British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Android Smart TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/android-smart-tv-846729/)

magnumpi Nov 9th 2014 4:31 pm

Android Smart TV

1 Attachment(s)
Got us a Magical Box Android Smart TV box last week, had a week to try it and looks like Rogers TV is guna be history in our house

New and old Movies, footy, live BBC 1-2-3, ITV, Ch4, Sky sport 1-2-3 etc, new and old series it's very good. (Yeh i knows u can get all this on a computer but) so easy all at the touch of a button, or 3.

Price? $110 all set up fully loaded with channels

kimilseung Nov 9th 2014 4:37 pm

Re: Android Smart TV

How does it access Sky Sports? Is it legal? Is there a chance that the service go belly up? Is there an annual service charge?
If its XBMC, would it not have been more economical to buy a Raspberry Pi?
So many questions.

magnumpi Nov 9th 2014 4:48 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Lol no monthly or annual fee

It does access xbcm but that is just one of many many ways to get TV on this box.

Is it legal, I bought this from a high street shop, they had the thing running in store, that's eno for me

I have seen them RP but this is all set up for me, plug n play if u will ;)

kimilseung Nov 9th 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks for getting back. How does it access Sky Sports? Thats the interesting one. Is that an XBMC channel or similar? Who maintains the channel? (or whatever it is that XBMC calls those things)
I have no doubt that the box is legit, my query is about how it accesses paid channels, like Sky Sports.

magnumpi Nov 9th 2014 5:04 pm

Yeh the one we get comes thru the xbcm icon, it is possible to get that on a PC or laptop as my boy has put it thru his PC now in his room.

You have to have the right add onz, we use sport devil, all the best add ons have been added at the store

BristolUK Nov 9th 2014 6:04 pm

I don't like the look of that thingy with all those buttons on. :eek:

magnumpi Nov 9th 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11466079)
I don't like the look of that thingy with all those buttons on. :eek:

The remote with the box is similar to a TV remote, I upgraded mine to the NASA style remote and mouse. It's easier to find stuff by typing in what we want on the search bar and scrolling using the mouse pad.

not2old Nov 9th 2014 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11465988)
Got us a Magical Box Android Smart TV box last week, had a week to try it and looks like Rogers TV is guna be history in our house

New and old Movies, footy, live BBC 1-2-3, ITV, Ch4, Sky sport 1-2-3 etc, new and old series it's very good. (Yeh i knows u can get all this on a computer but) so easy all at the touch of a button, or 3.

its one of these in the link below?

or this one?

http://www.vancouverfta.com/Mygica-A...FQET7Aodp3kAEA

Being a sceptic & always concerned its never apples for apples with the channel line up from the rip off guys at Rogers. How much are you paying for your internet service & who is it with?

Do you get all the Canadian channels, CNN, HGTV, Discovery, AMC etc - or is it just movies & sports?

Agree though, anything to get rid of Rogers

magnumpi Nov 9th 2014 7:00 pm

It's the first one, with the same stuff on the pics as the second one. Amazon like to charge ehh? $189 ouch

Problem with buying online is u have to add on yourself. That means finding all the add onz. The guy at the store did all this for us, usually he would charge $20 but we are return customers so no charge:@)

I can get a lot of the same stuff as my TV gets, CNN news, BBC & ITV news too, and the UK adverts lol strange seeing them now. Plus History and Discovery channels, these are live too, as on Rogers.

I am with Bell, Fibre and we get 365GB for $49:00 month. I also pay $111 for Rogers TV and $29 for a house phone. I have at last convinced her indoors that the landline is useless to us, and for $30 extra we can get unlimited internet. Rogers TV is looking like where I will make a saving here.

It's not all good tho, no listing of the day's programmes like on Rogers. So no idea what's on until u find it? I can live with that tho I think.

BristolUK Nov 9th 2014 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11465988)
....Yeh i knows u can get all this on a computer but so easy all at the touch of a button, or 3.

These gadgets are very appealing when it comes to saving a bomb for a relatively small initial outlay - assuming one has a TV or or three new enough to connect to.

Something like 90% of my 'viewing' is from downloads of TV and movies that I watch later. I have cut back to the bare minimum on the TV package - but still enough to (mostly) satisfy the others in the house along with their Netflix subscription.

But some football has disappeared with the saving and I make up for it by streaming. As great as our internet speed is, though, I still find live BBC pauses for 5 seconds every thirty (and now live ITV does it too); streamed images are not always as clear as I'd like (sometimes it seems the players have been superimposed on a blurry green background); sound sometimes out of sync etc

What guarantee is there that these are not also problems with different gadgets but still internet sourced TV?

magnumpi Nov 9th 2014 7:28 pm

Agreed some feeds are less capable than others, but for the first time in a long time we sat and watched Leeds v Blackpool game, and now fully understand why the pool are losing so many games, basically they is crap :@(

I found a UK TV app for iPhone now so we have a list of what's on

magnumpi Nov 9th 2014 10:02 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Match of the Day 2, oh how I have missed you lol

not2old Nov 12th 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11466133)

I am with Bell, Fibre and we get 365GB for $49:00 month. .

how can I get such a deal which doesn't show on the Bell website?

Fibe Internet plans, Mobile Internet access | Bell Canada

BristolUK Nov 12th 2014 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11469185)
how can I get such a deal which doesn't show on the Bell website?

Some of these things don't get advertised other than mailshots.

We get a regular mailing from Rogers about something for about $15 a month that didn't show up on their site when I looked.

magnumpi Nov 12th 2014 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11469223)
Some of these things don't get advertised other than mailshots.

We get a regular mailing from Rogers about something for about $15 a month that didn't show up on their site when I looked.

I called and negotiations took place