Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Accents, pronunciation, Canadianisms

Accents, pronunciation, Canadianisms

Old Apr 30th 2018, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: Accents, pronunciation, Canadianisms

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I have lived in Canada almost 11yrs and its not been until recently I have learned to speak "Tim Hortons talk". I still have a strong Scottish accent and trying to order a muffin or croissant with "butter" was always problematic! I would be met with funny looks and end up spelling out b-u-t-t-e-r or saying "little tub of butter" but again strange looks from the person behind counter but caught on to saying "butter on the side"! For this I never use the drive-thrus too much hassle.
8 years and I still have to repeat myself most days. I avoid using the drive thru for the same reason. If the Mrs is with me she is always the one to order. The last straw for me was trying to order a medium hot chocolate at the Tims drive thru. Four attempts I just drove up to the window
Old Apr 30th 2018, 5:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

..."Tim Hortons talk"....
"Regular black coffee please."
"Cream or milk?"
"Black coffee..."

Old Apr 30th 2018, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
8 years and I still have to repeat myself most days. I avoid using the drive thru for the same reason. If the Mrs is with me she is always the one to order. The last straw for me was trying to order a medium hot chocolate at the Tims drive thru. Four attempts I just drove up to the window
Even if it is -30C here in Calgary I will still get out the car and walk into the restuarant ,usually at that temp there is no line up(queue) rather than have all the confusion on the speaker system. Also when I strike up a conversation in a pub a Canadian will ask me "how long are you here on holidays/vacation?" erm 11ys!?
Old Apr 30th 2018, 5:41 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Even if it is -30C here in Calgary I will still get out the car and walk into the restuarant ,usually at that temp there is no line up(queue) rather than have all the confusion on the speaker system. Also when I strike up a conversation in a pub a Canadian will ask me "how long are you here on holidays/vacation?" erm 11ys!?
Eleven, did you say? Eleven?

Reminds me of this (BBC, Burnistoun, 2011):

Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
"Cream or milk?"
"Black coffee..."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cart...on1501_low.jpg
Aye ,milk was another problem word, had to say it like Prince Charles .
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Eleven, did you say? Eleven?

Reminds me of this (BBC, Burnistoun, 2011):

Exactly!
Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Do you get asked if you are English?

I am from Stoke and I am frequently asked if I am Scottish or Irish They then usually say confused but you are British though aren't you?
Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

"Cream or milk?"
"Black coffee..."
It took me ages to stop asking for a white coffee

Something that I have noticed with the locals here is the lack of 'please' when ordering. They do seem to say 'Thank you'.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Do you get asked if you are English?

I am from Stoke and I am frequently asked if I am Scottish or Irish They then usually say confused but you are British though aren't you?
I have been asked if Im English but its been from other immigrants ,Filipinos for example.I have been mistaken for being Irish a lot mainly from Canadians. A puzzling look first appears on their faces then you know they are trying to work out where you are from. Someone thought I was French once but they must have on drugs or something.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Someone thought I was French once but they must have on drugs or something.
Not only Nova Scotians, but several of the New Brunswickers I've met had the affect of the Trailer Park Boys as well.
I've been told that the New Brunswickers in my extended family live out in the middle of the bush, speak French even though they have a Scots-Irish McName, live on moose meat, go to the store a few times a year to trade furs and can't read or write and they're happy as hell with that. No welfare and I imagine the welfare people are glad not to have to go find them.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 30th 2018 at 7:27 pm. Reason: I confused Alex2201's address with Neil's post, that's why the quote
Old Apr 30th 2018, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

ExpatSleeFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Today was a good example of why I dislike phone conversations, preferring email or face to face. But even in person has difficulties.

The number of times I have to repeat LAWTONS even mentioning its street, to a taxi driver and eventually they say "Oh LAHT'NS". It would be easier if I just said Laht'ns but I can't bring myself to do it.

But today was funny. A combination of lack of energy and weight of shopping meant I couldn't cycle back home so a taxi (a Van) was needed. So when I'd paid for my stuff I asked the cashier to call me a taxi. "I need a van."
In response to me stating my preferred company she acknowledges with "Anita?" which is pronounced Aneeda.

Does she think I'm an Anita/Aneeda? It's obvious she hasn't twigged that I need a van, so before she picks up the phone I say "That's a van I need."

So now she knows, and I hear her ask for a van. But then she says "He's asking for Aneeda." (sometimes people have favoured drivers)

So now I say "no, no, it's just a van needed" and I try to explain that I said I-need-a-van. The next two customers are falling about laughing and then the cashier twigs and we all have a good laugh.

Maybe I should try "Hellair...would you be so kind as to call me an air cab (preferred company) taxi please...and please request they send a van. Pip-pip."

What's that in Canadian?
Just hilarious. Had me in tears. I like to think my ear has sharpened a bit more towards the British accent, as I have met many Brits now being abroad and watching loads of Jeremey Kyle (just teasing but I do love this guy).

Last edited by ExpatSleeFamily; Apr 30th 2018 at 8:56 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatSleeFamily
Just curious, any examples of the Canadian accent that you find difficult to understand?
Nothing specific particularly and it's really just on the phone. Sometimes I think they might be speaking too quickly for me.

I married into a Canadian family but they're Quebeccers so I may have missed the settling in that others got.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Canada almost 11yrs and its not been until recently I have learned to speak "Tim Hortons talk". I still have a strong Scottish accent and trying to order a muffin or croissant with "butter" was always problematic! I would be met with funny looks and end up spelling out b-u-t-t-e-r or saying "little tub of butter" but again strange looks from the person behind counter but caught on to saying "butter on the side"! For this I never use the drive-thrus too much hassle.
Think in Tim Hortons it is because they are in some kind of weird auto pilot. I find if I ask for everything in one go, they still ask me questions I have already provided the answer for.

How hard is it -

"Hello Mr Tim Hortons 'barista'. A small black coffee please".
"Will that be medium or large?'.
"Erm... no, it will be a sodding small one, like I just said, thank you".
"Ok. Anything in it?".
"WTF?". My standard answer now, with a smile plastered on my face, is "No just coffee"... cue fake laughter for all concerned.

I did used to think it was my accent, but this exchange has been repeated in various branches. I have never yet had a problem with Starbucks, Second Cup or any of the local coffee places.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 10:45 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing specific particularly and it's really just on the phone. Sometimes I think they might be speaking too quickly for me.

I married into a Canadian family but they're Quebeccers so I may have missed the settling in that others got.
Er, maybe a hearing test might be in order.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:47 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
Er, maybe a hearing test might be in order.
It's only Canadian strangers on the phone I have a problem with. I spoke to a brother by phone for the first time since 2004 a couple of weeks ago (usually it's email) with no problem at all.
Doctor and dentist secretary on the phone is fairly regular and no problem there either. Taxi dispatchers ditto.

I'm confident my hearing is no worse than it was. I can watch TV/movie on my laptop, with earphones and hear a conversation in the other room. Occasionally my stepson is very loud and I hear him above what's in my earpiece and that's when I will sometimes use captions.

Which is where Netflix, iPlayer and that other website comes in handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.