Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another victim of the system or is he?

Another victim of the system or is he?

Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:46 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another victim of the system or is he?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Van Heest, 59, was first ordered deported in January 2008 after he was found inadmissible to Canada because of a 2001 conviction for assault with a weapon.
According to court documents, Van Heest was convicted of more than 40 criminal charges between 1976 and 2013.
Like so many I'm a potential immigrant living in the country on PR status and I have a little card to demonstrate the fact and it took a lot of effort to get it.

Whenever I do anything, from accessing my bank account, renewing my drivers licence to scratching my bum, there's always the question... 'Need to see your ID please!' or 'What is your status in canada?'

So what kind of status did the man have in 1976, some 40 years ago when he would have been a young man?.... and throughout the years during his many encounters with the law, why was his status never an issue.. especially in 2001?

Apparently if you walk like a canadian, talk like a canadian and behave like a canadian then the average RCMP will think you're a canadian and forget the onerous task of doing his job of being a law officer.

In my opinion, his deportation is better late than never. The next crime he committed might have been against me and on admittance to hospital as I lay in a coma the first question would have been 'Need to see his ID?'
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

If he isn't a PR, what has been his status in Canada all these years?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

On a slightly different angle....

He's not a citizen, nor a PR. Does this never come up in any of all his life events?

Original application for a SIN? I remember the rigmarole I had to go through prior to getting PR status. CRA needed a tax return for me to continue paying child benefits to my wife but they needed a SIN, which entailed me applying for one solely so they could refuse it as I was not yet a PR and "had no need of one" and only then CRA could give me a temporary one to reinstate the child benefit.

I never applied for a driving licence but it seemed to be the same requirements for Provincial ID. I needed to prove my ID. I had my passport and utility bills to confirm my address, but then I had that when I couldn't access other stuff until PR. So I got my provincial ID when I got PR.

Do they refuse ID card but make an exception and give a driving licence if you're not PR?

Presumably he had medical treatment for his diagnosis? What about his Medicare application? I remember being under the impression that actual or practical residency was good enough for coverage, but NB medicare insisted I had to wait until PR which, thanks to CIC errors, took over two years of actual residency in NB.

What about all those offences? I assume the police (and the courts?) want ID. What does he have that demonstrates the right to live in Canada?

Perhaps at some stage he (or parents for him) obtained a Canadian Birth Certificate. I have one myself (Quebec marriage people told me to get one when I married in Quebec ) but I needed documentation to get one. What did he (or parents) provide?

Employment? The subject never came up? EI? Social assistance?

What was it that prompted the deportation action and whatever it was, why was it not prompted earlier.

Every time he came across an employer or some other form of officialdom it was always assumed he was a citizen or PR despite the absence of any document to say so?

Was a birth cert (detailing birth outside Canada) always considered acceptable and nobody wondered if there should be a further document?

He can't really have lived off grid all this time, can he? With all that legal and medical involvement?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If he isn't a PR, what has been his status in Canada all these years?
Ah...the short version of what I just said.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

looks like he is sorted for now

Dutchman deported from Canada taken in by Salvation Army, cousin | NL Times
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Given that he is a 'criminal', that he may find his way around certain things
He may. Just as any Dutch national who hasn't lived in Canada almost all his life could.

Is the UK in the Schengen?
No. But there is sharing of information between UK immigration and the SIS.

In most of the cases of EU criminals in the UK, it's usually because the information hasn't been entered on the SIS database.

Back on soil in the Netherlands as a criminal, would he be allowed to have a Dutch passport?
Asa long as he has a Dutch birth certificate, I don't see how he could be refused a Dutch passport.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Mar 7th 2017 at 4:17 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
No. But there is sharing of information between UK immigration and the SIS.

In most of the cases of EU criminals in the UK, it's usually because the information hasn't been entered on the SIS database.
Yet another "perk", along with access to European Arrest Warrants, which the frothing eurosceptics will throw out with the bathwater.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dave_j
...PR status and I have a little card to demonstrate the fact and it took a lot of effort to get it.

Whenever I do anything, from accessing my bank account, renewing my drivers licence to scratching my bum, there's always the question... 'Need to see your ID please!' or 'What is your status in canada?'...
I didn't see this before mine. I can't be that slow at typing

(this is where that old feature about a new post was handy )
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Perhaps at some stage he (or parents for him) obtained a Canadian Birth Certificate. I have one myself (Quebec marriage people told me to get one when I married in Quebec ) but I needed documentation to get one. What did he (or parents) provide?
If he was born in NL how could he get a Canadian birth certificate?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
If he was born in NL how could he get a Canadian birth certificate?
I have one from Quebec as well as my original from England.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Does your Quebec birth certificate state place of birth as England UK?

In having a Quebec birth certificate, does this 'automatically' make you a citizen of Quebec & Canada?

Was one of your parents Canadian?

edit:

Likely covered in the following?

http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/insertion-act.html

Bristol, maybe you are already a Canadian citizen by having that 'provincial birth certificate' eh!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passpor...ship-proof.asp

Last edited by not2old; Mar 7th 2017 at 6:07 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Wow..never heard of that.

I know that my brother got married in the UK and his wife was from the UK. When they got married she changed her surname. A few months later she moved to Quebec where my brother was living at the time.

When she went to apply for drivers licence, health card etc they wouldn't accept the documents to be issued under her new surname. It had to be issued in her original surname. This exasperated her a lot as the original surname was that of her father who she didn't have much to do with.

Needless to say all documents requiring a signature she signed with the new surname which didn't look anything like the printed surname on the document.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:30 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by not2old
Does your Quebec birth certificate state place of birth as England UK?
Yes.

In having a Quebec birth certificate, does this 'automatically' make you a citizen of Quebec & Canada?
No

Was one of your parents Canadian?
No

The certificate is the same as those of the rest of the family. Probably to an official of the department issuing them, they could see a difference but to anyone else, likely not.

So if the Dutchman got one similarly, it may be that people just took it at face value. But you'd think someone somewhere saw The Netherlands and thought "hey, that's not Canada, what's your status?"

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Wow..never heard of that.

I know that my brother got married in the UK and his wife was from the UK. When they got married she changed her surname. A few months later she moved to Quebec where my brother was living at the time.

When she went to apply for drivers licence, health card etc they wouldn't accept the documents to be issued under her new surname. It had to be issued in her original surname. ...
Funny lot in Quebec
We had some puzzled looks after moving to NB, explaining to people that we were married but with different surnames as Quebec insisted upon it.
Mind you, funny lot in NB too. My stepson doesn't want to be associated with his father either but shares his name. To change it he has to have reasons accepted and have the new name 'approved'
Or at least that's how it was when I last checked.

It was the people doing the marriage licence stuff in Quebec that told me to get a Quebec birth cert. It really sounded like it was required but I'm not convinced they didn't just mean easier. It was only $15 or $20 and the idea rather amused me so I got one.

But the folk in the office issuing it didn't seem to agree it was correct.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:16 am
Just Joined

FishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond reputeFishAndChips00 has a reputation beyond repute

The responses here suggesting that the chap had no status in Canada may be a bit premature.

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe he is (or was) a PR. He had his PR status taken away because he was sentenced to more than six months.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:16 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by FishAndChips00
The responses here suggesting that the chap had no status in Canada may be a bit premature.

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe he is (or was) a PR. He had his PR status taken away because he was sentenced to more than six months.
Well, that would explain a lot and it may be that in view of previous cases in the news, both in Canada and the UK, where long time residents lose status on some technicality/failing to apply for something when they could have, we have made some erroneous assumptions.

But the article linked does say "He was denied permanent Canadian residency because of his criminal record" which suggests not granted it to begin with rather than lost it.

Perhaps another report was more specific?

I notice, also, that near the end of the report it says "Van Heest's lawyer, Robin Bajer, said he is appealing to have Van Heest granted permanent residence status on compassionate grounds" rather than reinstatement.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 8th 2017 at 12:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.