Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Alberta seen Wolves and if so where?

Anyone in Alberta seen Wolves and if so where?

Old Dec 28th 2012, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of
Default Anyone in Alberta seen Wolves and if so where?

On my 'must see wildlife' list before we arrived were Eagles, Wolves and Bears. Well we've seen a Bald Eagle not far from Red Deer and it's the wrong time of year for the Bears but was wondering if anyone has seen Wolves and if so where abouts??
Old Dec 28th 2012, 2:59 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Alberta seen Wolves and if so where?

Yes, Banff National Park - have seen them a few times down by the golf course in Banff.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Saw wolves in Kootenay National Park.

Coyotes in the city occasionally. Deer walking down my street. Cougars in the provincial park a couple of blocks away and the neighbour.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 4:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=5ft+wolf
Old Dec 28th 2012, 4:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That one should be in Alberta by now.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 5:08 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I saw one that looked just like this one the other day. And it was at least 5 feet tall.

It must be a sign of the end of the world, or something.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

Originally Posted by shunter1977
On my 'must see wildlife' list before we arrived were Eagles, Wolves and Bears. Well we've seen a Bald Eagle not far from Red Deer and it's the wrong time of year for the Bears but was wondering if anyone has seen Wolves and if so where abouts??
Bow valley wolf pack. Probably the same ones that Piff Poff sees by the golf course. I've seen them off Hwy 1a, near the railway tracks.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:04 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Out West of Ponoka, out west of Sundre and out by Spirit river.

There is a shitty old highway that you can drive the back roads from Calgaryish (or Sundre i'll check) up to Rocky Mountain House. If you have a spare day and the snow doesn't fall - that might be your best bet to see some. It's also cougar country back there too.

I'll find a link and post the map

<snip - map didn't post> - google it basically you need to be west of Cowboy Trail.

Heres the hwy from Sundre to Rocky. You need to drive west of Sundre by about an hour and then take the secondry roads north. It's a hell of a drive in the winter and the roads are logging roads and crap - but you're guaranteed stunning views.

Last edited by mandymoochops; Dec 29th 2012 at 12:14 am.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We've seen one once at the entrance to Elbow Falls.

A couple of weeks ago I had a friend from England over and I took him just the two of us. The bit around the waterfall that you walk around was all sectioned off. We thought it was because it was slippery.... So we jumped over the chains.... Then we saw huge and I mean huge bear prints everywhere... So we took a couple of photos and went back to the car. I've never been before with no-one else there and it was pretty scary to be honest.

Around Bragg Creek you often see Coyotes -much much smaller than the wolf we saw. The wolf was a beautiful animal.

Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

We had a wolf in the field over the back of ours a few months ago. That was the consensus after describing it to a friend who owns a cattle farm near us. She said that there are a few around our area.

At night we can hear them howling in the distance toward the NW of us.

Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good spot.......

http://www.calgaryzoo.org/index.php?...2&animalID=147
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:44 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf

Having the URL right there in the post does somewhat undermine the element of surprise traditionally associated with a punch line/reveal. Still, this is a minor criticism of an otherwise excellent piece at work.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:41 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the Bow Valley/Banff wolves last summer walking up the road near Sunshine Village.

The first year we arrived, I think it was early fall, we saw two wolves crossing the road on the Kananaskis highway. This summer they had to shoot a young wolf up in Kananaskis as it was chasing young cyclists in the campsite or something.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Out West of Ponoka, out west of Sundre and out by Spirit river.

There is a shitty old highway that you can drive the back roads from Calgaryish (or Sundre i'll check) up to Rocky Mountain House. If you have a spare day and the snow doesn't fall - that might be your best bet to see some. It's also cougar country back there too.

I'll find a link and post the map

<snip - map didn't post> - google it basically you need to be west of Cowboy Trail.

Heres the hwy from Sundre to Rocky. You need to drive west of Sundre by about an hour and then take the secondry roads north. It's a hell of a drive in the winter and the roads are logging roads and crap - but you're guaranteed stunning views.
This is great thank you, we are heading out down the cowboy trail on Saturday for a wildlife/scenery drive. I'll try the shitty old highway you speak of A cougar would also be awesome although unlikely I think.

We've been through the mountains to Banff a couple of times now but we've only managed to see chipmunks and i've seen them in a pet shop back home .

Took a drive to Rocky Mountain and then headed north on the Cowboy Trail towards Drayton Valley last week but decided to head over to Medicine Lake for a detour, that was an interesting drive in the snow Only saw 2 more eagles (although snunning......they're not wolves)
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shunter1977
This is great thank you, we are heading out down the cowboy trail on Saturday for a wildlife/scenery drive. I'll try the shitty old highway you speak of A cougar would also be awesome although unlikely I think.

We've been through the mountains to Banff a couple of times now but we've only managed to see chipmunks and i've seen them in a pet shop back home .

Took a drive to Rocky Mountain and then headed north on the Cowboy Trail towards Drayton Valley last week but decided to head over to Medicine Lake for a detour, that was an interesting drive in the snow Only saw 2 more eagles (although snunning......they're not wolves)
There were cougar tracks last winter around our property, very close to the house, apparently it's been spotted a couple of times in the neighbouring field, so they are about and closer than you think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.