Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

any hunters on the forum

any hunters on the forum

Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any hunters on the forum

Originally Posted by jossie
Have you tried any game meats? If so what's your favorite?
I have tried game in the distant past, but found I disliked new meats. In an ideal world, I think we should reduce meat consumption in both range and quantity, at least until lab-grown meat becomes commonplace. It's my personal view, and I completely understand that many others are perfectly happy with farmed or hunted animal meat.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

A little bit harsh, are you having a bad day or something? I don't think his posts profess to be an authority on hunting. Just an expat excited at embracing part of the Canadian culture.
How was my comment harsh? It was a genuine comment and question. I would ask you the same question, if you would care to answer it.

It's not part of the culture for the majority of Canadians! Just for the record, I am not anti-hunting, I am anti-sport hunting; if you live in Nunavut or somewhere similar and it's your sole resource for food then I don't have a problem with it.

As I said, it's an open forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of whether it happens to co-incide with yours.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 30th 2013 at 10:53 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I like game. Duck, pheasant, rabbit, pigeon... venison not so much, but it's alright. I confess to never having eaten lion, but if it was put in front of me, I'd eat it.
There's a game banquet here every year and you get to try everything and almost everyone I spoke to at the banquet liked the mountain lion meat the best. Not what you would expect! We get quite a few grouse out here but I've never had pigeon - what's it like?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:05 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, they can't help themselves. As my Canadian friends would say, I sure would like to take some of them hunting!
Interesting..... I always wanted to hunt a hunter.... sort of an even playing field

I've had to settle for paint balls in the past, or belt tags..

I'm sure live amunition would really raise the adrenaline levels
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Interesting..... I always wanted to hunt a hunter.... sort of an even playing field

I've had to settle for paint balls in the past, or belt tags..

I'm sure live amunition would really raise the adrenaline levels
That's a strange fetish you have there?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I have tried game in the distant past, but found I disliked new meats. In an ideal world, I think we should reduce meat consumption in both range and quantity, at least until lab-grown meat becomes commonplace. It's my personal view, and I completely understand that many others are perfectly happy with farmed or hunted animal meat.
And what sounds like science-fiction now may be reality in x number of generations. Sigh. Oh, how I miss nostalgia.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:29 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not realy... I like to pick on those that pick on the weak

Kind'a allows you to take off the kid gloves and indugle
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:44 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Sound reasonable, as long as he chucks the head away and eats some of the rest of the meat. Tastes like pork, only different apparently. Could almost be lion.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

As I recall, in the Bomba The Jungle Boy book when he was on the run and killed the leopard (or whatever cat), he couldn't eat it, and deemed it of no nutritiuinal value. Until googling cougar recipes I didn't know people ate them.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cjones
Why? The fact that it's either eaten of hung on a wall is of no concern to the dead animal. Isn't your stand just more a case of you justifying to yourself why you cut it's life short?
I eat meat, I like eating meat, and I think that it is important to know where meat comes from. It seems strange to me that you are willing to voice your opinion so openly about my hunting exploits (so far one duck hunt), basically branding me as some sick killer, but not agreeing that wild game often lives a better life than farmed animals...
Old Oct 31st 2013, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Not realy... I like to pick on those that pick on the weak

Kind'a allows you to take off the kid gloves and indugle
Let me guess, you are a hero, sent to save all the animals. Easy to say sat behind a keyboard with an online persona.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 12:14 am
Stand-up Philosopher

When my great-uncle Roman was 14 in 1931 he was a cook in a lumber camp in Siberia and his job included finding the food to cook. He had a bad patch when he could find no meat for several weeks, then one day he shot a fox. He made a stew with whateverd they had and the meat from the fox, and all the crew ate it up heartily. When they asked what it was and he said it was a fox they challenged him. He opened the door to his room beside the dining hall and showed the fur stretched out on the wall and some of the men wwere sick to their stomachs. That is only the begining to Great-Uncle Roman's story.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 12:15 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst understanding that people have different opinions and that this subject is likely to have some reactive responses, could I just remind everyone of site rule 1 please?

1. Personal Attacks
BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.

Keep it friendly... thanks.

Old Oct 31st 2013, 12:31 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
I eat meat, I like eating meat, and I think that it is important to know where meat comes from. It seems strange to me that you are willing to voice your opinion so openly about my hunting exploits (so far one duck hunt), basically branding me as some sick killer, but not agreeing that wild game often lives a better life than farmed animals...
Where did I say that?... I just noted that you seem to consider that hunting for the table is somehow more defensible that just shooting stuff for a bit of a laugh or to hang bits of it on the wall. Whereas to the animal concerned, your moral code is of no consequence what so ever.

The hunters on these threads seem to be quite a touchy bunch on the whole, possibly not the kind of folks to be walking around with loaded weapons?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
wild game often lives a better life than farmed animals...
I don't see how this can be true. Farmed animals, especially chickens, are often treated badly but some are not; the neighbour's cows, for example, wander among the trees, treking in only to be fed. They're protected from predators and have no worries until they're hauled off to a slaughterhouse configured specifically to save them from distress. On the other hand, this evening we came across two deer on the road; they're constant at risk from cars, coyotes and hunters, if they're not running in fear they're foraging for food, the supply of which is limited and unreliable.

Unless we anthropomorphise philosophical predalictions into the animals "Live Free or Die", I think we're bound to conclude that the animals of the kindly farmer have the best life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.