Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

any hunters on the forum

any hunters on the forum

Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any hunters on the forum

hunters are the touchy bunch, someone on here against hunting suggested hunting hunters.. normal response to a debate, to murder the opposition
Old Oct 31st 2013, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cjones
Obviously your stance makes it easier for you to justify your hobby to yourself, but do you honestly believe it makes any difference to the animals you kill whether they end up in your toilet bowl or on your wall?
Hmm we are going round in circles here, so I will answer your question if you answer mine...

No- obviously it doesn't make any difference, it is purely my ethical standing which differentiates the two.

So I ask you this- do you honestly believe it makes any difference to the animals whether they are killed though intensive farming practice, or from a hunters gun/bow/etc?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
So I ask you this- do you honestly believe it makes any difference to the animals whether they are killed though intensive farming practice, or from a hunters gun/bow/etc?
Is your use of "intensive" here a tacit admission that it's better for an animal to be raised on a traditional farm than to live in the wild and to be killed by a hunter?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
I hunt in the UK with air rifles and dogs, small game, rabbits, pigeon duck, and the odd pest control. was looking forward to going to Canada and step up to big game with the right help.

I hope most of the antis are british on this forum and generally hunting is accepted in Canada as an alternative to buying meat much like it is in Yorkshire. would be gutted if I went over there and everyone I met was anti hunting.
I've yet to meet someone here in the Okanagan that is against hunting. There are a handful of regular posters on here that are unhappy Brits that haven't embraced there chosen country. You can mention enjoying anything Canadian and they will shoot it down. Come out and you will see that hunting is a huge pastime and widely accepted throughout Canada and the USA.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
I've yet to meet someone here in the Okanagan that is against hunting. There are a handful of regular posters on here that are unhappy Brits that haven't embraced there chosen country. You can mention enjoying anything Canadian and they will shoot it down. Come out and you will see that hunting is a huge pastime and widely accepted throughout Canada and the USA.
If you have read anything on this thread, you will understand that most people are NOT agaisnt hunting at all. (You just want them to be, so you can get all evangelical about it.)

People ARE, however, against the unseemly and disrespectful revelry in the slaughter that many hunters seem to exhibit in their pastime.

You are not a "traditonal" hunter... you are a convert, a zealot, and nobody likes zealots telling them what they should do.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I have met a fair few Canadians who are anti hunting and i live in a hunting area.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If you have read anything on this thread, you will understand that most people are NOT agaisnt hunting at all. (You just want them to be, so you can get all evangelical about it.)

People ARE, however, against the unseemly and disrespectful revelry in the slaughter that many hunters seem to exhibit in their pastime.

You are not a "traditonal" hunter... you are a convert, a zealot, and nobody likes zealots telling them what they should do.
Step forward sample number 1 of an unhappy Brit in Canada. Next please!
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bats
Oh I have met a fair few Canadians who are anti hunting and i live in a hunting area.
More people than are not against it? And what area?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Step forward sample number 1 of an unhappy Brit in Canada. Next please!
Just ignoring my point then, I see.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Just ignoring my point then, I see.
You mean your pointless?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to meet someone here in the Okanagan that is against hunting.
Perhaps that's because your life is spent shuffling between taxidermists and monster truck rallies. BC has famously lax rules on medical procedures and that has made the province home to a wide range of holistic medical practitioners, ear candlers, aromatherapists and like new age quacks. I think we reasonably suppose that people who devote their days to psychic healing oppose hunting. That you haven't met any such people or, that they haven't told you they're not keen on those antlers mounted on the bonnet of your Ram, doesn't mean that they don't exist.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

More people than are not against it? And what area?
Don't know the ratio, i have never polled it. The two landowners i know don't allow hunting on their land. We're in the Kawarthas in Ontario.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is your use of "intensive" here a tacit admission that it's better for an animal to be raised on a traditional farm than to live in the wild and to be killed by a hunter?
Hmmm ok... more circles... I will answer your question if you answer mine... lets play fair people!

For your question - No, I am not saying that. My point is, intensive farming produces the majority of meat in the western world. Traditional farming may be more humane to the animals than intensive methods, but is unsustainable on the world stage, so this is a moot point.

Can I speak for the animals? Obviously not - but if you were to ask me whether I would prefer to be brought in prison, on death-row by someone who wanted to fatten me up, and in doing so, maximise profits from my demise, or live freely out in the wild, with a fighting chance of survival, then I would choose the latter.

So I ask you this- do you honestly believe it makes any difference to the animals whether they are killed though intensive (or indeed traditional) farming practice, or from a hunters gun/bow/etc?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:42 pm
Lowering the tone

You mean your pointless?
Well, so is your point (less). You say that hunting is widely practiced and accepted. Erm, yes, we know that. Most people, myself included, are OK with that, as you have been told many times.

Apparently though, you can't accept that some people are perfectly entitled to hold an opinion which you once did. Why can't you just accept that?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
Hmmm ok... more circles... I will answer your question if you answer mine... lets play fair people!

For your question - No, I am not saying that. My point is, intensive farming produces the majority of meat in the western world. Traditional farming may be more humane to the animals than intensive methods, but is unsustainable on the world stage, so this is a moot point.

Can I speak for the animals? Obviously not - but if you were to ask me whether I would prefer to be brought in prison, on death-row by someone who wanted to fatten me up, and in doing so, maximise profits from my demise, or live freely out in the wild, with a fighting chance of survival, then I would choose the latter.

So I ask you this- do you honestly believe it makes any difference to the animals whether they are killed though intensive (or indeed traditional) farming practice, or from a hunters gun/bow/etc?
Good luck - if they answer then they have lost the argument hence the politicians answers you keep getting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.