British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   2009 worst year so far? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/2009-worst-year-so-far-601691/)

rae Apr 3rd 2009 10:46 am

2009 worst year so far?

in no particular order.

wife loses job.
new job is 20k a year pay drop and terrible. have to cancel holiday, pension and business plans.
wife has illness and medical conditions reappear from several years ago.
wife has massive fall out with best friend, possibly unresolvable.
daughter fails important exam at school.
daughter miserable now more than ever, wants to see grandparents.
i get 3k tax bill
i am down 250.00 per mth to make up tax difference i should have been paying.
buy new car, goes wrong immediately.
get it back goes wrong again, lose it for 2 weeks and they give me a shitfire as a loaner.
drop garage door on rear of new car causing huge scratch
fed up in work give serious consideration to going home, makes everyone miserable
get told cannot go back to old job as i have been living out of the country for too long
lose around 80k in value on house

and finally today because i have upset 1 person on our 20 man football team, who i refuse to apologise to out of principle, i have been kicked out. (apparently these were not a bunch of grown men but big girls in disguise)

i am waiting for my arm to drop off by june just to keep me ticking over.

so hows it been for everyone else?

on a side note due to the above i have lambasted some on here without just reason, to novo i publicly apologise.

livermanl Apr 3rd 2009 11:17 am

Re: 2009 worst year so far?

Originally Posted by rae (Post 7449668)
in no particular order.

wife loses job.
new job is 20k a year pay drop and terrible. have to cancel holiday, pension and business plans.
wife has illness and medical conditions reappear from several years ago.
wife has massive fall out with best friend, possibly unresolvable.
daughter fails important exam at school.
daughter miserable now more than ever, wants to see grandparents.
i get 3k tax bill
i am down 250.00 per mth to make up tax difference i should have been paying.
buy new car, goes wrong immediately.
get it back goes wrong again, lose it for 2 weeks and they give me a shitfire as a loaner.
drop garage door on rear of new car causing huge scratch
fed up in work give serious consideration to going home, makes everyone miserable
get told cannot go back to old job as i have been living out of the country for too long
lose around 80k in value on house

and finally today because i have upset 1 person on our 20 man football team, who i refuse to apologise to out of principle, i have been kicked out. (apparently these were not a bunch of grown men but big girls in disguise)

i am waiting for my arm to drop off by june just to keep me ticking over.

so hows it been for everyone else?

on a side note due to the above i have lambasted some on here without just reason, to novo i publicly apologise.

I'm so sorry you obviously had a bad time of late i hope it gets better in the future...

To cheer you up slightly though I have to drive a shitfire cause it's what I own :o

Oink Apr 3rd 2009 11:23 am

Sorry to hear about your bad luck old man. Move to Vancouver, I can see the sea.

Novocastrian Apr 3rd 2009 11:26 am

Oh shit.

livermanl quoted you rae otherwise I wouldn't have seen that.

Apology accepted.

Ignore list -1.

livermanl Apr 3rd 2009 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7449767)
Oh shit.

livermanl quoted you rae otherwise I wouldn't have seen that.

Apology accepted.

Ignore list -1.

:rofl: Can I be rude enough to ask what was said?

Novocastrian Apr 3rd 2009 11:28 am

Originally Posted by livermanl (Post 7449769)
:rofl: Can I be rude enough to ask what was said?

You just have been.

livermanl Apr 3rd 2009 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7449771)
You just have been.

I always miss these things...

ann m Apr 3rd 2009 12:14 pm

Rae - Chocolate and beer, mate. Chocolate and beer.

Not necessarily in that order.

With your list of woes, you've just made mr m feel marginally better now - just watch that arm though :sneaky: :D

rae Apr 3rd 2009 12:19 pm

the replies are appreciated, honestly though just posted to see if this is just me having bad luck or is this turning into a sh+toy year for everyone?

rae Apr 3rd 2009 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 7449864)
Rae - Chocolate and beer, mate. Chocolate and beer.

Not necessarily in that order.

With your list of woes, you've just made mr m feel marginally better now - just watch that arm though :sneaky: :D

i am armed with 8 cans of boddingtons and quantum of solace for tonight, never could do beer and chocolate at the same time though.

Oink Apr 3rd 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by rae (Post 7449874)
the replies are appreciated, honestly though just posted to see if this is just me having bad luck or is this turning into a sh+toy year for everyone?

No. Just bought a lovely condominium with a sea view that I wouldn't have been able to afford last year, the local brewery have just brought out a fairly decent IPA at six percent and an extremely nasty and vindictive former colleague was caught in his office by the Dean doing unspeakable things to himself while sucking his thumb. So all in all, a pretty good start to 2009 for me.

Oink Apr 3rd 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by rae (Post 7449880)
i am armed with 8 cans of boddingtons and quantum of solace for tonight, never could do beer and chocolate at the same time though.

Good man. A very sensible and advisable course of action. Maybe order an Indian or pizza as well?

rae Apr 3rd 2009 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 7449895)
No. Just bought a lovely condominium with a sea view that I wouldn't have been able to afford last year, the local brewery have just brought out a fairly decent IPA at six percent and an extremely nasty and vindictive former colleague was caught in his office by the Dean doing unspeakable things to himself while sucking his thumb. So all in all, a pretty good start to 2009 for me.

excellent, nice to see some get their just deserts.

i have looked at victoria several times, as an ex sea faring type i would love nothing better, however i do not think any of my family could cope with the stress of another move, another new house, more trying to find friends and develop relationships, its just too hard and i'm not getting any younger, try as i might to be flexible and 'bend' it becomes more difficult with age i find.

Novocastrian Apr 3rd 2009 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by rae (Post 7449911)
'bend' it becomes more difficult with age i find.

Look on the bright side. Keeping it straight is more and more my problem.

ann m Apr 3rd 2009 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by rae (Post 7449911)
however i do not think any of my family could cope with the stress of another move, another new house, more trying to find friends and develop relationships, its just too hard and i'm not getting any younger, try as i might to be flexible and 'bend' it becomes more difficult with age i find.

That's actually a very valid point. When things are tough, or just 'not right' , does one stick it out, move back to the UK or brave another move that may or may not work out? I hear you. The pull of the familiar seems to overtake the fear of the unknown. Yet we all made the leap once into the unknown so we know we can do it. (It's just that when we got here, it wasn't what we'd hoped for!!)

Ref beer and Quantum - go for it. I don't understand how chocolate doesn't fit into that though. Chocolate goes with everything. :confused: :D