Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Do not retire to Malta/Gozo

Do not retire to Malta/Gozo

Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do not retire to Malta/Gozo

This is my rant ... I am serious about this. If you are a retired Brit or pensioner, then my advice to you is 'do not' retire to Malta/Gozo.

You'll have people with Maltese connections that are of Maltese descent or who speak the language that will say otherwise.

Malta is for short term stays, even a visit - but do not (I say this strongly) sell the castle/farm that you have spent most of your life living in, because the place in the sun has more drawbacks than any positives that it has to offer.

Just look at folks that sold up and moved and bought in Spain, Greece, Portugal and other places. The horror stories & of course most likely is the whinging pom syndrome.

Of course you could rent in Malta, the issue with that is the landlords, utility companies, the local government will likely take you for a ride and/or treat you so bad (the system will bog you down) - the frustration will make you wish you were back were you belong.

That said, I'm sure there are ex-pats living in Malta that don't know any better, or who are there wishing they could leave - unfortunately some of those folks cannot afford to live anywhere else.

Is Malta/Gozo place in the sun cheap by comparison to other places, is it safe by comparison? Well its small, with a total 400,000 population with 31,000 living in Gozo. Its no longer a British colony of sort, non-English speaking migrants many from Africa, as are asylum seekers are starting to flood the place. Is the safety of the residents of Malta & Gozo at risk? I would say yes.

Malta has opened its doors to 'buy your way in', easy residency & citizenship.

Before considering Malta as your residence, you have to ask yourself 'why' when most all other civilized countries impose strict restrictions on people wanting to reside or emigrate in. Malta cannot cope with whats happening, things can only get worse.

Do your research
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do not retire to Malta/Gozo

Trust me mate, Malta has the some of the strictest regs around.

If you are a non-EU, the only way to achieve permanent residence in Malta is by

a) being a "boat person" - protected by the EU so you cannot be deported back to your home country because it is a risk
b) Marriage to a Maltese citizen - this will give you an "exempt person status" stamp in your passport and after 5 years of marriage you can apply for Maltese citizenship. Note that you can apply for Maltese citizenship after 5 years of marriage regardless of country of residence. You could never have stepped foot in Malta and register as a citizen after 5 years of marriage if you so choose.

If you aren't in category A or B, and you aren't an EU citizen, you basically cannot have permanent residence in Malta. They'll give you temp. permits but after 4 years make you go on an unofficial "gardening leave" ie they refuse your permit for no reason other than to stop you from becoming resident for 5 continuous years and then achieve permanent residence.

If you aren't married to a Maltese and you don't have money then you can forget ever naturalising/registering as a Maltese citizen also. There are some people who have lived in Malta 20+ years and they won't let them naturalise.

Now, this all doesn't apply, like you say, if you have EUR1,000,000 to invest. Then, oh, that changes things.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:39 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

of course all of that Gozit. My point is 'different strokes for different folks'

A retiree has expectations, usually along the lines of 'risk free living, no troubles, no noise, away from those tourists, good healthcare, good transportation, lowest possible crime & corruption, the ability to get things done, service providers, ease of moving around, low cost living & a climate that meets ones needs'

Malta/Gozo is not for everyone - yet there are lots of ex-pats (relative in numbers for the density) that live in Malta/Gozo. Of course you'll have a mixed range of young people, single, that work, mid-rangers with children, early retirees (below pension age) with fat pensions that can live life to the fullest ,then the whinging old codgers.

I generally view places to live based on personal needs & wants stated above - I also more importantly want to know about as many of the negatives about the place as possible... the gripes, whinges & what will I miss or that which is not available too me away from the place I'm leaving.

If one has the resources, then a few visits is always best before considering a leap of faith. Smell, touch & feel is way better than any web surfing or folks telling you the place in mind is absolutely perfect - no worries, just come here & live.

IMO, its not just about sun & sand

Last edited by not2old; Sep 26th 2014 at 9:46 am.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 2:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Wink Re: Do not retire to Malta/Gozo

To continue....

For those of you retired or not or who are seniors on a government OAP pensions who are contemplating a move to Malta/Gozo, the difficult part is not 'where to live' - its getting the initial leg up, the settlement (unless you have friends & family to help & walk you through it).

I look at a move to anywhere as though I am emigrating. No different than going to OZ, NZ,Canada, SA, the USA or expatriating back to the UK.

For this thread we are talking about a 'place in the sun, as I have already mentioned, some folks move to other European spots.

For Malta/Gozo, I have always looked at it as though I have no ties, never been there, likely maybe for a holiday which does not give one a true 'know it all about living in Malta/Gozo.

So here I am thinking how do I make the initial move - Okay, I know through several web searches, info from other posters on BE (thanks to Gozit for some help) on how to go about getting the government pieces sorted, but what about the initial short to medium stay until I find the place to live.

I don't want to be hassled, ripped off, pushed into something that is not suitable.

So, I have figured out that a short stay in one of those nice (recommenced with good reviews) small all inclusive hotels with fully furnished, kitchen, TV, internet, electricity all included in the off season between November - March (pick your own period to do this) at a cost of around 500/mth euro.

Finally figured it out on how to go about doing a hassle free move for short, medium or long stays in Malta/Gozo almost hassle free. Then if I want permanency, semi-permanency its then up to me.

I could do the 'Hop, skip & a jump' from where we live now - going to the UK first for a few months setting up HRT, then off to a place in the European sun

Last edited by not2old; Sep 27th 2014 at 2:14 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 5:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

choose carefully where you end up retiring to or living in your 'old age', since based on the latest 'Global age watch list' Malta comes in at number 55, way behind the UK at 11th. Must take another look again at those Scandinavian countries

BBC News - Global AgeWatch Index: Norway best for older people

in the table link below, click on any country to get the facts

Global rankings table | Data | Global AgeWatch Index 2014
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

as an over 65 retiree OAP with no family in the UK or in any of those foreign places in the sun, (ask yourself this) 'do I still want to have a connection or tie back to Blighty' - but how do I do that?

Well, its as simple as buying a low cost 'sheltered housing' one bedroom apartment in a nice part of the UK for around £40K pounds or lower. Of course one needs to pay the council tax as well as maintenance fees which will run about £200/mth.

Doing that (or something similar), I would have UK residency, trouble free accommodation should I want to be a world traveler, my own place back home for short or long stays

Maybe resources permitting, I could buy two of them, rent one out (guaranteed income) which would more than pay for the first one carrying charges & extra cash in my pocket.

So, I'm off - recee to wherever - one of those Europe destinations, Portugal, Italy, Andorra, Azores, Malta, Australasia, Goa, even somewhere in the Highlands such as the Isle of Barra for the summer months. Just need to find the right place that meets all of my conditions.

Depending on my income, whether I/we are getting income from investments, private pension, pension credit, AA etc - do I want to lose any of those things, because they're real money in my pocket, or do I want to hang onto my NHS

Right, so I'm healthy, I can take the sun or not, but not too hot, I can & want to maintain my UK benefits, NHS and/or have recipricol healthcare agreements wherever I go to for up to 6-mths at a pop.

At my age I don't want to emigrate permanently [I no longer have a grudge to leave the UK as its nothing to offer], unless of course I had relatives in one of those other places. You'll know or have seen or read about folks that sold their castle/farm up-stakes to move to France, Spain, Portugal, Greece - some horror stories for sure & not all is right with the new surroundings.

So, its a happy medium, one which folks have to work out whether they want a clean full break or some ties back to the UK or whichever country they plan on leaving or simply stay put where you're at & travel for extended periods abroad.

The grass is not always greener nor as happy as folks will tell you living the party life in a place in the sun.

For the ex-pat that has been away from the UK for more than 20 years, may likely be contented just to come 'back home' to live life out in peaceful UK

Last edited by not2old; Oct 4th 2014 at 2:36 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Live in Blighty and have long winter holidays in the sun ? I am not sure about "buying sheltered housing for £40,000". Where can you do that ?
Old Oct 5th 2014, 12:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

To be my final post to this thread brings it full circle. Each to their own lifestyle choices, needs & wants, our requirements are a country & location within it needs to meet a certain criteria to be at least on par with where we live now, otherwise - its off the list.

Location choices: Western Europe, North America or Australasia

Needs to be: safe harbour, majority of the people understand & speak English, stable government & economy, reasonable cost of living, moderate climate, low to zero tax, good available services, healthcare system where they know what they’re doing & are equipped, zero restrictions on entry or exiting the country, safe movement wherever we are, good banking system to move money in & out between countries.

What is not acceptable: in your face crime & corruption, bureaucracy, police state, violence, noise, tourists, domestic animals running all over the place, insects or creatures that bite, poison or that can kill you, extreme climate conditions, expensive cost of living, lifestyle restrictions & lastly, too many Brits hanging around.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
To be my final post to this thread brings it full circle. Each to their own lifestyle choices, needs & wants, our requirements are a country & location within it needs to meet a certain criteria to be at least on par with where we live now, otherwise - its off the list.

Location choices: Western Europe, North America or Australasia

Needs to be: safe harbour, majority of the people understand & speak English, stable government & economy, reasonable cost of living, moderate climate, low to zero tax, good available services, healthcare system where they know what they’re doing & are equipped, zero restrictions on entry or exiting the country, safe movement wherever we are, good banking system to move money in & out between countries.

What is not acceptable: in your face crime & corruption, bureaucracy, police state, violence, noise, tourists, domestic animals running all over the place, insects or creatures that bite, poison or that can kill you, extreme climate conditions, expensive cost of living, lifestyle restrictions & lastly, too many Brits hanging around.
Malta ticks all those boxes .... Except maybe the extreme climate one, but really can't you just buy an air conditioner and get on with it? Although I suppose you could say the same about a heater and Canadian winters...
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Malta ticks all those boxes .... Except maybe the extreme climate one, but really can't you just buy an air conditioner and get on with it? Although I suppose you could say the same about a heater and Canadian winters...
So you mean it ticks all this?
in your face crime & corruption, bureaucracy, police state, violence, noise, tourists, domestic animals running all over the place, insects or creatures that bite, poison or that can kill you, extreme climate conditions, expensive cost of living, lifestyle restrictions & lastly, too many Brits hanging around.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
So you mean it ticks all this?
in your face crime & corruption, bureaucracy, police state, violence, noise, tourists, domestic animals running all over the place, insects or creatures that bite, poison or that can kill you, extreme climate conditions, expensive cost of living, lifestyle restrictions & lastly, too many Brits hanging around.
Oh come on... You know I meant "ticks all the good boxes".

There isn't "in your face crime and corruption" or domestic animals running round (not anymore than the UK or Canada!), insects or creatures that bite (again, UK and Canada have those too! Bloody bees, anyone? Mossies?) Malta has a cheap cost of living, although there are a lot of brits down there.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on... You know I meant "ticks all the good boxes".

There isn't "in your face crime and corruption" or domestic animals running round (not anymore than the UK or Canada!), insects or creatures that bite (again, UK and Canada have those too! Bloody bees, anyone? Mossies?) Malta has a cheap cost of living, although there are a lot of brits down there.
Malta isn't that cheap though and it's overpopulated. Really depends what you're looking for.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013

Malta isn't that cheap though and it's overpopulated. Really depends what you're looking for.
It is overpopulated, i'll give you that. And the economy is simply shit. But its in the sun, I've family there and I like the place. I'd move there today if I had the means.

And its guaranteed not as expensive to live in as Canada is, or at least it evens out.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is overpopulated, i'll give you that. And the economy is simply shit. But its in the sun, I've family there and I like the place. I'd move there today if I had the means.

And its guaranteed not as expensive to live in as Canada is, or at least it evens out.
I'm not talking about Canada. Just said that Malta is overpopulated and not that cheap. The OP just said that people should do their research before giving up everything they have. You can always go on holiday to Malta. Apart from the language other places have just as much to offer if you want sun and cheap cost of living.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 7:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

epilogue ...

I came across the following as it relates to 'where to not retire to' so to speak 'where to retire to'

Hundreds of expat pensioners take up tax-free residence - The Portugal News

you can read the full article or go straight to the bottom of the article from which I clipped & c&p'd the following

"Castle Cover, insurance specialists for over-fifties, surveyed a total of 23 countries based on a number of criteria including rainfall, hours of sunshine, temperature, property price, petrol costs, murder rate and healthcare availability and costs, among others.

The expat community as well as the distance from home and grocery index were also used to decide on the best countries for retirement.

From their research, they identified the top ten countries that are best for Britons to retire overseas.
In top spot came Malta, which was found to have more than 3,100 hours of sunshine a year and an average temperature of 19 ºC, as well as having English as a first language.

Portugal came in second place, with the insurance company describing it as sharing time zones with the UK, retirees will find it remarkably cheap to live in Portugal - its three times cheaper to buy property here than in France. It also has the third largest European British expat community.

Other nations in the top ten included Spain, Barbados, the US, Australia, Thailand, Jamaica, Morocco and Greece."

Last edited by not2old; Oct 7th 2014 at 7:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.