Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another travel insurance thread

Another travel insurance thread

Old Aug 27th 2019, 4:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another travel insurance thread

I had a previous thread going about the insurance cost for four people of specified ages on one quote being massively more expensive than the total of two quotes for the same four, split into one and three, with the same insurer.

Today I was looking at the rate for two on the RBC site. Under 'vacation of a lifetime' the cost came up as $526.
Under category of 'other' but with identical travel information, four options came up.

One of them was the same $526 and covered all the stuff I was familiar with on previous policies travelling from the UK - cancellation, luggage, medical etc.
But one option was emergency medical only and it was $90. A saving of $436.

It was the same unlimited medical for both options, with the comprehensive one having a higher allowance for incidental stuff, like accommodation costs between hospital discharge and flight home or silly things like an international phone call.

Honestly, if you're away for less than a week to, say, the South of France the medical policy would be good enough wouldn't it?

You can book a hotel choosing to pay about $40 extra and get a refund cancelling up to 2 months ahead and for just a few days the extra $436 might even be more than the value of your luggage. Unless you have a case full of designer gear so that's me out.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another travel insurance thread

Last time I flew I bought medical from BCAA for $23 and some change and trip cancellation that Delta airlines sells at the time of buying a ticket for $29 and some change, which was enough for my needs.

Trip cancellation covered up to $3,000 for cancellation, up to $3,000 for trip interruption, Up to $150 for max of 2 days for trip delay.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 6:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Last time I flew I bought medical from BCAA for $23 and some change and trip cancellation that Delta airlines sells at the time of buying a ticket for $29 and some change, which was enough for my needs.
That's interesting. I was larking about earlier with plane tickets and hotel stays and I can't remember which but one of the bookings offered cancellation insurance. I'd never seen that before, only "recommended" (by the holiday company) insurance when booking a package deal that's about 4 times the cost of independent insurance.

Old Aug 27th 2019, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure when airlines started doing it but seems common now at least with the airlines I have dealt with. When I travel pretty much the only pre-booked in advance is the airfare, hotels I either pay for when I arrive or shortly before departure so I don't feel a need to get expensive cancellation insurance. Most hotels let you cancel within 24-48 hours of arrival penalty free provided you didn't book some super cheap restricted rate.

But I also pretty much only exclusively travel to see my family, so only going to California and I stay with family while there so rarely is there anything booked except airfare.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's interesting. I was larking about earlier with plane tickets and hotel stays and I can't remember which but one of the bookings offered cancellation insurance. I'd never seen that before, only "recommended" (by the holiday company) insurance when booking a package deal that's about 4 times the cost of independent insurance.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 27th 2019 at 7:15 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 12:59 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You can check with your insurance broker, they may have options. Also your credit card may have some travel insurance. OHs work plan has some. I do sometimes add on extra insuramce if its cheap enough.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 4:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You might find this of use in your research
https://www.travelinsurancereview.ca/canadian-travel-insurance-reviews/
https://www.travelinsurancereview.ca...ors-in-canada/
2nd link for seniors (thinking of your MIL) - with recommendations

Join CARP -

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 4th 2019 at 4:12 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You might find this of use in your research
https://www.travelinsurancereview.ca...urance-review/
https://www.travelinsurancereview.ca...ors-in-canada/
2nd link for seniors (thinking of your MIL) - with recommendations
Thanks, I'll add that to another I found - https://bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/...ce-for-seniors - for if/when the time comes. It looked pretty good with the option to lock in a (higher) price with no medical questionnaire or do one and then risk a higher premium.