Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

2020 - movies seen this year

2020 - movies seen this year

Old Apr 28th 2022, 10:49 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 - movies seen this year

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We (Mrs P, little Miss P (15), and me) went to see Everything Everywhere all at Once last weekend. I really enjoyed it, and was not disappointed. I don't go to see a lot of films at the cinema, but I still like to go from time to time, and this one was worth the trip and the price of the ticket. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a quirky film, and anyone who is tired of Star Wars and superhero films!

Mrs P and little Miss P also enjoyed it, but not as much as I did - I think seeing too many Star Wars and superhero films has rotted their brains.
That does look good. I always like attempts in film to visualise the multiverse. Interstellar did a good job of that (speaking as a primitive ape).
Old May 19th 2022, 2:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We (Mrs P, little Miss P (15), and me) went to see Everything Everywhere all at Once last weekend. I really enjoyed it, and was not disappointed. I don't go to see a lot of films at the cinema, but I still like to go from time to time, and this one was worth the trip and the price of the ticket. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a quirky film, and anyone who is tired of Star Wars and superhero films!

Mrs P and little Miss P also enjoyed it, but not as much as I did - I think seeing too many Star Wars and superhero films has rotted their brains.
I really wish that I had smoked a blunt before watching that movie last night. It was a crazy ride!
Old Aug 30th 2022, 9:11 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Two cinema trips in the space of a week.

First, "My Old School" - Alan Cumming stars in a comedy/docudrama which is the bizarre but true story of a man who returned to his old high school just outside Glasgow at the age of 32, pretending to be a 15 year old. Even had some of the same teachers there!! This happened in the mid-90s.

Second, "Official Competition" - absolutely brilliant Spanish film starring Penelope Cruz and Antonia Banderas about a batshit-crazy movie director (Cruz) and two ego-driven lead actors rehearsing a new movie. Recommended!
Old Aug 30th 2022, 4:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Two cinema trips in the space of a week.

First, "My Old School" - Alan Cumming stars in a comedy/docudrama which is the bizarre but true story of a man who returned to his old high school just outside Glasgow at the age of 32, pretending to be a 15 year old. Even had some of the same teachers there!! This happened in the mid-90s.
And it used to be a recurring dream of mine. Someone in the education department had discovered that I had left school six months too soon and that I had to go back - as an adult - to complete the time.
Second, "Official Competition" - absolutely brilliant Spanish film starring Penelope Cruz and Antonia Banderas about a batshit-crazy movie director (Cruz) and two ego-driven lead actors rehearsing a new movie. Recommended!
Yes that was excellent. I saw it on the strength of the Guardian review last week - not that I needed much persuasion to watch something with Penelope Cruz in.

That whole rock thing was brilliant.

It's a long time since I saw it but I think Robert Altman's The Player makes a good companion piece.
Old Aug 31st 2022, 10:52 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Nope was a nope for me. Bloody awful movie.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 3:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Nope was a nope for me. Bloody awful movie.
IMDB can be so weird sometimes.
User reviews seem quite damning but it gets a user rating of 7.1 which is quite good for that site.
Old Jan 26th 2023, 7:52 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The Bank of Dave - excellent!!!
Old Jan 27th 2023, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The Bank of Dave - excellent!!!
Which version the Netflix one or the 3 x episodes on Youtube using the real Dave?

Hi I'm Dave from Burnley and **** the FSA.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Which version the Netflix one or the 3 x episodes on Youtube using the real Dave?

Hi I'm Dave from Burnley and **** the FSA.
We watched the Netflix film a couple of nights ago and it was brilliant, the bank is still going strong.
Old Jan 30th 2023, 7:27 am
Lowering the tone

Went to see The Fabelmans at the weekend. There's a lot of hype about it being Spielberg's masterpiece but I found it quite underwhelming. Very very slow, no real character development, and at 2 and a half hours, it's easily an hour too long. Some people got up and left halfway through which I've not seen in a cinema for a very long time. I nearly joined them.

On the positive side, Michelle Williams was utterly outstanding, a wonderful performance as "Spielberg's" mum.
Old Apr 21st 2023, 7:23 am
Lowering the tone

I haven't posted in this thread for a while because it seems nobody else is going to the movies

We've recently been to the cinema to see a couple of National Theatre Live screenings of plays at other theatres... a really excellent idea. The play is livestreamed in cinema quality and the photography is magnificent, it's a great production.

First we went to see The Life of Pi which was superb - the athleticism of the performance and the animal puppetry were outstanding. The set was minimal but the sense of immersion in the story was incredible. If you ever get the chance to see this show you must.

Last night we went to see Good, a play by CP Taylor, starring David Tennant. It's about how easy it is for good people to become blind to evil. Set from pre-WW2 to mid-WW2, it's the story of 2 German friends, one a Jew and the other a university professor. Neither of them are fans of the Nazi regime, however, sometimes one can convince oneself that pragmatism is more important than principles... with inevitable consequences. How easy to take the easy route of compliance instead of fighting against wrong. Written by CP Taylor in the 80s, it seems even more apt than ever in today's bitter and polarised world. Make sure you're on the right side, kids. It was brilliant, by the way.
Old Apr 21st 2023, 1:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Last night we went to see Good, a play by CP Taylor, starring David Tennant. It's about how easy it is for good people to become blind to evil. Set from pre-WW2 to mid-WW2, it's the story of 2 German friends, one a Jew and the other a university professor. Neither of them are fans of the Nazi regime, however, sometimes one can convince oneself that pragmatism is more important than principles... with inevitable consequences. How easy to take the easy route of compliance instead of fighting against wrong. Written by CP Taylor in the 80s, it seems even more apt than ever in today's bitter and polarised world. Make sure you're on the right side, kids. It was brilliant, by the way.
There's a movie version of this from 2008 with a decent cast. I shall take a look.
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 11:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Otto - Tom Hanks plays a grumpy widower who, deep down, is a decent guy. Darkish comedy, enjoyable. Can't really go wrong with a Tom Hanks film in my view.
Old May 15th 2023, 7:39 am
Lowering the tone

All Quiet on the Western Front.

Harrowing. I was in bits.
Old May 15th 2023, 9:42 pm
Tea Drinker

Air was really good.
Michael Jordan's Mum was a very smart lady to ask for royalties on every pair of Jordan's ever sold, instead of a one off $250k payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.