Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The [Formerly] Great British Bake Off

The [Formerly] Great British Bake Off

Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:04 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default The [Formerly] Great British Bake Off

With the recent news now that Mary Berry is leaving GBBO (Great British Bake Off: Mary Berry leaves but Paul Hollywood stays - BBC News) I can't help but marvel at how badly Channel 4 has completely botched this.

The BBC wasn't willing to up their fee for carrying the show... they're currently showing it for I can't remember the number offhand, a few million, they offered £15M but the production company Love Productions (lol) wanted more... and Channel 4 offered them £25M.

You'd think Channel 4 would have checked if the hosts and judges were actually UNDER CONTRACT before ponying up that amount of money.

So GBBO moves to Channel 4, gains commercials, loses hosts Mel and Sue, and now loses Mary Berry. They've at least retained Paul Hollywood. Because he's such a bright and shining personality in the tent. /s

I personally love GBBO but am now watching this season with a hint of sadness as I suspect it'll be the last season that is actually decent, as I suspect it'll go to sh*t when C4 takes it over. Somehow, Paul announcing "Ready, Set, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE" won't have quite the same charming delivery.

Your thoughts?
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:47 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The [Formerly] Great British Bake Off

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

Your thoughts?
You watch too much TV.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that Jamie Oliver is tipped as a replacement for Mary Berry.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 2:00 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think Channel 4 would have checked if the hosts and judges were actually UNDER CONTRACT before ponying up that amount of money.
I've not read into the legalities, but I suspect they were either tied in for X amount of series, had an exclusivity deal with the beeb (unlikely) or had a break clause for events like if the network changed. Just guessing here.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 2:47 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

There does seem to be a lack of looking forward by C4 with regards to the hosts/judges. I like Mel and Sue but I reckon that they could be replaced with someone as good, just slightly different. I had also heard that Jamie Oliver was rumoured to be considering the job, not sure how true that is, I think that he would bring a new edge to it. Hollywood thinks way to much of himself and someone who is IMO a better presenter, if a little irritating at times might bring him back to earth. It isn't like the Top Gear scenario, it will survive and evolve I reckon.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 22nd 2016 at 2:59 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 2:54 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
I've not read into the legalities, but I suspect they were either tied in for X amount of series, had an exclusivity deal with the beeb (unlikely) or had a break clause for events like if the network changed. Just guessing here.
Oh probably... but wouldn't C4 perhaps have conversations with the hosts or generally work out if they can keep the same formula if they take the series? At this point it seems like they're paying an insane amount of money for the title of a show, they could have saved themselves a ton of money by just making a new baking competition show. (See: American Idol / The Voice / America's Got Talent / The X Factor / etc etc etc)

What makes GBBO the GBBO is the judges and hosts. Without them it's just a baking competition show.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 3:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You watch too much TV.
This. And who the hell are all these people?
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 3:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This. And who the hell are all these people?
Whatever! If you don't watch the show then get out of the thread!

I've posted about ONE show and just curious to know other people's thoughts since none of my friends here watch this show and I'm curious!
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 3:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
...I like Mel and Sue but I reckon that they could be replaced with someone as good, just slightly different...
Fanny Craddock and The Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr) perhaps?
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 3:25 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

but wouldn't C4 perhaps have conversations with the hosts
No, it would be between C4 and Love productions execs, Chinese whispers aside I'd assume the talent agents would find out after the fact.

Someone posted this pic on Facebook earlier, I've added it as I think its relevant for you
Attached Thumbnails The [Formerly] Great British Bake Off-14448927_739460692874204_3855322372281574638_n.jpg  
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 3:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted about ONE show and just curious to know other people's thoughts since none of my friends here watch this show and I'm curious!
Calm, calm, calm, you'll be just fine in the morning.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

GBBO started the year we moved to Canada so I only started watching last year, after watching the Comic Relief version. Does seem Channel 4 have been sold a pup though, someone must be very cross somewhere over there. Lovely show. And I haven't watched pastry week yet so no spoilers.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 5:28 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
GBBO started the year we moved to Canada so I only started watching last year, after watching the Comic Relief version. Does seem Channel 4 have been sold a pup though, someone must be very cross somewhere over there. Lovely show. And I haven't watched pastry week yet so no spoilers.
Some asshat on my Facebook posted a spoiler, I was beyond pissed. It's a good episode though, I watched it last night.

Someone else posted on Facebook "C4 paid £25M for Paul Hollywood and a tent." It made me chuckle. :P
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 2:37 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

It'll be different for sure, but I'll probably still watch it. I'm not a big fan of Mel & Sue, find them cringe worthy at times (though I prefer Sue to Mel) so I won't miss them. It's a shame Mary won't be continuing.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

I love it and I think its very sad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.