Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another victim of the system or is he?

Another victim of the system or is he?

Old Mar 7th 2017, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another victim of the system or is he?

A headline story from CBC BC
'I have no idea what I'm going to do': Courtenay B.C. man deported to the Netherlands.

So you click on the story and begin reading itA Courtenay B.C. man — who has lived in Canada for all but a few months of his life — was deported to the Netherlands on Monday.
Len Van Heest moved to Canada with his parents when he was a baby of eight months, but due to an oversight did not become a citizen.

1. Locate Kleenex box.

After nearly 60 years in Canada, B.C. man faces deportation to the Netherlands.

2. Grab tissue from box.

They're sending me to a foreign country, they're taking my mom away from me, all my friends. I'm devastated," he said.

3. Start dabbing away the tears.

Van Heest, 59, was first ordered deported in January 2008 after he was found inadmissible to Canada because of a 2001 conviction for assault with a weapon.
According to court documents, Van Heest was convicted of more than 40 criminal charges between 1976 and 2013.

Woah hang on all is not what it appears to be.

After years of delays, Van Heest's latest motion to stay in Vancouver was denied last Thursday. He has applied for permanent residence status based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

Now before anyone starts accusing me of not being sympathetic Im afraid sympathy doesn't override the law.

So what can we learn from this?

If you have emigrated to Canada with small children then at the 1st earliest opportunity apply to get them Canadian citizenship be a responsible parent.
If you are from a country that doesn't allow dual citizenship then you have a dilemma as this could happen to one of your kids 30 years down the road.

Oh but my kids aren't like that some will say. Well I bet his parents probably said the same about him. We have no idea what our kids will turn out to be.

Now you can take this thread as a bit of good advice or simply ignore it. If Im still around in 20 odd years I just might resurrect this thread if one of your kids is now being deported and posting on here for help or advice.

'I have no idea what I'm going to do': Courtenay B.C. man deported to the Netherlands - British Columbia - CBC News

BTW this happens more and more but most cases are not reported by the media.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another victim of the system or is he?

Another lesson, don't be a criminal.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So you click on the story and begin reading itA Courtenay B.C. man — who has lived in Canada for all but a few months of his life — was deported to the Netherlands on Monday.
Len Van Heest moved to Canada with his parents when he was a baby of eight months, but due to an oversight did not become a citizen.
I'm sorry but what kind of oversight doesn't get fixed after almost 60 years. I suspect the oversight is that his family didn't bother for him to become a Canadian citizen. If his parents came from the Netherlands I find it hard to believe that he can't speak any of the language and from the times I've been to the Netherlands almost everybody can speak flawless english.

As per the CBC Article.

Van Heest, 59, was first ordered deported in January 2008 after he was found inadmissible to Canada because of a 2001 conviction for assault with a weapon.

According to court documents, Van Heest was convicted of more than 40 criminal charges between 1976 and 2013.

I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

Lesson learnt. If you want to stay in Canada and commit crimes and came here as a child get your parents to get citizenship.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that there is a problem with a policy of deporting long term residents who commit crimes. It might well be the case that the person is being deported to a place where they don't speak the language and that helps no one. It seems to me that there should be a convention whereby after some number of years the person becomes the problem of the country where they've been raised and gone bad, regardless of their citizenship.

That said, my heart's not bleeding for the Dutchman.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:11 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

They saying they going to try to get him PR. So I wonder what they will do about his lengthy criminal record? Maybe he will be pardoned ?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

FL, your OP had me rolling on the floor & as a Canadian citizen I totally agree that the foreigner was deported, should have been 20 years earlier.

"Van Heest, 59, was first ordered deported in January 2008 after he was found inadmissible to Canada because of a 2001 conviction for assault with a weapon.
According to court documents, Van Heest was convicted of more than 40 criminal charges between 1976 and 2013"

I have zero sympathy for anyone that isn't a Canadian citizen, that breaks the law then gets deported

That man (many others like him/her) is/was a danger to society to all of the law abiding folks that live in my country, he breaks the law, then he gets deported & wants our sympathy.... thank you to the 'law enforcement people, the RCMP, CBSA, justice dept & everyone else involved

Sorted

Last edited by not2old; Mar 7th 2017 at 2:36 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I read the article today and seems he suffers from bipolar and most of his criminal activity seems to stem from that.

When in a manic state a bipolar may not be aware of their behavior and actions and not capable of rational decisions.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So what can we learn from this?
If you have emigrated to Canada with small children then at the 1st earliest opportunity apply to get them Canadian citizenship be a responsible parent.
If you are from a country that doesn't allow dual citizenship then you have a dilemma as this could happen to one of your kids 30 years down the road.
BTW this happens more and more but most cases are not reported by the media.
Good advice. Maybe most cases aren't reported because they aren't considered newsworthy enough; either the deportee isn't evil or saintly enough to arouse interest.
Edit: After reading Jsmith's post I'll have to watch and see what happens, but can't see his previous convictions being disregarded if his mental state didn't prevent him from being convicted at trial.

Last edited by caretaker; Mar 7th 2017 at 2:45 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I read the article today and seems he suffers from bipolar and most of his criminal activity seems to stem from that.

When in a manic state a bipolar may not be aware of their behavior and actions and not capable of rational decisions.
The story has been updated since I originally posted. The article mentioned nothing about him being bipolar nor the fact that he served 9 months in prison at the time of posting.
From the age of 18 I would question was he bipolar before and does being bipolar stop you from querying if you are a Canadian citizen and applying for it?
I have no idea but again whatever excuse or his condition is now being reported still doesn't override the law.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

The Elizabeth May comment in that article totally 'pi$$ed me off'

I suppose she needs to let everyone know that she is still around

The poor guy had only this to say

"They're sending me to a foreign country, they're taking my mom away from me, all my friends. I'm devastated," he said.

""I have no plans once I arrive," he said. "My cousin is going to meet me there . . . or my auntie, or whoever she is, and I'll just take it from there"

On arrival, he gets a warm bed, food - what more could a criminal ask for?

Last edited by not2old; Mar 7th 2017 at 2:57 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

I presume he has a right to a Dutch passport....he should use it as an EUcitizen to move to an English speaking country, he has until the end of the month before BREXIT is triggered.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
I presume he has a right to a Dutch passport....he should use it as an EUcitizen to move to an English speaking country, he has until the end of the month before BREXIT is triggered.
perfect

He could move to the UK
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:14 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
perfect

He could move to the UK
Or go USA then walk across the border back to mom
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
If his convictions are notified to the Schengen Information System, then he'd be inadmissable to the UK even as an EU national on the grounds of public safety.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:42 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
If his convictions are notified to the Schengen Information System, then he'd be inadmissible to the UK even as an EU national on the grounds of public safety.
Given that he is a 'criminal', that he may find his way around certain things

Is the UK in the Schengen?

Back on soil in the Netherlands as a criminal, would he be allowed to have a Dutch passport?

Last edited by not2old; Mar 7th 2017 at 3:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.