Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

any hunters on the forum

any hunters on the forum

Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: any hunters on the forum

Originally Posted by allegra
What choice does the lion have? It can hardly pop down to WalMart for a week's shopping.
Edit- just saw your first message. Will respond when home

Last edited by CKMaddAll; Oct 30th 2013 at 6:40 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What choice does the lion have? It can hardly pop down to WalMart for a week's shopping.
That's because he's paw and its too deer.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the duck or chicken would respond that there isn't much difference between being shot while alive or crushed while alive. Death is death whether it be by either of these inaccepable methods.

Not "my" bobotie but a delicious bobotie prepared by a very good SA cook some years ago long before I became a vegetarian.

And if animals aren't innocent then what are they?
You can't see the difference between living a natural healthy life in the wild and living a squalid life cooped up in a pen sitting in your own excrement each day because there is no space to move? Yes the end result is death but quality of life does matter.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
Can't be many what? I don't understand your message... What was raised for plant food?
There can't be many ducks, or animals in general, killed instantly by hunters. Mostly they're damaged rather than killed.

You suggested that chickens were both raised for food and crushed up and spread over fields. That can only be so if they're plant food, if they were human food there wouldn't be much point in grinding them up and spreading them over fields as they'd have to be picked up again in order to smush them into nuggets.

If hunting for food is cruel then a lion eating an impala is cruel... Should this be stopped? Indeed without hunting, early man would never have survived... I suppose without man there would never be such a thing as a vegetarian, so it wouldn't all be bad!
Ask yourself, are you a lion? Look and see if you have a shaggy mane. If so, go for them impalas.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

"Always aiming to leave the landscape as found.." ?

Hardly "as found" after innocent animals, gracing that landscape, have been killed.
Animals do not understand the concept of "innocent" - it helps nobody's argument to anthropomorphize wildlife with human values and emotions.

And that leads us naturally back to the differences between hunting for food and farming for food. Which animal has a better life? The wild duck who is shot and killed instantly, or the factory chickens who are packed together for their entire lives and when no longer required, are thrown in to an industrial grinder (alive) and spread over farmers fields.

I look forward to your response...

*edit* I assume you only use free range, organic and most importantly... "guilty" meat in your Bobotie? Ony a hunter would shoot the "innocent" animals!
Carnivores and omnivores kill other animals for food. Humans, being omnivores, kill other animals for food. Tens of thousands of years ago this involved hunting with sharp sticks and flint spearheads. More recently, the domestication of livestock removed the need to hunt for survival, and is generally considered to have been a civilizing influence. More recently still, intensive farming methods have made the raising of livestock a more questionable practice in the eyes of many consumers.

Where do you get the thing about chickens being kept alive only to be used for fertilizer? No chicken farmer would waste money feeding up animals until "no longer required" only to grind them up for spreading on a field. Male chicks a couple of days old, perhaps - but then "packed together for their entire lives" seems a little disingenuous.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Carnivores and omnivores kill other animals for food. Humans, being omnivores, kill other animals for food. Tens of thousands of years ago this involved hunting with sharp sticks and flint spearheads. More recently, the domestication of livestock removed the need to hunt for survival, and is generally considered to have been a civilizing influence. More recently still, intensive farming methods have made the raising of livestock a more questionable practice in the eyes of many consumers.
So, are those humans that, in certain regions of the world, still hunt for food uncivilized; are those that obtain their meat from Walmart civilized?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:16 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So, are those humans that, in certain regions of the world, still hunt for food uncivilized; are those that obtain their meat from Walmart civilized?
No, that's not what I said. Domesticating livestock was, in terms of human history, a civilizing influence - that is, I believe, part of a reasonable definition of civilization. Hunting is not, per se, uncivilized. Nor, in most of the Western world including Canada, is it necessary.

Wal-mart is a fine example of what I meant by "more questionable practice." Driving everything to the lowest cost regardless of the ethics is, while the ultimate in civilization, not necessarily ethical or morally acceptable. I choose not to shop for groceries in Wal-mart, but I have the luxury of being able to make that choice, and I appreciate there are those who do not.

Likewise I do not hunt, not from any moral or ethical objection to the eating of wild game, more because I find the glorification of the kill somewhat distasteful. My general philosophy is that I will only eat that which I would, in extremis, be prepared to kill and cook myself. It hasn't stopped me from eating anything yet, though I'm not sure I would relish a mountain lion steak. I am not a good butcher - last time I dealt with a sheep carcass (some 25 years ago now) I made a bit of a mess of it. I consider it rather more respectful to the animal to have it prepared by somebody who knows what they're doing, if that option is available.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If chickens are ground up and used as fertilizer that must mean something's gone wrong and they spoiled. I think normally even the old laying hens become canned chicken soup or pet food. The Hutterites get good money even for those birds. The way they 'battery raise' some chickens and eggs isn't very pretty. It's true that animals do get wounded and lost by hunters. I've probably lost 3 or 4 deer out of 40 or 50 that I've shot over the last 43 years, and I couldn't even guess at the numbers of ducks, but when I got hunting with a good dog it was a sea change, and almost all ducks were recovered. I don't know if I'd ever want to hunt ducks without a dog again.
In response to Oakvillan, if you've bought a rib roast and cut it into steaks, being your own butcher is just an extension of that. Having someone show you or a short course like our community college offers is usually all it takes.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:30 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
In response to Oakvillan, if you've bought a rib roast and cut it into steaks, being your own butcher is just an extension of that. Having someone show you or a short course like our community college offers is usually all it takes.
I'm not so sure butchering can be learned by everybody. Someone from Smithfield Market was on the radio the other night, and he said he only managed six years at the butchering before it got too much for him. Obviously there are career butchers, but they are a minority of the population. There something quite macabre about it IMO.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be many what? I don't understand your message... What was raised for plant food?

If hunting for food is cruel then a lion eating an impala is cruel... Should this be stopped? Indeed without hunting, early man would never have survived... I suppose without man there would never be such a thing as a vegetarian, so it wouldn't all be bad!
I read somewhere that early man was very poorly equipped for hunting, and probably survived mainly by gathering plants and carrion.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I'm not so sure butchering can be learned by everybody. Someone from Smithfield Market was on the radio the other night, and he said he only managed six years at the butchering before it got too much for him. Obviously there are career butchers, but they are a minority of the population. There something quite macabre about it IMO.
And yet butchers are jolly, it's your fishmongers who are miserable buggers (actual fishmongers, obviously men with jellied eel carts are a happy bunch).
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I meant butchering your own game or a farm-gate lamb or sheep. If I had to do it day in day out standing at a cutting table I doubt I could last as long.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I read somewhere that early man was very poorly equipped for hunting, and probably survived mainly by gathering plants and carrion.
That's believed to be true for very early humans (like the chap in my avatar) but stone tools were developed about 2 million years ago for the purpose of hunting. And consumption of meat was essential to human brain growth and our evolution to homo sapiens.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
No, that's not what I said. Domesticating livestock was, in terms of human history, a civilizing influence - that is, I believe, part of a reasonable definition of civilization. Hunting is not, per se, uncivilized. Nor, in most of the Western world including Canada, is it necessary.

Wal-mart is a fine example of what I meant by "more questionable practice." Driving everything to the lowest cost regardless of the ethics is, while the ultimate in civilization, not necessarily ethical or morally acceptable. I choose not to shop for groceries in Wal-mart, but I have the luxury of being able to make that choice, and I appreciate there are those who do not.

Likewise I do not hunt, not from any moral or ethical objection to the eating of wild game, more because I find the glorification of the kill somewhat distasteful. My general philosophy is that I will only eat that which I would, in extremis, be prepared to kill and cook myself. It hasn't stopped me from eating anything yet, though I'm not sure I would relish a mountain lion steak. I am not a good butcher - last time I dealt with a sheep carcass (some 25 years ago now) I made a bit of a mess of it. I consider it rather more respectful to the animal to have it prepared by somebody who knows what they're doing, if that option is available.
I was pulling your leg.

I accept that many posters on this board view hunting as the domain of uncivilised humans, particularly if they take photographs of their kill.

I don't hunt. I know many that do. Some of them take pictures; some don't.

I have no objection to people hunting if they wish to do so for meat.

I object to those that wish to hunt purely for the trophy (whether that be a picture or something they can mount on a wall.)

I have no objection to those that hunt for the meat and then choose to take a picture. Just as some posters on here would view a picture of a family enjoying Disneyworld as distasteful, while others would not. I believe that calling them names is unlikely to change their view.

Each to their own

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Oct 30th 2013 at 7:59 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's believed to be true for very early humans (like the chap in my avatar) but stone tools were developed about 2 million years ago for the purpose of hunting. And consumption of meat was essential to human brain growth and our evolution to homo sapiens.
I had not heard about the meat/brain growth connection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.