Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

2009 worst year so far?

2009 worst year so far?

Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 worst year so far?

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Can't go there!
Why on earth not? I'm not asking the make/model of the aircraft or who you work for, just what went wrong to kill both engines at the same time.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm not asking the make/model of the aircraft or who you work for
Novo wants the mechanics of it all.

We want the rest - the dirt - so please feel free to name the make/model and who you work for
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:23 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Can't go there!
Then don't bring it up then secret squirrel otherwise you kind of look like an a$$
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Then don't bring it up then secret squirrel otherwise you kind of look like an a$$
Well, yes, I suppose so. He did mention it first.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rae
finally today because i have upset 1 person on our 20 man football team, who i refuse to apologise to out of principle, i have been kicked out. (apparently these were not a bunch of grown men but big girls in disguise)
I'm on a 20 person 'oldtimers' team here in Ottawa and for this year we cut 8 players (and added 8). Luckily I was not one of the 8 cut, but it lead to some rather nasty emails etc. Two of the players cut were dropped due to their attitude. The politics of it are amazing.

Thankfully the ratio of hypenated to non-hyphenated players has increased (I think we are at about 75% now).
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:49 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by clynnog
I'm on a 20 person 'oldtimers' team here in Ottawa and for this year we cut 8 players (and added 8). Luckily I was not one of the 8 cut, but it lead to some rather nasty emails etc. Two of the players cut were dropped due to their attitude. The politics of it are amazing.

Thankfully the ratio of hypenated to non-hyphenated players has increased (I think we are at about 75% now).
In this context, I suppose you're all player-coaches?
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:50 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
It is not a big secret, just under investigation. Flame out can occur for a variety of reasons, usually compressor stall, icing, extreme precip. fuel starvation etc.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...on/q0293.shtml

The thread was about 2009 worst year so far, did not think it particulalry required an explanation.

It is not a common occurance, it does happen more frequntly in millitary ops than civil flights, due largely to the more extreme manouveres of military aircraft.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:56 am
Born again atheist

It is not a big secret, just under investigation. Flame out can occur for a variety of reasons, usually compressor stall, icing, extreme precip. fuel starvation etc.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...on/q0293.shtml

The thread was about 2009 worst year so far, did not think it particulalry required an explanation.

It is not a common occurance, it does happen more frequntly in millitary ops than civil flights, due largely to the more extreme manouveres of military aircraft.
There, that wasn't so hard, was it?

Thanks for the link.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:09 am
Born again atheist

Now, though, I'm more curious. Your link suggested that your problem was caused by icing conditions aloft. (or perhaps during ascent/descent?).

Why would more extreme manoeuvres play a role?
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:56 am
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Now, though, I'm more curious. Your link suggested that your problem was caused by icing conditions aloft. (or perhaps during ascent/descent?).

Without a diagram it's hard to explain but an engine has an air release valve in between the propellors and the combustion chamber during heavy manoevers the air release can essentially block which can cause the engine to stall. This is one problem that sticks out in my memory.

I can't quite remember all the technicals regarding the topic but it stands out in my mind.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:10 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by livermanl
Without a diagram it's hard to explain but an engine has an air release valve in between the propellors and the combustion chamber during heavy manoevers the air release can essentially block which can cause the engine to stall. This is one problem that sticks out in my memory.

I can't quite remember all the technicals regarding the topic but it stands out in my mind.
Propellors? Do you mean compressor? 'Cos I think Monsieur Aviator was flying a jet.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:12 am
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Propellors? Do you mean compressor? 'Cos I think Monsieur Aviator was flying a jet.
Didn't know how familiar with the component names you were so I put it in the easiest term I could think of. I apoligise.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:47 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

An abrupt maneuver can disrupt the airflow into the intake and cause a compressor stall or flameout. This is not the same a car engine stalling, i.e. stopping working, an aerodynamic stall is airflow.

There are a number of reasons a compressor can stall and there are safeguards built in, so it is a rare occurrence, but can happen. The highest risk for civil airliners is when a foreign object is ingested, such as birds, volcanic ash and extreme icing (deicers usually prevent this).

A compressor stall can cause catastrophic damage to the engine and the owners get really upset, unless its the government and they have lots of engines and if not they buy more.

We did not have a catastrophic failure so much as the candle went out.

This shows how a compressor works. http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/caxial.html

http://www.thaitechnics.com/engine/e...struction.html

Last edited by Aviator; Apr 5th 2009 at 3:09 am.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:14 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

And back to Rae - big hugs x x x
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate odd numbered years, for me bad things seem to always happen in odd numbered years, dunno why.

So far this year:

I was laid off (technically it was 2008 but 3 days before '09)
I had the car repossessed as I had no job to make payments.
I lost my apartment..
I haven't had 1 job interview yet.
I was denied EI as I had no worked enough hours in 2009 to qualify.

I think that's about it, all that I can remember right now.

I decided to try and go back to school, applied for loans yesterday, just waiting to see if I qualify for enough to cover some living expenses as well as tuition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.