Ageism

Old Oct 6th 2017, 1:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ageism

Originally Posted by dbd33
Older people are, I submit, less reliable due to being more established...
Maybe, but that's in situ. If you're looking for work, you're no longer established.

Faced with the older person who's had a history of steady employment, mostly with one or maybe two employers, an employer might be more interested in them than someone younger who has flitted about quite a bit.

Home Depot or Home Hardware (can't remember which) is currently advertising a policy that gives older people a chance.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:30 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Maybe, but that's in situ. If you're looking for work, you're no longer established.

Faced with the older person who's had a history of steady employment, mostly with one or maybe two employers, an employer might be more interested in them than someone younger who has flitted about quite a bit.

Home Depot or Home Hardware (can't remember which) is currently advertising a policy that gives older people a chance.
Home Depot has always hired retired trades people. They are the ones that can actually answer questions and give good advice. Not like the teens at my local hardware outlet that know nothing.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
On a less jokey note, what kind of work were you envisaging? IT work? Wouldn't ageism still persist?
What we did in the past, when the client didn't like a class of person, was to have an acceptable person negotiate for the firm to do the work. After that remote work is judged on merit, it's done or it's not done, and the client doesn't know anything but the name and accent of the worker.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:09 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise.

When I graduated in the early 70's it was in a year when a turndown in the chemical industr severely restricted recruitment. With an MSc I found myself out of the market for run of the mill graduates and was unemployed for 6 months... and I was only 24.

I remember having a file inches thick with rejection letters and when I plonked it in front of the local labour exchange official, his reply was that I must be applying for the wrong job. Money is always an issue and I would have taken any work but as one potential employer put it, 'you have a degree, if I take you on you'll leave as soon as something more suitable comes up so why would I do it?'

As time passed, I remember getting very depressed and the days become very long indeed.

My only advice is to apply for everything.. anything that will fill the days and boost self esteem because once you feel depressed, as I did, this must influence how you are percieved at interviews.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Seems ageism is alive and kicking in Ontario.
Hubby has had several interviews recently and not been offered a single job.
He kind of looks older than his age (53) and just keeps getting knocked back.
He's getting very depressed and I don't what to say to him.
Anybody else having this issue?

I on the other hand seem to get a lot of interest in my resume and get offered jobs. People tell me I look about 5 years younger than I am (50)... coincidence maybe?
I know exactly how your husband feels, he is not alone, I am going through the same thing, last time I got laid off I was 28 and I walked straight into another job, Im 47 now....and its just not happening for me....ageism is definitely a factor.

Im not even getting the interviews considering the number of jobs I have applied for, I have even started to seriously thinking about about downgrading the experience I have, just don't know what else to do.

So I fully empathise with your husband, ts getting harder and harder to pick myself up, you really start to question your abilities.

He is lucky to have you to pick him up, its obviously hard on you too.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I sympathise.

When I graduated in the early 70's it was in a year when a turndown in the chemical industr severely restricted recruitment. With an MSc I found myself out of the market for run of the mill graduates and was unemployed for 6 months... and I was only 24.

I remember having a file inches thick with rejection letters and when I plonked it in front of the local labour exchange official, his reply was that I must be applying for the wrong job. Money is always an issue and I would have taken any work but as one potential employer put it, 'you have a degree, if I take you on you'll leave as soon as something more suitable comes up so why would I do it?'

As time passed, I remember getting very depressed and the days become very long indeed.

My only advice is to apply for everything.. anything that will fill the days and boost self esteem because once you feel depressed, as I did, this must influence how you are percieved at interviews.
This is definitely a thing and have to admit I would probably be the same if recruiting.

I was laid off from a management job in the early 90's. Although my background was IT field service, I couldn't even get an interview for a field engineer role until I changed my CV and removed all management references. Had a job within a month.

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I know exactly how your husband feels, he is not alone, I am going through the same thing, last time I got laid off I was 28 and I walked straight into another job, Im 47 now....and its just not happening for me....ageism is definitely a factor.

Im not even getting the interviews considering the number of jobs I have applied for, I have even started to seriously thinking about about downgrading the experience I have, just don't know what else to do.

So I fully empathise with your husband, ts getting harder and harder to pick myself up, you really start to question your abilities.

Certainly downplay your experience but be sure to be truthful. Omission is not untruthful.

You need to customize your resume for every individual application. Be sure to keep copies of each so you don't trip yourself up.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Places like Walmart, Home Depot, Tim Hortons and Rona don't appear to have a problem hiring mature people.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ageism definitely exists and not always from employers. Your job can be made a misery by younger people who think that you know nothing. My last job they assumed I knew nothing about computers and one bit of imaging technology in particular when the opposite was true as I knew more than the lot of them combined. Bar stewards
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Places like Walmart, Home Depot, Tim Hortons and Rona don't appear to have a problem hiring mature people.
It may come to that when EI runs out.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I did a lot of academic work on ageism before I left the UK. I'm a sociolinguist so I was interested in the way it was written about and talked about. I once complained to the Advertising Standards Authority because they ran an online ad several years ago for (I can't recall but I think) a Sky Digibox with Michael Parkinson saying (something like) "even someone of my age can use it" or similar which of course reinforces negative stereotypes about ageing. They made a bland response along the lines that it was not discriminatory to which I replied that if the advertisers had written "even someone of my colour can use it" or "even a woman can operate it" they would never allow it.

Yes, self employed can be the way to go. I retrained (since in Canada) and have several short term renewable contracts.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

How do they know your age from your resume, or are you inferring that it is implied from your work history?
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How do they know your age from your resume, or are you inferring that it is implied from your work history?

Just through work history, I have already omitted my first ever job, thinking about it now, I may drop the next one too, as I don't think any of the experience in that particular position is relevant to the position I am searching for today. Its hard to know what to do.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Ageism

Just through work history, I have already omitted my first ever job, thinking about it now, I may drop the next one too, as I don't think any of the experience in that particular position is relevant to the position I am searching for today. Its hard to know what to do.
Why not summarise your UK experience in one paragraph and detail your Canadian experience with dates etc? Would the dates of any professional qualifications be a giveaway? If so could you give dates of the Canadian equivalent if you did those?
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the job application asks for the DOB
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Easy through work history and educational dates, provided dates are provided for each.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.