Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Accents, pronunciation, Canadianisms

Accents, pronunciation, Canadianisms

Old May 1st 2018, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accents, pronunciation, Canadianisms

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Think in Tim Hortons it is because they are in some kind of weird auto pilot. I find if I ask for everything in one go, they still ask me questions I have already provided the answer for.

How hard is it -

"Hello Mr Tim Hortons 'barista'. A small black coffee please".
"Will that be medium or large?'.
"Erm... no, it will be a sodding small one, like I just said, thank you".
"Ok. Anything in it?".
"WTF?". My standard answer now, with a smile plastered on my face, is "No just coffee"... cue fake laughter for all concerned.

I did used to think it was my accent, but this exchange has been repeated in various branches. I have never yet had a problem with Starbucks, Second Cup or any of the local coffee places.
Aye,you are right they are in some kind of auto pilot probably learned in training and if you say anything outwith "Timmies Talk" it completely throws them.Starbucks I havnt had many problems probably because it is more laidback than Tims ,less busy ,people with latops and latte.
Old May 1st 2018, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I think that you are right with the auto pilot but I would also throw in familiarity with certain phrases and words.

When I deliver to certain Petrol stations we are supposed to let the staff know that we are here ( as if I can sneak in!) and they are supposed to come out and watch the tank dip. Unless they are the only person there in which case they cant leave the shop.

I had to change the way in which I asked them.

Yon Yown?

Are ya on yerown?

ARE YOU ON YOUR OWN?

FFS ARRREEEE YYOOUUUUU BYY YOUUURR SEEEELLLFFF? Yuh why?
Old May 1st 2018, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I think that you are right with the auto pilot but I would also throw in familiarity with certain phrases and words.

When I deliver to certain Petrol stations we are supposed to let the staff know that we are here ( as if I can sneak in!) and they are supposed to come out and watch the tank dip. Unless they are the only person there in which case they cant leave the shop.

I had to change the way in which I asked them.

Yon Yown?

Are ya on yerown?

ARE YOU ON YOUR OWN?

FFS ARRREEEE YYOOUUUUU BYY YOUUURR SEEEELLLFFF? Yuh why?
That's funny... Do you now lead with the last one, complete with hystrionics?

Last edited by Tumbling_Dice; May 1st 2018 at 7:04 pm. Reason: Requesting additional information
Old May 3rd 2018, 2:16 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I needed a French speaking Physics tutor, and did eventually track one down. The neighbours of course wanted to know, who he was, his entire life history...etc. this is NB and not much happens....so I told them he was an engineer from Bathurst. Quite a while later they asked me if everyone from Ireland (they had several tries at the word) speaks French? They thought I'd been talking about Belfast! I can't say 'Bath', evidently. I'd even been waiving my hands and saying 'Northern Coast' and they still had no clue...it chips away at the self confidence though!

I won't go to Subway or Pitta Pit, it's just too bloody stressful, I went in there with a NZ friend and we about brought the place to a standstill. Somedays I can see an amusing side, but others it's just, tiring and stupid...they need newcomers in Atlantic Canada, but if every one of us is going to have to explain our life story in order to get a wholewheat roll they will ultimately give up.

I have lived successfully in a number of societies where I have been happy and accepted...I tend to feel that my sense of isolation here is a 'their' problem, not a 'my' problem now, and perhaps they should address their small minded insularity at some point.

When I get bored I go and talk to myself in the Mirrow.
Old May 3rd 2018, 2:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
...they asked me if everyone from Ireland (they had several tries at the word) speaks French? They thought I'd been talking about Belfast!
There's a mischievous part of me that wants to express surprise they know where Belfast is.
Old May 3rd 2018, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I needed a French speaking Physics tutor, and did eventually track one down. The neighbours of course wanted to know, who he was, his entire life history...etc. this is NB and not much happens....so I told them he was an engineer from Bathurst. Quite a while later they asked me if everyone from Ireland (they had several tries at the word) speaks French? They thought I'd been talking about Belfast! I can't say 'Bath', evidently. I'd even been waiving my hands and saying 'Northern Coast' and they still had no clue...it chips away at the self confidence though!

I won't go to Subway or Pitta Pit, it's just too bloody stressful, I went in there with a NZ friend and we about brought the place to a standstill. Somedays I can see an amusing side, but others it's just, tiring and stupid...they need newcomers in Atlantic Canada, but if every one of us is going to have to explain our life story in order to get a wholewheat roll they will ultimately give up.

I have lived successfully in a number of societies where I have been happy and accepted...I tend to feel that my sense of isolation here is a 'their' problem, not a 'my' problem now, and perhaps they should address their small minded insularity at some point.

When I get bored I go and talk to myself in the Mirrow.
My father in law is from NB. He is 85 and I think he left NB when he was about 23/24 to head to QC and then Ontario. It is still 'home' to him and he has tried to convince all 3 children and his 6 grandchildren to go to UNB like he did. His youngest daughter went for 1 year from Ontario in the late 80's and lasted a year before she quit and went to university in Ontario. She found NB to be too parochial and isolated for her. I've visited a number of times with my wife and her family and it is pleasant in small doses but I don't think I'd want to live there.
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:29 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I've visited a number of times with my wife and her family and it is pleasant in small doses but I don't think I'd want to live there.
Never have so few words summed up my situation to a 'T'. There are some really super people here who feel empassioned about this place growing and I feel that one needs to be optimistic, but that's as a middle aged, middle class Brit, how in hell these blinkered and backward attitudes would make a Korean or anybody of colour feel, I shudder to think...and yes there are places that are completely colour blind and welcoming to every difference in Canada - but not here in NB.
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I shudder to think...and yes there are places that are completely colour blind and welcoming to every difference in Canada - but not here in NB.

Fredericton welcomed the most Syrian newcomers per capita of any Canadian city, and New Brunswick welcomed the most Syrians of any other province

https://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/P...lFestival.aspx
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:38 pm
BE user by choice

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4516303

I hope this link works. I'm always a little unsure.

We have welcomed more newcomers than many other Provinces. The problem is how we ultimately treat them once we've got them here. We can't keep them because we make them feel less than welcome.
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:38 pm
BE user by choice

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4516303

I hope this link works. I'm always a little unsure.

We have welcomed more newcomers than many other Provinces. The problem is how we ultimately treat them once we've got them here. We can't keep them because we make them feel less than welcome.
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:58 pm
Oscar nominated

Well that's disappointing to read. Without trying to understate matters or resort to whataboutery, it's a regular topic on BE. Outside of places like Toronto and Montreal is it any worse than in other parts? Calgary...Oakville...Peterborough...Hamilton...

Edited to add

A quick google on racism schools ontario suggests the same thing in schools and Universities there.

Perhaps this is one of those complaints that blights everywhere?

Last edited by BristolUK; May 3rd 2018 at 11:05 pm.
Old May 4th 2018, 12:27 am
BE user by choice

Regrettably yes I fear...so back on topic...I will resort to my 'mirrow' for a response! Why would the word mirror be such a challenge? The Mall remains a constant irritant..for me...I just can't make the right sound... I live opposite Edinburugh Street...now that gives them lots of challenges...as does Connaught Street, where our nearest primary school is...knickers in a twist over how to say it is a daily debate...
Old May 4th 2018, 12:34 am
Oscar nominated

...Connaught Street......
We have one of those. It seems to be Kunnaht.

I wonder how that's Taht in schools
Old May 4th 2018, 12:56 am
BE user by choice

That's what I go for...but it grates!
Old May 4th 2018, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There's a mischievous part of me that wants to express surprise they know where Belfast is.
God's own city!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.