Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another car thread. Over 15 years old.

Another car thread. Over 15 years old.

Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another car thread. Over 15 years old.

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Would you ship them over for doing up and then sell them on? I suspect you could get 8 minis in a 40ftr. I take it they have to be in really good nick in Canada?

FL, do you know if there is a limit to the number you can bring over, 1 for me and 1 for Mrs fletch, would that be OK?
I think I've got it right that dbd33 used to do something along these lines many moons ago. It was some model or other that sold used at a good price in Switzerland but could be bought here much more cheaply.

Perhaps he'll enlighten us in time.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think I've got it right that dbd33 used to do something along these lines many moons ago. It was some model or other that sold used at a good price in Switzerland but could be bought here much more cheaply.

Perhaps he'll enlighten us in time.
New, not used. My then brother-in-law visited one Christmas, saw the price of new Jeeps here and decided to take one home. We bowled on down to the dealer and negotiated, with me translating. There was much gallic posturing. At one point the salesman said

"And how will you pay for the vehicle?"

"Travellers cheque" said the traveller, emphatically, as if he had thirty grand in traveller's cheques in his pocket.

In the end a deal was made. iirc, a Jeep Cherokee Limited was $23,000 here after the tax was refunded on exporting it. The import duty in CH was a bal a kilo or about $2,000, I drove the car to the airport and it went on Lufthansa for another couple of thousand, comfortably less than $30,000 all in. The list price then, in CH was about $60,000. That one was sold almost on arrival and I was sent to fetch another. We went around this a few times before Chrysler wouldn't sell me any more. I understand, but haven't seen, that the last of them is now a hen house.

Like Mike above, we happened on this model. Had we planned to get into the grey market we'd likely have gone for Corvettes.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
New, not used. My then brother-in-law visited one Christmas, saw the price of new Jeeps here and decided to take one home. We bowled on down to the dealer and negotiated, with me translating. There was much gallic posturing. At one point the salesman said

"And how will you pay for the vehicle?"

"Travellers cheque" said the traveller, emphatically, as if he had thirty grand in traveller's cheques in his pocket.

In the end a deal was made. iirc, a Jeep Cherokee Limited was $23,000 here after the tax was refunded on exporting it. The import duty in CH was a bal a kilo or about $2,000, I drove the car to the airport and it went on Lufthansa for another couple of thousand, comfortably less than $30,000 all in. The list price then, in CH was about $60,000. That one was sold almost on arrival and I was sent to fetch another. We went around this a few times before Chrysler wouldn't sell me any more. I understand, but haven't seen, that the last of them is now a hen house.

Like Mike above, we happened on this model. Had we planned to get into the grey market we'd likely have gone for Corvettes.
I thought it was Jeeps but I couldn't imagine why Swiss people would want one. I suppose its the Alps?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I thought it was Jeeps but I couldn't imagine why Swiss people would want one. I suppose its the Alps?
Just a desire to have something different I think, I don't recall any pretense of utility.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:52 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
Just a desire to have something different I think, I don't recall any pretense of utility.
Fair enough. A bit like Ferraris or Aston Martins then.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
If we still had our RX7 FD (latest model) we would most definately be taking that. They seem to love their RX-7's over there, but I've never seen an FD model in Canada and if you do, it will probably be a RHD. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as it is in keeping with the whole "JDM Yo" thing the kids like.

...... Just looked up Kijiji and there's one for sale for $8500 lol, so scrap that idea

If it's still for sale by the time we get over I might buy it
i toyed with the idea of an FD3S for a while, but after a friend had one that needed a rebuild, i decided to ditch the idea!

i'd hope to be able to take my Supercharged Civic Type-R (EP3 shape) with me to AB, but alas, its only 7 years old! And the closest Canadian equivalents are very rare and come with a crap version of the Engine

i'm unsure what to do car wise, as i live and breathe JDM cars...but i'm loving the idea of a big lumping V8 Truck when i get to Canada

although, a friend of mine is building an Austin Mini Mayfair with an MG TF 1.8VVC engine...i could buy that off him and bring it with me...surely a 130hp Classic Mini would give everyone a shock!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by haggis88

i'm unsure what to do car wise, as i live and breathe JDM cars...
Why not emigrate to Japan?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

i don't like sushi!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:45 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Those Jeeps were the vehicle of choice for gangsters at one time and I seem to recall something about theft rings stealing them in NA and shipping them to eastern Europe.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:38 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

although, a friend of mine is building an Austin Mini Mayfair with an MG TF 1.8VVC engine...i could buy that off him and bring it with me...surely a 130hp Classic Mini would give everyone a shock!
It might... but be warned there are a few places down in california that are sticking much bigger engines in classic minis...
VTEC is the choice over here running anywhere between 195 to 220hp...
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

oh yeah i know that! we originally attempted to build a Vauxhall C20LET mini, but the subframe ended up being junk!

my mechanic has a mini obsession...he's building one with a Honda K20 in the back! :O

there's one or two in Scotland running the 3.5 V8 from the old Rovers!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:52 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeah i know that! we originally attempted to build a Vauxhall C20LET mini, but the subframe ended up being junk!

my mechanic has a mini obsession...he's building one with a Honda K20 in the back! :O

there's one or two in Scotland running the 3.5 V8 from the old Rovers!
Its insane...

I have the 1275 with twin Hs4's its nowhere near those power levels an its a bugger for wheel spin...
Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

i'd like to build a VTEC Mini, but i haven't got the patience
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:24 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

So it seems it is a Mini or a Defender. Does anyone know how difficult it is to register in BC and if there is any inspection required? Thanks.fletch
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
So it seems it is a Mini or a Defender. Does anyone know how difficult it is to register in BC and if there is any inspection required? Thanks.fletch
Im sure the most helpful poster Google will be along shortly to answer your question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.