poor little birdies getting picked off by the peregrines.....bless:rofl:

bats May 21st 2016 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11952392)
I miss the song of thrush's and blackbirds.. and the English robin sitting on the fence.

My sister and her husband are hard core twitchers - they travel all over the place (in Ontario now, but years ago in S. Africa) to view a lesser spotted whatever. I remember gazing in awe in Hong Kong at a hoopoe and my brother in law (who was visiting) saying "oh those - see them everywhere" lol.

I like the cardinals, goldfinches, tree creepers and doves - not so much the damn hawk who nested in one of the trees in the back garden this winter and decimated several doves and sparrows. Grackles are a pain in the bum but amusing to watch, as are American robins.

On my other computer I've a lovely picture of a dove in the nest from a couple of years ago and several shots of baby robins - I'll have to dig them out.

:)

They were probably at Presqu'ile today with all the other twitchers.

BristolUK May 21st 2016 1:54 am

Ironic Canada geese... Presumably taken in the UK

A bit like that nice mature Canadian cheddar so readily available in the UK but unseen in Canada. :nod:

Credit google images. :o

Stinkypup May 21st 2016 2:06 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11953081)
A bit like that nice mature Canadian cheddar so readily available in the UK but unseen in Canada. :nod:

Credit google images. :o

You bugger!
I take it all back... You are known as UltraBristol from now on:lol:

Teaandtoday5 May 21st 2016 2:12 am

Live in forest but woefully ignorant. Love our hummingbirds, fearless chickadees and big (slow peck) and small (fast peck) woodpeckers. Find vultures and turkeys really thrilling and totally envy Stinky's 'obligatory' eagles. Loved the grey jays that ate off our hands in Algonquin, the blue jays anywhere, the robins I didn't realise were robins until a kindergartener explained and the colourful Orioles. Even love the geese and goslings who hold me up on the school run, and the noisy food-demanding mallards at our last rental house, who swam in the pool. Everything else I see is a mysterious, unknown bonus.

Inse May 21st 2016 2:55 am

All the birds you like, and maybe some you don't!
https://inse-photography.smugmug.com/All-the-Birds

Stinkypup May 21st 2016 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Inse (Post 11953103)
All the birds you like, and maybe some you don't!
https://inse-photography.smugmug.com/All-the-Birds

I thought that you might be tempted:lol
Great photos.. iPad mini?;)

Stinkypup May 21st 2016 5:59 am

3 Attachment(s)
A few more
Great horned owlet
North Murican Robin/thrushy type thing - yep-too dark on the left but I can't adjust and post- it will have to do;)
It might be.. an eagle....:o

Siouxie May 21st 2016 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11953167)
A few more
Great horned owlet
North Murican Robin/thrushy type thing - yep-too dark on the left but I can't adjust and post- it will have to do;)
It might be.. an eagle....:o

Goodnight Stinky :)

:lol:

(Great photos, by the way)

Shard May 21st 2016 9:05 am

The irony did not escape me...but it was the only bird photo I had on my iPad. And takes just this week. :)

Top quality bird pictures from yourself...are you a twitcher by any chance?

MillieF May 21st 2016 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11953035)
See a lot of seagulls, blue herons, cormorants and eagles. I get on better with them than the naffing seals, sea lions and orcas.

Oh heavens I'm so jealous Oink, I'd love to see the seals, the sea lions and the orcas!

But...:focus: I do see quite a few eagles, and cormorants. Sea gulls are the most magical of birds, their haunting cry brings memories of every wet seaside holiday
I've ever suffered! For some reason they frequent Walmart's car park here, and I often go there when it's closed just to listen to them.

plasticcanuck May 21st 2016 2:06 pm

This is an interesting little story about a hummingbird.

http://1funny.com/man-dog-hummingbird

Shard May 21st 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11953243)
Oh heavens I'm so jealous Oink, I'd love to see the seals, the sea lions and the orcas!

But...:focus: I do see quite a few eagles, and cormorants. Sea gulls are the most magical of birds, their haunting cry brings memories of every wet seaside holiday
I've ever suffered! For some reason they frequent Walmart's car park here, and I often go there when it's closed just to listen to them.

How long to drive to the sea from Fredericton?

Stinkypup May 21st 2016 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11953223)
The irony did not escape me...but it was the only bird photo I had on my iPad. And takes just this week. :)

Top quality bird pictures from yourself...are you a twitcher by any chance?

I kind of thought so :thumbup:
Thanks- no, not a twitcher but I can never get bored of watching them. Where we live, the eagles and ospreys are forever around- so majestic. We stood on our deck and four eagles were soaring overhead, chattering and calling. I love the seasonal changes of birds, you can virtually tell by what birds you see what month or two you are in. I'm kind of Jack of all trades photography wise, mainly wildlife and landscape but will turn my hand to most things aside from studio work and weddings... ie, anything except those fields that might actually earn some money! ... But I digress ..
That dog/ hummingbird story is very cute PC :thumbup: