British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Android Smart TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/android-smart-tv-846729/)

MrHyperPants Dec 14th 2014 3:55 pm

Re: Android Smart TV

I use a minix neo 8h and run xbmc gotham 13.2 on it. It came with minix's version of xbmc 13.1 gotham. I've added all the add ons myself. Get live TV from all over. Some of the canadian channels a lacking.

But for me it's about streaming content rather then watching live TV. As in bc I'm 8hrs behind the UK so watching live UK TV is not really worht it for me.

How ever I do watch live football on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

DandNHill Dec 22nd 2014 3:27 am

Bought one of these today with the little keyboard.... Malik asked if the person who recommended him was **** but I said I didn't know your name! lol

Thanks, it looks promising and he said to call if we have any questions... nice helpful guy :)

Oink Dec 22nd 2014 3:39 am

Giggity.

http://intelligenttravel.typepad.com...eir_work_3.jpg

magnumpi Dec 22nd 2014 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 11509818)
Bought one of these today with the little keyboard.... Malik asked if the person who recommended him was **** but I said I didn't know your name! lol

Thanks, it looks promising and he said to call if we have any questions... nice helpful guy :)

It simple to plug and play, but takes time to get used to as I've said previously, but worth it imho

DandNHill Dec 22nd 2014 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11510595)
It simple to plug and play, but takes time to get used to as I've said previously, but worth it imho

Yeah he said we just needed to plug it in and he showed me how it works and I wrote it all down! lol

He also said that we can call him anytime so we have that back up...

Thanks again and Merry Christmas :santa:

magnumpi Jan 1st 2015 3:47 pm

It's been fun watching all the UK Christmas and NY programming, even watched "The Interview" and the fireworks in London was amazing, compared to Toronto OMG, Toronto !!! Get a bigger box of standard for crist sake :p

No regrets getting this box now. I did keep Rogers cable, but on a new negotiated much lower price, only sacrificed cartoons that I didn't know I had Lol

BristolUK Jan 1st 2015 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11518579)
It's been fun watching all the UK Christmas and NY programming, even watched "The Interview"

What all of it? I thought it dull and gave up.

and the fireworks in London was amazing
I watched them - and Sydney and a few others - courtesy of the guardian website.

magnumpi Jan 1st 2015 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11518677)
What all of it? I thought it dull and gave up.

Yep all of it, wasn't that bad, but not worth a neuclear war over IMO

not2old Apr 9th 2015 11:50 pm

thanks to the OP for starting this thread, the discussions as well as input & contributions from others, it has taken me several months of research, trial & error to get me to 'the point of 'cut the cable'

I researched this [low cost] technology to death. Having been back & forth & with magnumpi that recommended the 'go see' the electronics shop in Ajax Ontario for a test drive of the 'android box' workings.

From the US, I purchased the Amazon firestick, brought back by a friend & zero issues, its a dream. I downloaded XBMC (Kodi) onto it. It provides everything that the OP mentioned he gets with his android box

Cost $55 Cdn landed

Then its was down to how to 'cut the cable', as far as 'what do I do about local Canadian & US (Buffalo) channels'. I believe that I have it sorted. In early March from Amazon.ca I purchased the winegard FL5500A razor thin antenna. Measures 13" x 13" weighs 8 oz.

Cost $75.68 Cdn

With it pasted on the 2nd floor bedroom wall facing SE, I am getting 100% all the time perfect 30 channels total. 10 Canadian & the rest US. Depending on the weather (warmer & clearer the better) I can get an extra 5 -6 channels.

There are folks in and around the GTA that have huge & small outdoor antennas that are getting the same OTA results that I am getting. Different locations as well as different parts of the country may give different results.

Partially discharged Apr 10th 2015 3:04 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11518579)
It's been fun watching all the UK Christmas and NY programming, even watched "The Interview"

I finally watched the "Interview" courtesy of Popcorn Time and there goes 2 hours of my life I won't get back. I kept on hoping it would get less like a Mike Myers movie but it got worse and worse as it went on.

magnumpi Apr 10th 2015 3:09 am

Yeh it was a bad movie. Best movie I have seen has got to be "Night Crawler" I just did not want that film to end :@)

SchnookoLoly Apr 10th 2015 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11615208)
Then its was down to how to 'cut the cable', as far as 'what do I do about local Canadian & US (Buffalo) channels'. I believe that I have it sorted. In early March from Amazon.ca I purchased the winegard FL5500A razor thin antenna. Measures 13" x 13" weighs 8 oz.

Cost $75.68 Cdn

Winegard FL5500A FlatWave Amplified Razor Thin HDTV Indoor Antenna, Black/White: Amazon.ca: Electronics

With it pasted on the 2nd floor bedroom wall facing SE, I am getting 100% all the time perfect 30 channels total. 10 Canadian & the rest US. Depending on the weather (warmer & clearer the better) I can get an extra 5 -6 channels.

There are folks in and around the GTA that have huge & small outdoor antennas that are getting the same OTA results that I am getting. Different locations as well as different parts of the country may give different results.

This is awesome, have sent it to my husbandt o have a look at as we will be in the market for an antenna as well! Wicked!

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11615315)
I finally watched the "Interview" courtesy of Popcorn Time and there goes 2 hours of my life I won't get back. I kept on hoping it would get less like a Mike Myers movie but it got worse and worse as it went on.

Yeah we watched that when it came on Netflix. Easily one of the stupidest movies I've EVER seen.

not2old Apr 10th 2015 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11615626)
This is awesome, have sent it to my husbandt o have a look at as we will be in the market for an antenna as well! Wicked!

on the winegard FL55OOA buying it from Amazon.ca is that you have a 30 day 'no cost postage' to you to return it & get full refund. They send you the shipping label as well as the RMA authorization. This is something I asked before I bought the product. I ended up keeping it of course.

Speaking to folks that live in the GTA that have bought this antenna, is that they are getting minimum 14 channels worse case. Just point it to the CN or somewhere between it & buffalo.

In the GTA, the Canadian stations come in strong

For Oakville, point it towards Buffalo & I'm sure you'd still get the local Canadian channels beamed from the CN Tower, reason being is this antenna can capture signals whether its back to front or front to back pasted on a window or wall. I have had it going in all directions, even picks up from the edge of the device also.

At least it gives folks the opportunity to do a 30 day trial see its worth

What I did from my location was placed it in the upsatirs bedroom on the wall near the ceiling facing SSE towards between the CN tower & Buffalo CH2 NBC. After getting the final resting place, I then connected the wire from the antenna to a two-way cable TV splitter, one output to the TV in the bedroom, the second leg to the cable outlet in the bedroom that went back down to the basement - it I connected (with an 'F' connector joiner slug) to the wire going to the family room.

And yes zero signal loss & still got the same channels downstaris as upstairs.

Londonuck Apr 11th 2015 4:51 am

I love my android box. Took a while to get my head round it but im well into it now. I even bought a cheap aerial for the locals channels, which come in in HD.

We should have a thread with app recommendations.