Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

$212,000 What to spend it on?

$212,000 What to spend it on?

Old Oct 27th 2017, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default $212,000 What to spend it on?

Now normally we have this discussion in the lunch room or kitchen etc at work about how you would spend your lotto winnings be it the 1 million or 50 million depending if its 6-49 or the Lotto Max.

Give some to family members, donate to worthy causes, buy a new home(s), vehicles, vacations, designer stuff and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Unfortunately this time you have only $212,000 to spend so do your best.

Here is what I would spend the whole amount on

The last Federal Budget cover. Now part of that is spending $89,500 to hire models who would depict the middle class Canadians shown on the cover.
Of course It wouldn't be just any cover as I have to ask Govt officials in the Finance Dept is the ethnic ratio of the models correct and should the boy holding a cartoon bridge symbolizing infrastructure be wearing glasses or not?

But there again Im not the Liberal Party of Canada and that $212,000 isn't my own money to spend. And Yes all Political parties waste money and don't care what they spend as its not their money.
BTW the last PC Budget cover only cost $600.

Andrew Coyne: Bloated, glossy $212,000 federal budget cover a fitting symbol of modern government | National Post

The comments section well its the usual Harper did this but Justin is doing that.

Can someone seriously suggest that spending $212,000 on a book cover is money well spent?
Old Oct 27th 2017, 2:32 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $212,000 What to spend it on?

It's not enough to buy a property and not enough to retire on so I'd probably treat my family (inc parents, sister) to a nice holiday somewhere fancy.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:00 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

there are approx 28,000,000 people over the age of 18 in Canada. Of which there are approx 68,000 federal public civil servants in the union

$212,000/28,000,000 = minuscule

Premier Wynn in Ontario is putting a $4 billion interest charge on the hydro rebate that Ontario folks kept on complaining the cost of hydro was too high

The federal civil service compensation packet increase over the next 12 months makes the $212,000 justification a mere drop in the bucket...chump change

source: National post

On top of the 15 million unused sick days...

The federal government and its largest union have reached a tentative deal that will boost employees’ pay more than 5.5 per cent and keeps the existing sick leave regime while a task force tries to negotiate a new one.

The deal, reached with the Public Service Alliance of Canada Saturday after a six-day bargaining session with a mediator, would boost paycheques of 68,000 public servants working in program and administrative services throughout government and give them a $650 signing bonus once it is ratified by the rank and file.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
there are approx 28,000,000 people over the age of 18 in Canada. Of which there are approx 68,000 federal public civil servants in the union

$212,000/28,000,000 = minuscule

Premier Wynn in Ontario is putting a $4 billion interest charge on the hydro rebate that Ontario folks kept on complaining the cost of hydro was too high

The federal civil service compensation packet increase over the next 12 months makes the $212,000 justification a mere drop in the bucket...chump change

source: National post

On top of the 15 million unused sick days...

The federal government and its largest union have reached a tentative deal that will boost employees’ pay more than 5.5 per cent and keeps the existing sick leave regime while a task force tries to negotiate a new one.

The deal, reached with the Public Service Alliance of Canada Saturday after a six-day bargaining session with a mediator, would boost paycheques of 68,000 public servants working in program and administrative services throughout government and give them a $650 signing bonus once it is ratified by the rank and file.
That almost sounds like a deflection the Liberal Party might use.
Yes Im a member of PSAC however my bargaining unit is not part of that settlement so its now been over 3 years since my last contract expired and the latest talks held on 17 - 18 October resulted in both parties walking away from the Public Interest Commission that was selected after previous bargaining talks reached an impasse.

So Im a Public Servant how is that relevant to this story oh I see Public Servants are a waste of money and insignificant unlike the Budget Book cover.
Perhaps somewhat miffed that we bargained for our pensions and rates of pay etc etc and we are now perceived as the 1%.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

So Im a Public Servant how is that relevant to this story oh I see Public Servants are a waste of money and insignificant unlike the Budget Book cover.

Perhaps somewhat miffed that we bargained for our pensions and rates of pay etc etc and we are now perceived as the 1%.
yes Federal public service workers are a waste of money, as are Provincial & municipal IMO

Outside of the National post article, CBSA worker going on about them being the 1% getting better than average wage, with so many sick days, holidays, loaded healthcare plan, big fat pensions...

https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salary/Cana...es-E107408.htm

while the OAP in Canada get 0% -1%/yr OAS increases on the current $585.49/mth OAS.

The bosses of the public service workers are to blame for the waste that goes in the public sector that the whinging workers complain about.

All while the general public keeps on allowing those in government to waste money

So yes, blame the general public for the $212,000, not the idiot that spent it
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do blame the idiot that spent it although Mr Coyne's article might not spell it out in the way I would have written it.
BTW I also pay my taxes on my bloated salary, I also put a pittance towards my defined benefit pension that was bargained for many many years ago, I have forgotten how many years in my 28 yrs of current service or my previous 13 years of public service in the UK I never took a sick day or used the loaded healthcare plan that again we bargained for but I digress.

Not all politicians are corrupt or in it for themselves much like all public servants are not parasites.

I think a kid has just kicked a football onto your lawn so go out and pop it
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

FL, I'm having a go at the system

Do you agree with the 25 years & out proposal, if so then you are done should the bargaining unit get it approved, passed & accepted.

Without proof - ALL & I say ALL politicians are corrupt parasite blood suckers which I think flows down the line to the workers.

https://www.ciu-sdi.ca

Are you in the FB group bargaining unit or other?

Public Service Alliance of Canada
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by not2old
FL, I'm having a go at the system

Do you agree with the 25 years & out proposal, if so then you are done should the bargaining unit get it approved, passed & accepted.

Without proof - ALL & I say ALL politicians are corrupt parasite blood suckers which I think flows down the line to the workers.

https://www.ciu-sdi.ca

Are you in the FB group bargaining unit or other?

Public Service Alliance of Canada
Im in the FB group.
The 25 and out is not part of bargaining so therefore has to be done a different way. Federally the RCMP and Corrections have that option and on retiring after 25 yrs you only get 50% of the pension. Most police forces also have this with a few others. Many retire then find another job to supplement their pension as many are still only in their 50s when retiring. Do the public really expect 57 year old coppers to be chasing after the youth of today.

Now I will be the first to admit that our Agency is Law Enforcement but not Police.
We do carry firearms but we don't have the 25 and out yet. Every 3 years they have to do a full recertification of self defence and firearms and still do a one day qualifying shoot every year. Once you get into your 50s and up it becomes a strain and numerous injuries can occur when being thrown to the mat by a 25 yr old officer weighing 250 pounds plus and in peak physical condition

I know you are not personally having a go at me its just the usual banter about public servants.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

$212,000, if it's tax free, would finance a nice car. I should think a prudent shopper would be able to get a series 1 1/2 E type OTS in very good condition. It's never tax free though, is it?
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
$212,000, if it's tax free, would finance a nice car. I should think a prudent shopper would be able to get a series 1 1/2 E type OTS in very good condition. It's never tax free though, is it?
Well lotto winning are tax free until you deposit them Once you start buying stuff then you pay a myriad of taxes and you even pay extra for certain paint colours on the Jag. Don't forget to pay for the block heater as well.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:24 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'd use it for downpayment on mortgage, say 200k, and use the rest for other house purchasing costs (land transfer tax, legal fees, stuff like that).
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Im in the FB group.
Do the public really expect 57 year old coppers to be chasing after the youth of today.

I know you are not personally having a go at me its just the usual banter about public servants.
I suppose after 10 years as a police officer the 'fat ugly donut faced lazy arse' (thanks to its good union) is a teen criminal dream. Police officer, Firefighter, EMS all whinging PTSD

Then there is the Toronto transit commission workers, slovenly, fat, couldn't give a crap, late, drunk, druggies, asleep on the job... quasi public servant.

...WTF, aren't modern day unions the bees & ees

Wait till I get going on those that work in the health care system

As I posted, it's from the top down.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would give it all to my daughter. She would get it one day anyway...I would rather be around to see her enjoy it.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

On the OP question 'what would you spend $212,000 on'?

I wouldn't spend it or give any of it away - i'd stick it in a 2.5% high interest savings account at wealthonebankofcanada

https://www.wealthonebankofcanada.co...motion/HISA25/
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone seriously suggest that spending $212,000 on a book cover is money well spent?
To be fair, a company I worked for in the UK once spent $80,000 on a logo which looked like they'd got someone's kid to redraw a competitor's logo with a couple of crayons and put our name in there instead. Everyone hated it and it was abandoned after a few months.

So it's probably a better deal than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.