Air Canada

Old Apr 6th 2018, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Canada

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I fly frequently enough through a small airport to be on nodding terms with the CATSA people. "So you remembered your Ipad this time" was the comment a couple of weeks back on my last trip.
Like the guy at the Lewiston border who asked where my dogs were.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Reading through this I have to have a little laugh to myself when remembering what happened the first time we went back to the UK after we got our Canadian passports, in 1975.

At that time, there were 3 lines to go through Immigration ........... UK, Commonwealth, and Others. We proudly lined up in the Commonwealth line, I presented our passports to the officer on duty. He looked in them all, saw OH and I were British born (although daughter was Canadian), and then said "Why didn't you go through the UK line? You're still British even with these. We never let you go."

Believe it or not, we were offended by his comment.

That was repeated with more or less the same words the next 4 or 5 times.

We've not used a British passport since we got the Canadian ones in 1974, never renewed that we then had when it ran out. Never had any trouble entering or leaving any country. Why should we??? We enter and leave using the same passport, and claiming the same citizenship.

I do remember many years ago, when there was some unrest in some part of the world, a warning being issued that people should not carry and travel on more than one passport because it was possible that neither (or none) of the countries would help them if they got in trouble due to the unrest.

I think that is in fact what happened when Lebanese-Canadian citizens who had returned to Lebanon, then wanted Canada to get them out of trouble ...... Canada moved VERY slowly.
It seems like the border guys were just trying to be friendly. If I emigrated to another country I wouldn't be offended at being called Canadian or Maltese, that seems a little like a mountain made out of a molehill.

It doesn't make me any less Canadian if I use an EU passport to travel to Europe or wherever else is more beneficial to travel as a European vs a Canadian, or if I decide to leave Canada and live somewhere else for a while.

If Britain introduces something like Canada did with eTA, you may be required to enter/exit the UK on UK passports if you go back to visit so keep that in mind. Like Dorothy said, not everyone has the option of just traveling on one passport even if they wanted to.

What happened in Lebanon is Canada dragged their feet because those people were Lebanese citizens as well as Canadian and a foreign authority cannot usually intervene on behalf of citizens of that country, and Canadian taxpayers weren't too happy about repatriating people who came here, got citizenship then went back to a warzone and cried wolf when they were in danger.

If i'm a dual citizen and I travel to a third country, i'm entitled to the consular assistance of the country on whose passport I entered. So if I travel as a Maltese citizen to China, I am entitled to assistance from the Maltese embassy/consulate, or any EU one for that matter, but not the Canadian. Being a dual citizen does not exempt you from consular assistance, you just go to the one whose passport you are traveling on for that trip.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
There used to be exit controls in Australia so I had to show my Aussie one there, Canadian one at check in and the gate then Australian again when leaving Canada. Now there's no exit control it's Canada on the way there and Aus on the way home.
Gotcha cheers. That's what I do as well.

Last edited by Gozit; Apr 6th 2018 at 4:17 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Gozit ............

you got me wrong.

We were a little bit offended because we were so proud of being (fairly) new Canadian citizens!

As for going back .......... I have very little desire to visit England. If we do make an international trip it will be across the Pacific.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/air...i-fi-2ku-gogo/

According to this, all the 777's should have wi-fi on board by summer!! So I may be in luck Just have to hope they don't change my flight from the 777 to the 787.