Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Utilities in Gozo

Utilities in Gozo

Old Aug 29th 2014, 10:18 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
CWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utilities in Gozo

In preparation of our potential move to Gozo, would some kind person give me some idea on what utilities companies I need to connect with once I am living there.

For example:

  • Gas
  • Electricity
  • Telephone
  • TV
  • Water
  • Rates (rubbish)
  • what else?
Thank you in advance for some helpful advice.

Caroline
CWaters is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:31 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,782
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

Originally Posted by CWaters View Post
In preparation of our potential move to Gozo, would some kind person give me some idea on what utilities companies I need to connect with once I am living there.

For example:


  • Gas
Gas is handled by Enemalta and is usually automatically hooked up although I cannot say for certain.
  • Electricity
Don't quite know on electrics sorry but I'd guess its similar to Gas
  • Telephone
Use Melita (www.melita.com) for Telephone, TV and internet. GO's rates are rubbish in comparison and melita is just as good if not better as it is cable rather than DSL.

  • TV
  • Water
See gas and electrics

  • Rates (rubbish)
? Council tax ?
  • what else?
Don't forget your mowbajl / mobile phone - I use Vodafone on prepaid with the Top up and Get Freebee. www.vodafone.com.mt
Thank you in advance for some helpful advice.

Caroline
I tried to answer your queries in bold above. Hope this helps and good luck on your move to Malta
Gozit is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:15 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: within the GTA, Canada
Posts: 6,608
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

to add to this

Cost of Living in Malta. Prices in Malta. Updated Sep 2014
not2old is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:25 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,782
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

Good link but the rent is WAY off. For that money you're getting a high end apt (which is good!) but there are cheaper alternatives. Check Frank Salt Real Estate Malta for rent
Gozit is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:59 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: within the GTA, Canada
Posts: 6,608
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

Agree with you Gozit & you have provided a wealth of information on Gozo & Malta to these threads

The link that I posted in post 3 is an average for the whole of Malta including Gozo. Of course living in Valetta or St Julians, rent is more expensive than other parts of the two islands, including your lifestyle choices.

From my own research & with folks that I know that live or have lived there - A retired senior Brit couple on OAP living in Malta all year round without any side trips or excursions to Italy, somewhere else or to visit the UK should budget in 2014 money approx €1000/mth (£750) flat across 12 mths, give or take a few pennies for a basic lifestyle & without a car, using public transit with medical covered under the EU.

€400-€500/mth for rent 2-bedroom furnished
€120-€150/mth. All utilities, including TV/phone/internet (no A/C & basic heating)
€300-€500/mth for groceries + a meal or two out

If others have input on the cost of living, please post your personal experience.

All of the above numbers changes if you move to Malta to work, are single, have children, retire early with a good income.

There some rich seniors, others in the UK that are on basic state pension, others with pension credit, AA & housing allowance.

Each to their own choices for a place in the sun - whether its Malta, Portugal, Spain or the Far East

Last edited by not2old; Sep 18th 2014 at 5:02 pm.
not2old is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:29 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: within the GTA, Canada
Posts: 6,608
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
Good link but the rent is WAY off. For that money you're getting a high end apt (which is good!) but there are cheaper alternatives. Check Frank Salt Real Estate Malta for rent
of the following three maisonette rentals - which one would you prefer?

Frank Salt Real Estate Malta

Frank Salt Real Estate Malta

Frank Salt Real Estate Malta
not2old is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:21 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,782
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

In all honesty, this one Frank Salt Real Estate Malta

Its newer and has a lot of light shining in. One thing I notice about most properties is the lack of sunlight shining in which makes it look rather bland and yellow.

But I wouldn't rent it because it doesn't have air con.
Gozit is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:24 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,782
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

Originally Posted by not2old View Post
Agree with you Gozit & you have provided a wealth of information on Gozo & Malta to these threads

The link that I posted in post 3 is an average for the whole of Malta including Gozo. Of course living in Valetta or St Julians, rent is more expensive than other parts of the two islands, including your lifestyle choices.

From my own research & with folks that I know that live or have lived there - A retired senior Brit couple on OAP living in Malta all year round without any side trips or excursions to Italy, somewhere else or to visit the UK should budget in 2014 money approx €1000/mth (£750) flat across 12 mths, give or take a few pennies for a basic lifestyle & without a car, using public transit with medical covered under the EU.

€400-€500/mth for rent 2-bedroom furnished
€120-€150/mth. All utilities, including TV/phone/internet (no A/C & basic heating)
€300-€500/mth for groceries + a meal or two out

If others have input on the cost of living, please post your personal experience.

All of the above numbers changes if you move to Malta to work, are single, have children, retire early with a good income.

There some rich seniors, others in the UK that are on basic state pension, others with pension credit, AA & housing allowance.

Each to their own choices for a place in the sun - whether its Malta, Portugal, Spain or the Far East
Yeah that sums up what I thought about cost of living.
Gozit is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:24 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,782
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

Yay, we've been able to have a discussion on the Malta forum that wasn't just someone posting a question, me answering, and the poster never coming back!
Gozit is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:22 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: within the GTA, Canada
Posts: 6,608
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
Yay, we've been able to have a discussion on the Malta forum that wasn't just someone posting a question, me answering, and the poster never coming back!
now its a wait & see if the OP that started the last few threads 'C Waters' & 'oldgeezer' come back with any questions.... or, to the info we have provided eh!
not2old is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:25 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,782
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

Originally Posted by not2old View Post
now its a wait & see if the OP that started the last few threads 'C Waters' & 'oldgeezer' come back with any questions.... or, to the info we have provided eh!
Yeah
Gozit is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:04 pm
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: within the GTA, Canada
Posts: 6,608
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities in Gozo

and of course cost & types of places to rent - Frank Salt & Belair already mentioned.

I am adding another (not an endorsement or a plug - found on a google search) which gives you a great overview with really good picture as well as basic location info

Long-let Rentals - Gozo Prime Properties

click on a part of the map below to get an overview of the area + property prices.

Explore Gozo - Gozo Prime Properties

There is also many really good videos of Gozo on youtube. Do the youtube/gozo
not2old is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.