Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

8hrs to kill in LHR / London

8hrs to kill in LHR / London

Old Sep 1st 2007, 8:13 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 8hrs to kill in LHR / London

What about getting a flight to Belfast and coming and meeting all the NI expats for a while
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Rent a car and do a quick circuit of the M25
He said he only had 8 hours

Penny
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

The National gallery.

I wish I had made the time to visit before I left.

Penny
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:37 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

You can get a bus to Windsor from the airport. You can see the castle and walk round the town as it is all beside the castle. Much closer than going into London and more pleasant too. Lots of restaurants, and you can walk across the bridge to Eton.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thks for all advice.

There's me, who is British and reasonably familiar with London & my colleague Gord who is Canadian and been a couple of times. We're flying scum class so no automatic lounge access. Anyone know if there's any kind of lounge one can buy one's way into in LHR?

Tube/Train to London and a wander around plus a pub lunch and a couple of decent pints sounds favourite. The 10hrs to Joburg. Still we have planned all day Tuesday to recover before starting work on Weds. It's a flying visit as we're out of there Friday night. I then get a few days in UK before returning to the Rock the following week.

Oh the glamour of the international business traveller!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Thks for all advice.

There's me, who is British and reasonably familiar with London & my colleague Gord who is Canadian and been a couple of times. We're flying scum class so no automatic lounge access. Anyone know if there's any kind of lounge one can buy one's way into in LHR?

Tube/Train to London and a wander around plus a pub lunch and a couple of decent pints sounds favourite. The 10hrs to Joburg. Still we have planned all day Tuesday to recover before starting work on Weds. It's a flying visit as we're out of there Friday night. I then get a few days in UK before returning to the Rock the following week.

http://www.loungepass.com/

If you google lounge pass you get lots, I think even Airline Network has lounge passes for sale on their website.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Thks for all advice.

Ax, the paid-for lounges at LHR suck big time - the BA lounge is good but you can only get into it if either you or Gord has a silver BA Exec Club card or one from the same frequent flyer group.

IMHO - you'll be much better off getting out of LHR for the day -assuming your luggage is checked through so it won't be an issue. It's dead cheap for the allzones day travel card and you can pick up tube map etc. at the airport and decide what you really want to see/do and take it from there. Have a great flight etc.

The 10hr flight to Joburg is actually quite bearable... both BA and SAA take off around 2130 and serve dinner pdq once you're at cruising altitude, and then you can sleep until you land at 0630 and it's the same time zone as London so no jetlag. Plus Joburg airport is newly modernised and ab fab and could teach LHR a thing or two.