British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The [Formerly] Great British Bake Off (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/%5Bformerly%5D-great-british-bake-off-883675/)

SchnookoLoly Sep 22nd 2016 1:04 pm

The [Formerly] Great British Bake Off

With the recent news now that Mary Berry is leaving GBBO (Great British Bake Off: Mary Berry leaves but Paul Hollywood stays - BBC News) I can't help but marvel at how badly Channel 4 has completely botched this.

The BBC wasn't willing to up their fee for carrying the show... they're currently showing it for I can't remember the number offhand, a few million, they offered £15M but the production company Love Productions (lol) wanted more... and Channel 4 offered them £25M.

You'd think Channel 4 would have checked if the hosts and judges were actually UNDER CONTRACT before ponying up that amount of money.

So GBBO moves to Channel 4, gains commercials, loses hosts Mel and Sue, and now loses Mary Berry. They've at least retained Paul Hollywood. Because he's such a bright and shining personality in the tent. /s

I personally love GBBO but am now watching this season with a hint of sadness as I suspect it'll be the last season that is actually decent, as I suspect it'll go to sh*t when C4 takes it over. Somehow, Paul announcing "Ready, Set, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE" won't have quite the same charming delivery.

Your thoughts?

JamesM Sep 22nd 2016 1:47 pm

Re: The [Formerly] Great British Bake Off

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 12058848)

Your thoughts?

You watch too much TV.

mikelincs Sep 22nd 2016 1:52 pm

I've heard that Jamie Oliver is tipped as a replacement for Mary Berry.

livinginnyc Sep 22nd 2016 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 12058848)
You'd think Channel 4 would have checked if the hosts and judges were actually UNDER CONTRACT before ponying up that amount of money.

I've not read into the legalities, but I suspect they were either tied in for X amount of series, had an exclusivity deal with the beeb (unlikely) or had a break clause for events like if the network changed. Just guessing here.

Stinkypup Sep 22nd 2016 2:47 pm

There does seem to be a lack of looking forward by C4 with regards to the hosts/judges. I like Mel and Sue but I reckon that they could be replaced with someone as good, just slightly different. I had also heard that Jamie Oliver was rumoured to be considering the job, not sure how true that is, I think that he would bring a new edge to it. Hollywood thinks way to much of himself and someone who is IMO a better presenter, if a little irritating at times might bring him back to earth. It isn't like the Top Gear scenario, it will survive and evolve I reckon.

SchnookoLoly Sep 22nd 2016 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12058893)
I've not read into the legalities, but I suspect they were either tied in for X amount of series, had an exclusivity deal with the beeb (unlikely) or had a break clause for events like if the network changed. Just guessing here.

Oh probably... but wouldn't C4 perhaps have conversations with the hosts or generally work out if they can keep the same formula if they take the series? At this point it seems like they're paying an insane amount of money for the title of a show, they could have saved themselves a ton of money by just making a new baking competition show. (See: American Idol / The Voice / America's Got Talent / The X Factor / etc etc etc)

What makes GBBO the GBBO is the judges and hosts. Without them it's just a baking competition show.

Novocastrian Sep 22nd 2016 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12058887)
You watch too much TV.

This. And who the hell are all these people?

SchnookoLoly Sep 22nd 2016 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12058930)
This. And who the hell are all these people?

Whatever! If you don't watch the show then get out of the thread! :lol:

I've posted about ONE show and just curious to know other people's thoughts since none of my friends here watch this show and I'm curious!

BristolUK Sep 22nd 2016 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12058922)
...I like Mel and Sue but I reckon that they could be replaced with someone as good, just slightly different...

Fanny Craddock and The Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr) perhaps? :rofl:

livinginnyc Sep 22nd 2016 3:25 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 12058928)
but wouldn't C4 perhaps have conversations with the hosts

No, it would be between C4 and Love productions execs, Chinese whispers aside I'd assume the talent agents would find out after the fact.

Someone posted this pic on Facebook earlier, I've added it as I think its relevant for you ;)

Novocastrian Sep 22nd 2016 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 12058939)

I've posted about ONE show and just curious to know other people's thoughts since none of my friends here watch this show and I'm curious!

Calm, calm, calm, you'll be just fine in the morning. :nod:

Teaandtoday5 Sep 22nd 2016 5:00 pm

GBBO started the year we moved to Canada so I only started watching last year, after watching the Comic Relief version. Does seem Channel 4 have been sold a pup though, someone must be very cross somewhere over there. Lovely show. And I haven't watched pastry week yet so no spoilers.

SchnookoLoly Sep 22nd 2016 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12059009)
GBBO started the year we moved to Canada so I only started watching last year, after watching the Comic Relief version. Does seem Channel 4 have been sold a pup though, someone must be very cross somewhere over there. Lovely show. And I haven't watched pastry week yet so no spoilers.

Some asshat on my Facebook posted a spoiler, I was beyond pissed. It's a good episode though, I watched it last night. :)

Someone else posted on Facebook "C4 paid £25M for Paul Hollywood and a tent." It made me chuckle. :P

jennellapea Sep 23rd 2016 2:37 am

It'll be different for sure, but I'll probably still watch it. I'm not a big fan of Mel & Sue, find them cringe worthy at times (though I prefer Sue to Mel) so I won't miss them. It's a shame Mary won't be continuing.

Tootlepootle Sep 23rd 2016 4:39 am

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 12058939)

I love it and I think its very sad!

Stinkypup Sep 23rd 2016 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 12059417)
I love it and I think its very sad!

It will still be on though a revamped version- just need to choose the replacements carefully

Siouxie Sep 23rd 2016 7:17 am

There's a petition to get Ainsley Harriott involved (I used to like him on Ready, Steady - Cook) and rumour has it that Jamie has ruled himself out.

:)

Dorothy Sep 23rd 2016 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12059475)
Jamie has ruled himself out.

:)

Thank goodness for small mercies.

moneypenny20 Sep 23rd 2016 10:22 am

Jamie Oliver, Ainsley Harriott? Dear god who next? The stars are supposed to be the contestants, not narcissistic obnoxious loudmouths with no baking skills! Scraping the barrel or what! It's going to be shite :(

macadian Sep 23rd 2016 10:42 am

Many of the participants on this thread really do need to get out more....😉

Oakvillian Sep 23rd 2016 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12059573)
Jamie Oliver, Ainsley Harriott? Dear god who next? The stars are supposed to be the contestants, not narcissistic obnoxious loudmouths with no baking skills! Scraping the barrel or what! It's going to be shite :(

This! This, in spades!
Mary Berry is a baking goddess of long standing. She's in her early 80s (I hadn't realised she was as venerable as all that!) and - although she has written and presented on general cookery topics as well - has been dealing with cake-related stuff for a living for sixty years or so. Neither Oliver nor Harriott have the baking chops to comment as incisively or from such a position of knowledge.

Hollywood, while his style can be a bit grating, is at least a baker of renown. His fellow judge needs to have equally as solid a background in baking. The presenting job is done by the other two; they are the viewers' surrogates, asking the dumb questions and expressing awe at the creations that emerge from the oven; they shouldn't be bakers. But the judges need to know exactly what they're talking about and be able to identify technical faults in the preparation techniques and baking skills of the contestants.

How about one of the previous series' winners coming back to judge the next one? It really doesn't need to be an established star (and, frankly, in the world of GBBO the previous winners are already stars anyway!)

ETA: I haven't watched any of the current season; I watched most of last summer's after my mum had persuaded us to find it on iPlayer while she visited... after she returned to the UK I found myself watching the last few episodes to see how it finished. It's a proper BBC show - unashamedly middle-class, a spirit of friendly competition, carries out the Reithian inform-educate-entertain thing well enough. Can't see how it fits C4's brand style at all. I suppose the production company will cut the cloth to fit the new frame...

jennellapea Sep 23rd 2016 4:29 pm

They could re-brand it, get Gordon Ramsay on it, have him shouting "IT'S RAW!!!!!" and sell it to the US TV market lol.

I mean I hope to god they don't, but I think anything can happen when it's C4.

Stinkypup Sep 24th 2016 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12059537)
Thank goodness for small mercies.

Ya Miserable auld trout :cool:

Dorothy Sep 24th 2016 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12060290)
Ya Miserable auld trout :cool:

I ****ing hate Jamie Oliver and his smug fat face.

sharkus Sep 24th 2016 11:21 am

I hear Chris Evans might be available. He's done C4 before, so there's a feather in his cap. He ****ed up one great show, so why not continue a tradition.

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 24th 2016 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12060399)
I ****ing hate Jamie Oliver and his smug fat face.

Me too!

I've only just started watching it, so I probably won't miss it.

Dorothy Sep 24th 2016 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12060414)
Me too!

I've only just started watching it, so I probably won't miss it.

I do love Mary Berry though. The first time we saw the bakeoff my son said "Hey, that's grandma on the tv". The resemblance between my mom and Mary is remarkable.

Oh and Paul Hollywood is a bit of alright IMO.

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 24th 2016 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12060422)
I do love Mary Berry though. The first time we saw the bakeoff my son said "Hey, that's grandma on the tv". The resemblance between my mom and Mary is remarkable.

Oh and Paul Hollywood is a bit of alright IMO.

I like Mary Berry too. I'm also a fan of Paul Hollywood and those gorgeous blue eyes :flirtyeyes::wub:.

Perhaps I should go for Mary's job. After all I did go to catering college and have a degree in Home Economics :nod:

Dorothy Sep 24th 2016 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12060427)
I like Mary Berry too. I'm also a fan of Paul Hollywood and those gorgeous blue eyes :flirtyeyes::wub:.

Perhaps I should go for Mary's job. After all I did go to catering college and have a degree in Home Economics :nod:

My partner has the Paul Hollywood blue eyes and salt & pepper hair. :wub:

I always thought that I would like to teach home economics.

not2old Oct 27th 2016 11:50 am

for the fans of the show, season 7 has just ended - so do you want to watch it before it shown on PBS?

Project Free TV :: The Great British Bake Off Season 7

BTW, the winner is

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37786108

MillieF Oct 27th 2016 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12088588)
for the fans of the show, season 7 has just ended - so do you want to watch it before it shown on PBS?

BTW, the winner is

The Great British Bake Off reaches record audience - BBC News

I hope we get it on PBS, it's a wonder Netflix hasn't got it.

I too am a fan of Mary, and Paul and fear that Jamie O would be ghastly!

I need to get out more, but am not exactly spoiled for choice here...I was asked if I wanted to join 'some girls' for radio bingo recently :unsure: hell, and you wonder why I prefer GBBO...

Stinkypup Oct 27th 2016 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12088588)

BTW, the winner is

The Great British Bake Off reaches record audience - BBC News

I streamed it on Exodus , via Kodi, as an alternative .

Piff Poff Oct 27th 2016 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12088922)
I hope we get it on PBS, it's a wonder Netflix hasn't got it.

I too am a fan of Mary, and Paul and fear that Jamie O would be ghastly!

I need to get out more, but am not exactly spoiled for choice here...I was asked if I wanted to join 'some girls' for radio bingo recently :unsure: hell, and you wonder why I prefer GBBO...

Ive been watching it on You Tube

BristolUK Oct 27th 2016 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Doctor Stinkypup to patient
Hello, I haven't seen you for a while...

Originally Posted by Patient
No...I've been ill

:lol:

Although in this case the doctor was missing for a while. :nod:

Stinkypup Oct 28th 2016 2:07 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12089231)

I was in stealth mode ;)

Stinkypup Oct 28th 2016 2:08 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12089231)

I was in stealth mode ;) The key to being a good doctor sometimes is to listen, observe and not open yer gob

MillieF Oct 29th 2016 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12089195)
Ive been watching it on You Tube

Piff Poff I owe you a very large drink and a very big hug :drinkingwine:

Thank you so very much...I never knew it was on You Tube :o I had a blissed out evening and watched Episode 1 and 2 :starsmile:

Piff Poff Oct 30th 2016 4:38 am

Oh you are more than welcome, I get to watch the final tomorrow :)

mikelincs Oct 30th 2016 6:51 am

The winner was
Spoiler:
the person who was announced as the winner
see it's even safe, this time, to look at the spoiler.

MillieF Oct 30th 2016 9:48 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12090882)
The winner was
Spoiler:
the person who was announced as the winner
see it's even safe, this time, to look at the spoiler.

:thumbup: nice to hear from you Mike!:thumbup: