Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

any hunters on the forum

any hunters on the forum

Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any hunters on the forum

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Why should they?

It's an open forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of whether it happens to co-incide with yours.

Out of interest, did you go fox hunting when you lived in the UK? You have only been in Canada for around 6 months yet seem to be an authority on hunting, so I am curious as to whether you did it in the UK as well.
Please explain how I appear to be an authority on hunting,I have never proclaimed to be an authority on hunting,and am new to it,previous to coming to Canada I had not fired a rifle since my military days.

No I never went fox hunting in the UK,thats something the english done,nothing like hunting over here at all!

I have actually been in Canada for 7 months now,and have given the missus,and my 8 year old daughter some shooting lessons with my Soviet SKS,both thoroughly enjoyed the experience,and are looking forward to trying venison,and moose this year.

What I have not done however is come to Canada and start telling people that hunting is bad/wrong and that they are evil killers etc.. I at least got in touch with people,learned about the wildlife,done a hunters education course,and will be with a group of very experienced hunters that I will be learning with,rather than trying to judge people,and giving out dumb opinions!
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
What I have not done however is come to Canada and start telling people that hunting is bad/wrong and that they are evil killers etc..
Pah! So you've left all the hard work to the rest of us.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Pah! So you've left all the hard work to the rest of us.
Talking of which, I think I may, just this afternoon, have figured out what dark energy is. With a slightly more speculative extension, it may also explain dark matter.

Just saying.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 2:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
Please explain how I appear to be an authority on hunting,I have never proclaimed to be an authority on hunting,and am new to it,previous to coming to Canada I had not fired a rifle since my military days.

No I never went fox hunting in the UK,thats something the english done,nothing like hunting over here at all!

I have actually been in Canada for 7 months now,and have given the missus,and my 8 year old daughter some shooting lessons with my Soviet SKS,both thoroughly enjoyed the experience,and are looking forward to trying venison,and moose this year.

What I have not done however is come to Canada and start telling people that hunting is bad/wrong and that they are evil killers etc.. I at least got in touch with people,learned about the wildlife,done a hunters education course,and will be with a group of very experienced hunters that I will be learning with,rather than trying to judge people,and giving out dumb opinions!
Perhaps 'authority' was the wrong word - I meant that you appear to be very 'in to' hunting.

No, instead you have come to Canada and told people who disagree with your beliefs on hunting that they are dumb. Nobody has called you names (certainly not me) so I fail to understand why you feel the need to.

As you haven't actually hunted yet, I will be interested to hear if you feel the same way once you have actually killed/wounded and dressed an animal.

Are you considering getting a special youth licence for your daughter?

"... The applicant must be at least 12 years old. If they are younger than 12, they may obtain a minor's licence only if they are Canadian residents and their Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) determines they need to hunt or trap to sustain themselves or their family... "

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...mineur-eng.htm
Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cjones
Where did I say that?... I just noted that you seem to consider that hunting for the table is somehow more defensible that just shooting stuff for a bit of a laugh or to hang bits of it on the wall. Whereas to the animal concerned, your moral code is of no consequence what so ever.

The hunters on these threads seem to be quite a touchy bunch on the whole, possibly not the kind of folks to be walking around with loaded weapons?
Perhaps I misread your message - this highlights the dangers of "arguing on the internet!"

Yes - I do believe that hunting for the table is more defensible than shooting for just the sport of it; indeed I am quite vocally against the latter.

What I fail to understand is how people who hunt for food are branded as evil, while farmers who kill for profit are seemed as a necessity. Yes, some people live next door to wonderful free range farms where the animals all trot around with big fat grins on their big fat faces, but these farms are in a minority, only catering for those who can afford the higher premiums.

Again - look up "Canadian poultry" and "wood chippers" and you will find that the two have a very close, and rather dark relationship.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:03 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
Perhaps I misread your message - this highlights the dangers of "arguing on the internet!"

Yes - I do believe that hunting for the table is more defensible than shooting for just the sport of it; indeed I am quite vocally against the latter.

What I fail to understand is how people who hunt for food are branded as evil, while farmers who kill for profit are seemed as a necessity. Yes, some people live next door to wonderful free range farms where the animals all trot around with big fat grins on their big fat faces, but these farms are in a minority, only catering for those who can afford the higher premiums.

Again - look up "Canadian poultry" and "wood chippers" and you will find that the two have a very close, and rather dark relationship.
Obviously your stance makes it easier for you to justify your hobby to yourself, but do you honestly believe it makes any difference to the animals you kill whether they end up in your toilet bowl or on your wall?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 7:57 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Talking of which, I think I may, just this afternoon, have figured out what dark energy is. With a slightly more speculative extension, it may also explain dark matter.

Just saying.
Will you be shedding some light on this for the rest of us ?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

I hunt in the UK with air rifles and dogs, small game, rabbits, pigeon duck, and the odd pest control. was looking forward to going to Canada and step up to big game with the right help.

I hope most of the antis are british on this forum and generally hunting is accepted in Canada as an alternative to buying meat much like it is in Yorkshire. would be gutted if I went over there and everyone I met was anti hunting.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
I hope most of the antis are british on this forum and generally hunting is accepted in Canada as an alternative to buying meat much like it is in Yorkshire. would be gutted if I went over there and everyone I met was anti hunting.
It'll depend where you go. In southern Ontario there's quite strong support for hunting in what they call the 905; the belt of suburbs, neglible support in town and very mixed opinions in the country. What people think is shaped by their country of origin (there aren't enough cradles here for them to count), lots Europeans are keen on shooting birds and small game and there's lot of support for ritual slaughter, especially of goats, among Asians.

In the country people have a fairly robust attitude towards animals, it's not that they care to conserve them but they also have a robust attitude toward outsiders coming and shooting horses and cows. Hunters are thought of as being foreign and not very bright (a characterisation I think is broadly fair though rather kind to them).
Old Oct 31st 2013, 11:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
I found some discussion of this issue (http://www.upc-online.org/slaughter/...oodchipper.htm).

The short of the ethical debate seems to be that while the method isn't bad from the chickens' perspective it's arguably dehumanising for the people killing the chickens and anyone watching. I think this is exactly the concern regarding jossie's children and the corpses.

What I haven't seen is a suggestion as to a better method for dispatching a tractor bucket full of chicks. Could they perhaps be killed by people who would otherwise be blasting wildfowl?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

It'll depend where you go. In southern Ontario there's quite strong support for hunting in what they call the 905
Hopefully I will be heading to Calgary, shame the debate on hunting always turns into tit for tat bickering.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:02 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
There's a game banquet here every year and you get to try everything and almost everyone I spoke to at the banquet liked the mountain lion meat the best. Not what you would expect! We get quite a few grouse out here but I've never had pigeon - what's it like?
I like pigeon very much, it's like chicken with flavour. Actually, I really do like almost all small game, but I don't like it when it's been allowed to become overly gamey.

I would rather eat small game than farmed beef, and it's probably better for the environment too.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Rabbit and pigeon pie is nice. I used to roast some of the birds we used for retriever training and if you can get the squabs that can't fly they're more tender.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

no pheasant in Canada? surprise the Scottish didn't introduce them when they settled,

rabbit and ale pie lush

Tell a lie common pheasant and red pheasant ,

Last edited by wardy_1990; Oct 31st 2013 at 1:43 pm. Reason: google
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice

Originally Posted by cjones
Where did I say that?... I just noted that you seem to consider that hunting for the table is somehow more defensible that just shooting stuff for a bit of a laugh or to hang bits of it on the wall. Whereas to the animal concerned, your moral code is of no consequence what so ever.

The hunters on these threads seem to be quite a touchy bunch on the whole, possibly not the kind of folks to be walking around with loaded weapons?
I agree. They do seem to be a very touchy bunch. One of them was negative about vegetarians. Perhaps they were force-fed by a vegetarian while still in nappies and they have harboured that resentment into adulthood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.