Ageism

Old Oct 12th 2017, 7:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ageism

Genetics, AI, anyone with 30 years left should be able to extend their life (or mind) into the mid-100's!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Funny thing, googling life expectancy gives UK @ 81.60, USA 78.74 and Canada 82.14.

Presumably none of those factors have been built in though.

Canada 2011

http://public.tableau.com/static/ima...dash/1_rss.png
PEI 80.7, NS 80.2
You wouldn't want to be in Nunavut though would you?
Old Oct 12th 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Genetics, AI, anyone with 30 years left should be able to extend their life (or mind) into the mid-100's!
You and Oink are going to have to make your minds up! Retirement or no retirement for me?! lol
Old Oct 12th 2017, 7:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
You and Oink are going to have to make your minds up! Retirement or no retirement for me?! lol
A life of leisure as robots will be doing all the work!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 10:46 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I'm 50 and my boss is 26! Same age as my oldest son... he lacks maturity at times...at others you'd think he was old!!!
My daughter works in the health service sector and I get the impression that the concept of seniority by age is well entrenched. I wonder how they would have coped with some experiences I've had where it's what you know and can show that you know that demonstrates what level you should achieve.

This blog has reminded me of a long, and perhaps purposefully, forgotten episode I experienced long ago. I worked in a technical services department, I was probably about thirty and I'd spent some time trying to figure out an obscure problem concerned with acid dew points and was getting nowhere. It was summer and we were assigned a work experience ex-sixth former whose ambition was to join the RAF as a pilot. His A level grades were expected to be good. The lad turned out to be brilliant and we gave him the problem and he solved it apparently with ease. I think some people's minds just work like that. There was no attempt to hide our astonishment or our congratulations and we felt as though we'd done our bit to help him on his way, we had after all stretched him a little, we hoped. I don't think we ever felt that age had been an issue, he'd simply done what was asked of him and had he become my superior I wouldn't have complained, after all he'd demonstrated a skill that I'd not done well at.

I do remember that older members of the team felt no age related resentment either but there were a few mumblings from an apprentice nearer his own age.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:27 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Ageism is alive and well.

I worked in the recruitment industry and ageism and racism are rampant in Ontario. Imagine if you were over 50 and of an ethnicity and the problem would be compounded.

I don't really have advise. In my profession I'm feeling over the hill and I'm 38.

Times are changing and the problem is getting worse.
I'm 47 now, and have applied for a number of jobs over the last couple of years. I have no problem getting interviews, but haven't been able to get a new job. At one interview I was actually told that I was older than my linked in photo showed. Agesim is definitely more of a thing here. We are actually looking at moving to England, as there are deffo more jobs in my field and also my other half can take over my Dad's business....
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:39 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Best to think of it as different. I'm hopeful of making a European trip next year but it saddens me to think it's not so easy to see it regularly. So, rather than think of Canada as second best I try to think of the advantage of being able to go see Nova Scotia or the Rockies. Or even Niagara Falls again.

That's how old I was when I married and became parent to 11 and 13 year olds.
I got married at 46. You're not at all alone in that....
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
It doesnt matter what people tell you that you should feel or how you should look at it. How you feel is how you feel.
Someone very intelligent once told me that I just had to rewire my brain, thats its possible and what I would need to get out of that thought process. He explained that you can reset the passage of thought that your brain has become used to using and thinking.
I googled it and its makes sense. I have spent some time rewiring back to the more positive me regardless of subject matter, trying to return to the way I viewed the world at 24. Its flippin hard.

Ive been thinking what you have said here....and rewriing the brain in relation to your age. I suppose I have been adhering to the "normal" life path where I should be this by this age, and should be that by that age and so on... but what is normal?

Maybe I should start telling myself that my life is normal for me and live it that way and not pay any attention to how people take that number we call age and judge you by it.

I think rewiring your brain could work from an inner peace point of view, but unfortunately others will still judge us on our number, especially in the work place. Just got to keep on trying, there are still employers out there that dont judge you on age.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:53 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Howefamily
It doesnt matter what people tell you that you should feel or how you should look at it. How you feel is how you feel.
Someone very intelligent once told me that I just had to rewire my brain, thats its possible and what I would need to get out of that thought process. He explained that you can reset the passage of thought that your brain has become used to using and thinking.
I googled it and its makes sense. I have spent some time rewiring back to the more positive me regardless of subject matter, trying to return to the way I viewed the world at 24. Its flippin hard.
I did that in my early 30's and got another decade of youth before I managed to get out alive! Now mentally I seem to be operating at about a decade below my real age. So I think to some extent rewiring is possible. Moving helps.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think rewiring your brain could work from an inner peace point of view, but unfortunately others will still judge us on our number, especially in the work place.
I follow the Dalai Lama on twitter, and he sends me a little inspirational message once in awhile, keeping me from going berserk. I'm lucky though, being in my 60's I have enough experience that for the most part the rest of the workplace just lets me get on with it, and some days there's cake.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Ive been thinking what you have said here....and rewriing the brain in relation to your age. I suppose I have been adhering to the "normal" life path where I should be this by this age, and should be that by that age and so on... but what is normal?

Maybe I should start telling myself that my life is normal for me and live it that way and not pay any attention to how people take that number we call age and judge you by it.

I think rewiring your brain could work from an inner peace point of view, but unfortunately others will still judge us on our number, especially in the work place. Just got to keep on trying, there are still employers out there that dont judge you on age.
I did that in my early 30's and got another decade of youth before I managed to get out alive! Now mentally I seem to be operating at about a decade below my real age. So I think to some extent rewiring is possible. Moving helps.

That sounds depressing.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:21 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
That sounds depressing.
Coping strategies
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Coping strategies
You could of just gone for a run.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:31 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
You could of just gone for a run.
Exercise and sports is definitely part of the toolkit.

BTW, what age is the start of middle age in the Oink dictionary?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:59 pm

Exercise and sports is definitely part of the toolkit.

BTW, what age is the start of middle age in the Oink dictionary?
38-40?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.